“A wonderful place to get away from it all!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Cortijo Carranque

Typical Scenery
Lakes to the North
Wonderful Walking
Citrus Orchards
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
lynne_pat...
Paisley, United Kingdom
“A wonderful place to get away from it all!”
Reviewed September 14, 2015 for a stay in September 2015

I came to Cortijo Carranque for a bit of a retreat, needing some rest and refreshment, and I couldn't have picked a better place. As hosts, Angela and Martin go a mile above and beyond the call of duty, with the perfect amount of company over meals and space by myself. I felt like I was welcomed into the family.

I was a little concerned about how remote it would feel as I didn't hire a car, but Angela and Martin suggested walks and places to visit, with maps all the instructions already written down, and then took me to the bus stop or picked me up from nearby villages. Their desire to service and bless the people who stay with them is way beyond what you would expect.

The meals were all delicious, my room was so comfortable and the little pool is a haven of calm. A perfect spot for an escape, and great if you are travelling on your own as I was.

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
adrientei...
“Felt so welcome”
Reviewed September 12, 2015 for a stay in September 2015

Tucked away from Coin but so worth the extra travel! We were made to feel at home by Angela and Martin who are so knowledgeable about this area. The room was marvellous and the bed so comfortable. Breakfast was copious and included. We had one evening meal there and that included aperitif, wine and nightcap! Excellent food. Marvellous value. We would have no hesitation in going back.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and comfort
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Families with young children
lilyp0nd
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Amazing place with wonderful wildlife”
Reviewed January 12, 2015 for a stay in May 2014

I had stayed here in 2013 and decided to go back in the Spring. For anyone with an interest in natural beauty and/or birdlife, CC cannot be beaten. Whilst there I saw amazing views of bee-eaters, golden oriole, Sardinian warblers, the ever present terrapins and various birds of prey. The highlight however was going down to the river in the evening. The light was so beautiful and to hear the frogs chorus and watch nightjars displaying was amazing. Martin and Angela are really friendly owners with a genuine warmth, you can partake of good food and have the freedom to explore the surrounding area. This is a fantastic choice for time out from the hustle and bustle of our world. I can't wait to have the opportunity to return.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location, beautiful walks and wildlife
Liked least: Coming home!
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 50-64
Dazeyduke...
“Fantastic location and brilliant hosts”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 for a stay in September 2013
person found this review helpful

I attended with a group for a wedding. I had a two year old with me and have to say I was amazed at how accomodating Angela and Martin were. They went out of their way to ensure my daughter had toys to play with, that all of the rooms were extremely clean and well stocked with all of the neceessaries. The location is literally in the middle of nowhere and is perfect for relaxation. My partner and I loved it and will be back. My daughter didn't want to leave!!
They both know the area and its history and are extremely helpful in directing trips and recommending places to eat and visit.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The peace and picturesqueness
Travelling group: Large Group
Helen T
Ringwood, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully peaceful and relaxing”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

Have just returned from two wonderful weeks staying at this wonderful place. Angela and Martin were lovely hosts and could not be more accommodating. If we needed anything we not had to ask. They even leant us their sun hats when w e mentioned we needed to buy some from somewhere! We were a party of 2 adults and 5 teenagers (including 4 15 year old boys), despite this were welcomed like family. We ordered an evening meal for out arrival day (recommended) and then cooked our own meals in the fabulous kitchen for the rest of stay. We did our food shopping in Coin, which gave us a choice of three very good supermarkets. There are also a good choice of restaurants if you prefer to eat out - I recommend the Indian! We hired a mini bus and went out every other day, Rhonda was lovely and a trip to the lakes is a must (we did it twice). mijas is also a very beautiful and unspoilt mountain village as we found the seaside resorts tacky and spoilt with mass tourism. The rest of the time was spent relaxing and reading by the pool during the day (big enough for our party) and playing board games in the cloisters at night. If you are looking for a fun filled, alcoholic fuelled holiday with nightclubs and bars galore then this is not the place for you. It's set down a very dusty track and really off the beaten track but oh so worth the journey for the peaceful tranquility.

