“Average is the best that I can say”

Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed here for business and was real happy to leave. The hotel is clean and the staff for the most part is helpfull and unfortunately that is about all that I can say that is positive. I was here 5 nights and by the 4th night my back ached from the too soft bed, housekeeping was a disappointment they ether missed when replenishing the towels or the coffee for the coffee maker, but they did make up the room in a timely manor. The included breakfast was the worst, a complete waste, only good if you like cold cereal, the hot dishes where mostly a letdown. If I ever return to Norfolk I will look someplace else to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank RickW04
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport

Reviewed 4 September 2011

The Hampton Inn at Norfolk Airport is located far enough from the airport so that you do not get the feeling that you are at a typical airport hotel. It is located on the edge of a very nice businees park, surrouned by tress and with a full-service Hilton Hotel on the same property. Very nice. The Hampton in is a short drive to downtown Norfolk. Virginia Beach Town Center is about 10 minutes. It is about a 20 minute drive to the Va Beach resort area, via North Hampton Blvd-Shore Dr. The trip down Shore Dr is probably the most scenic drive in Norfolk-Va Beach. Don't miss the bay side neighborhoods of north Virginia Beach.. Great, gentle bay-side beaches and good local restaurants. This Hampton Inn makes a great base for exploring the entire Hampton Roads area, with Williamsburg only about 40 miles away.

The amenities are in line typical Hampton Inn standards, with free hot breakfast buffet included. There is also a small indoor pool... This hotel has a business location, but I would definetly consider a suite for a family visit to the area. The suites are equipped with a microwave and mini-fridge.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are quietest and offer the best view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank bobatom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Arrived; got a room that didn't match my request, bathroom light didn't work, and the walls were dinged up.

Called the front desk; they realized their error and asked me to come back down and get my new room key.

So from the far end of the 4th floor hallway with all my bags, back down to the front desk.

New room: 3rd floor...Smelled like sour milk. Horrible stink.

Called the front desk, was asked to once again come back down and they'd found a new room for me and also laughed that I must have "Bad Travel Luck".

Huh? Both issues of the hotel; first with not paying attention to the fact that I'd requested a fridge, and second because the room had a stink like someone spilled a latte on the couch and I have bad luck?

From the far end of the hallway 3rd floor, back to the lobby with all my bags; and back to the second floor. Why someone isn't meeting me at the new rooms with the key? I don't know...I guess this place doesn't exceed in customer service.

This time, a member of staff bolted up there to check the room before I got there; and saturated the room with some kind of fabreeze...Ugh.

Again, the room is ok, but in disrepair. The desk chair has some metal thing popping out of it and totally scratched up the desk, and snagged my jacket.
Nice.

Later this week, travel plans get reduced by a day.

Due to still working over half a day, a late check out would be preferred.
The person I speak with says they are almost sold out, and therefore the latest checkout they can do is 1p.

This is fine with me; but my coworker the next AM asks the front desk gentleman if they are still almost sold out; because a later check-out would really help with the rest of the travel plans.

The gentleman says they are not anywhere near sold out, in fact most people were leaving early but check on our way back into the hotel, if they still are not anywhere near full, then the hotel can extend to 3p.
This is perfect since we were working until at least 1p.

When we arrive back, we ask the young lady at the front desk who says, Yep- 3p will be no problem.

This is great because it means we don't need to rush.

So, we plan a quick meal across the street, then back to change, freshen up, pick up our belongings,and get to the airport.

We aren't gone 10-minutes when I get a call from the front desk girl who let's me know the manager asked her to call, and since the AM-gentleman front desk person didn't make any notations, we'd have to come back and get our belongings.

I confirmed with this girl that no one in fact followed up with the AM Ft.Desk worker to confirm before calling me; and that she had said yes 3p was ok; but she said her manager said she should call us anyway.

So, I opt to speak directly with the manager- Mary.
Mary says that even though she believes me; this is a business decision because of the volume.

Odd to me that 2 people prior confirmed the volume as no where near full; and that she failed to realize we are her business because her business is in fact, hospitality.

To be respectful, we leave the restaurant without ordering and gather our belongings.

It's here we get another piece of information from the cleaning staff, that they had offered to Mary to clean the room the next AM; and therefore not have to stay late since they were no where near full.

Keep in mind, this is Thursday and the storm won't be hitting this area until Saturday. 3 staff members let us know that there is no demand that would warrent being inflexible.

I understand that all businesses must operate with rules, but I'm confused by the objective: is hospitality the business?

There's a little plackard at the front desk that says something kitchy like, "if you don't like your stay, you shouldn't have to pay for it..."

From the room hopping, to the inadequate communication between the staff, to being interrupted at lunch to contradict something that was approved; really blows my mind.

I didn't expect this type of service from a Hampton Inn.

Here are my suggestions for improvement: 1- Tidy up the missing paint from the walls, the bathroom light switches, the rusting door frames, and the worn-out desk chairs.
2 - Make sure all your TV channels work; I had 3 that had no sound in my final room. 3 - go the distance for your guests, if you mess up their requests; Fix it and go out of your way to not make it the guest's problem to fix. Especially multiple time! 4 - Get good leadership; someone who makes the right decisions without a defensive, argumentative attitude.

Good luck Hampton Inn- You've got some work to do...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank katiesal
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I've had a hard time finding the "right" property in Norfolk when I travel for work. I used to stay at the Hilton next door, but the age of that hotel has badly caught up to it. I tried a Springhill a bit further out and wasn't impressed. This Hampton Inn will be my choice going forward.

Location/Check-In
The hotel is located off a very busy intersection of Norfolk, however as other callers have mentioned, if you can get an odd # room, you will be fine. There are a lot of businesses further back in this park, and I like that you can get to a traffic light from the hotel. It was easy to find, but can be hard to get into/out of during traffic. Check-in was fine and they met all room requirements. They have a little snack shop in the front which is great if you need to eat a quick snack or buy some soda/water.

Room
I was given a suite and it was excellent. The room is almost like a cavern it's so big. As you walk in there is a kitchen area that has a nice granite top, microwave and fridge (smaller ones). I love having a place to store my food, so this worked out well. There is a sofa and table in the suite and plenty of places to store my luggage on high (with the whole bed bug thing, you never want to put your luggage on the floor on upholstered furniture - absolutely not saying they have them, just a traveler's trick). The bed was large and very comfortable. I like how the Hampton chain uses a special fitted sheet under another fitted sheet as it does make me feel safer from bugs. The linens were clean and made use of the blanket in the hall.

The AC unit can get noisy, but it didn't really bother me too much. The LCD TV was great, and able to find CC without too much of a problem. The bathroom was clean and they provide very small amenities (shampoo, lotion, etc.). Water pressure was actually excellent and towels were soft. I did not hear a lot of noise from other rooms and I did not smell any cigarette smoke (they had only a handful of smoking rooms).

Overall
I was very happy to have tried this hotel out. The Hilton, although nice for Diamond members due to the upgrades, still has some issues to work out. This hotel was clean, quiet, staff friendly and made my trip more comfortable. I would definitely recommend it and will stay here in the future.

Room Tip: Odd # rooms are key
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My son and I stayed here the night before he had to report to boot camp at Norfolk Naval Station. Great hotel close to the base, airport, Virginia Beach and Portsmouth. Lots of restaurants and attractions nearby. Hotel breakfast is just OK. Room was huge, and clean. Hotel staff was great. There are a lot of other hotels in the area but we would definitely stay here if we came back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Kudos to the staff for making our family reunion a success. From reception to housekeeping and shuttle service, we received prompt and courteous service.

We will definitely return as a group and individually.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Good location from the airport. Just a basic no frills hotel. Breakfast was good, fitness room was convenient. I'd advise an odd number room as the even numbered rooms face the road and I know how some people are when it comes to road noise. Very convenient to Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: ask for odd numbered room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family