A great place for the more active among you as there are a great many walks hikes that the hosts can recommend and plenty of singletrack for the mountain bikers (my husband took his bike and enjoyed the many hill climbs that the area had to offer), plus the river is just a 2 minute walk if you fancy that too.

Highly recommended for those that need to relax and unwind in beautiful settings.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peacefulness of it
Liked least: The ants - not a lot that the owners can do about that though!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
rlupetin
New York
“The perfect taste of rural Spain”
Reviewed July 3, 2013 for a stay in June 2013
person found this review helpful

The word that comes to mind for this trip is "warmth". From the weather to the hosts, it's all about being comfortable and welcomed. We actually had two greeting committees. The first was the herd of goats crossing the road as we approached the property. Next we were welcomed by the owners, Angela and Martin, with hugs, handshakes, and the requisite kisses on both cheeks.

The place is not for those who want room service and a pedicure. It's for those who want to wake to roosters, lounge by a lovely pool surrounded by lemon trees, barbecue in a beautiful courtyard, and relax in the perfect weather of Andalucia in a wonderfully restored cloister. A bottle of wine, some freshly picked oranges, surrounded by a dizzying array of flowers (lavendar, rosemary, myrrh, etc) - it's as close to heaven as you can get.

We rented a car, since that's the only way to access the property. We also took trips to nearby Marbella (about 1/2 hour) for the beach, the spectacular cliffs of Ronda (for brave drivers only), and the cosy town of Tolox (get the family style lunch). Our friends brought a GPS, and it helped immensely since the area is dominated by traffic circles and directions like, "make a left turn at the big white rock."

Malaga is also a relatively quick 30-40 minute drive where you can visit some great museums (Picasso) and historical sites, in case you want to break up the monotony of absolutely stress-free tranquility or if you want to listen to cars instead of the melody of goats, birds, and the lone donkey in the next field.

However, as this was sandwiched between trips to Barcelona and Madrid, we used it as an opportunity to just unwind and relax. Great conversations with the hosts accented the time we spent here.

About the only drawback was the general shortage of water the area experiences. The perfect dry weather comes at a cost of little rain. Bottled water and short showers are required. Remember, this is not the Westin hotel: it's a farmhouse in the Andalucian countryside.

We can't wait to go back.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The pool. The hosts. The flora AND fauna.
Liked least: Water restrictions
Travelling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
Megan2986...
Ankara, Turkey
“A place of beauty, quiet, rest and healing”
Reviewed May 29, 2013 for a stay in February 2012
person found this review helpful

My husband and I came to Cortijo Carranque more for a retreat than a vacation. We were searching for an affordable place where we could rest up before beginning new jobs overseas. I arrived exhausted and heartbroken from having to say goodbye to my family and dearest friends. On the way, Peter, trying to help me calm down asked me what was one thing that I thought I'd see in Spain that would make me smile. I whispered "Seeing mountains". I have always loved the mountains, they remind me of God and make me feel "hemmed in" and secure.
We were surrounded by mountains! And orange and lemon trees. And lovely birds singing. And warm sunshine. It was so healing to my raw heart, over and over I kept thinking God does know how to give good gifts to His children and thanking Him for knowing exactly what I needed.
The hosts, Angela and Martin immediately felt like long lost friends, so open-hearted, sensitive to our needs and caring.
We were able to sleep in as long as we wanted and enjoyed a leisurely, European style breakfast every morning (bread, cheeses, sliced meats, fruit, yogurt, cereal, fresh squeezed orange juice from freshly picked oranges!, jams, the most delicious honey from mountain bees)
Then I usually went outside, found a chair in the yard in the back by the pool and camped out there until lunch time (2 or 3 in the afternoon) taking in the beauty around me and trying to listen for God. It wasn't hard!
Then we would enjoy an authentic Spanish lunch cooked by their Spanish neighbour, then often Peter and I would go for a long walk exploring paths through the valley, up and down the rolling hills, along the rivers, talking and taking in the beauty and the sun and the fresh air.
On days we wanted to get out and sightsee, Martin and Angela graciously arranged that all for us too.
What a treasure of a place!

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The scenery surrounding the place.
Liked least: Nothing!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing