“Great Apartments” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 65 Hotels in Cala Millor
Milton Keynes
“Great Apartments”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2008

We have just returned from two weeks at the Hippocampo Playa Apartments. These apartments are lovely and clean, spacious, air conditioned and are situated on a beautiful stretch of beach at the top end of Cala Millor.

When we arrived there was only a studio apartment available which we stayed in for the first night and were moved to a one bed apartment when one became available the next day. We were given compensation of 75 Euros to spend at the poolside bar for our inconvenience.

We went on a self-catering basis but breakfast could be purchased from the nearby Hippocampo Playa hotel at a cost of 11 Euros per head. There is a poolside bar that serves food until 6 p.m. but closes at 8p.m. Evening entertainment was at the adjacent hotel on a nightly basis but in all honesty it was not the best but it was a nice place to sit and have a drink if you didn't want to walk into town. The apartments also hire out beach and pool towels for a small returnable deposit (15 Euros per towel), which if I had known before I went I would not have taken towels with me.

The main town of Cala Millor is about a 10-15 minute walk and has lots of shops and restaurants to wander around in the evening.

1 Thank BroonsMiltonKeynes

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
johnnytipp
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2008

my family and i have just returned from this hotel. we booked it on the back of the reviews we saw on this website and we were delighted with the holiday. it is a fabulous property where customer service is their number one priority. we arrived late on the first night and they kindlyleft a meal in our room for us. my wife and i traveleed withour 2 year olld girl and 11 yr old boy. he had a ball all day at the pool where there was never a shortage of sunloungers - no running down at 5.30am with towels. on our first night there was a double booking and they asked us if we would mind staying in 2 studios for that night and move into aour apartmment the next day. we didnt mind. the hotel gave us a €75 voucher for the poolside bar for our trouble. the airconditioning in the rooms was a godsend. breakfast and dinner were got in the hipocampa playa hotel - a 4 minute walk around the corner and were excellent. cala millor was a lovely resort and very cheap. it all lived up to my expectations and was true to reviews seen here

• Liked — closeness to beach
  • Disliked — bar closed at night
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank johnnytipp
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

These apartments in Cala Millor were a fantastic family orientated place. We were a bit wary because Cala Millor is generally regarded as a German resort but we had a great holiday and would go back in a minute. Our accomodation was situated right on a lovely stretch of clean beach with turquoise blue water. The spacious modern apartments were well maintained and were cleaned 6 days a week. All apartments have a sea/pool view. There was never a problem getting a sunbed and our kids loved the pool scene where they met lots of new friends from England, Ireland and Germany. We opted for half board - breakfast/dinner which you ate in the Hipocampo Playa Hotel which was a short walk away (the way I Iook at it is when you are self catering you have to either walk to the supermarket next to the apartments for supplies or walk to which ever restaurant you are having breakfast/dinner in). The food both at breakfast and at dinner was fabulous. One of the reviews we read said it only catered for Germans - this was rubbish. Both the quality and the choice was very good. The apartments had a bar/cafe next to the pool which was open all day till about 6pm which we ate lunch in and had some really nice sangria made with cava. The hotel provided the evening entertainment and the kids club but we only went to a couple of the shows which were ok. Our kids didn't want to go to the mini disco and didn't use the kids club as they enjoyed the pool so much. The main part of the resort is probably a 20 minute walk away. This suited us as we prefer it a bit quieter. We did walk into the main drag during the day a few times but my parents found the walk a bit much in the heat.

• Liked — Everything, the staff were very friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank charlottewalsh
surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2008

My family and I have just returned from the apartments (2 adults 1 three year old) and have has the most fantastic holiday. The apartments are great, from the moment you set foot into the reception, the staff are so friendly, everyone that worked in the apartments felt like friends, they are faultless. We had a one bedroom apartment which worked beautifully for us and it had everything we needed in it. The rooms are cleaned every day bar Thursday. The resort is very geared to the German market, but we didn't mind that at all. It was lovely to chat (all be it in English) to families from other countries, there was only one other english family in the apartments the whole 10 days we were there, so if you are hoping for an "english type" holiday this won' be for you. The whole place is spotless, even the pool side toliet is cleaned ever 2 hours. We used the sister hotel for dinner one night and found it was quite expensive and very German, OK for one night but I was glad we didn't go half board. There is entertainment in the hotel everynight but we preferred to go to the "strip" (shopping / eating area) so I can't say if it was good or bad.

The beach is a stone's throw away and is lovely, the water is crystal clear and perfect for ltitle ones. The resort has a lovely prom which we walked every night, very clean and safe. There is a lovely shopping / eating / bar area (the strip) where we found a great play area for our daughter. The whole resport is wonderful.

If you are looking for a truely FAMILY holiday then the apartments in Cala Millor are the ones for you.... a really fabulous place.

We booked through an online travel company called Flightline.com which was great, very helpful and we flew with Easyjet, again, really wonderful, and Flightline booked our transfer to the apartments with a company called ResportHoppa, we had a private car pick us up from the airport and take us back, no big coaches and lots of pick ups. The car had a car seat ready for my daughter and the drivers where perfect, really safe.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2008

I stayed here with my 5 yr old son changing from the hotel vistamer where we usually stayed.We had a studio apt on a half board basis and eventhough I read the reviews on tripadvisor,no one mentioned that in order to get to the dining room,you have to go out of the apt grounds and walk around the block to one of the sister hotels, which in the lashing rain,which it did, for 2 full days,was not worth the trip to thebuffet ,which I found very hard to swallow.The food was awful,and catered mainly for the Germans,which is fine but I found it so hard to get my son to eat anything.I struggled with it myself.The staff were lovely,the apt spotless,the pool area and snacks were grand but I would go self catering only,if I was going back there.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the food and having to walk to get there
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank everlovin
Waterlooville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2007

Me and my family have just returned from spending a week at the Hipocampo Playa Apartments and I just wanted to let other families know how wonderful this place is. The apartments are spacious and kept spotless by the maids, who clean everyday, except on a Thursday. The pool is fantastic and my kids (aged 7 and 9) absolutely loved it. Everyday the area around the pool, sun loungers and pool bar was cleaned to perfection by the staff. The bar staff are extremely friendly and the pool bar food was really lovely with such a wide selection to choose from. I've never bothered to write a review before, but me and my husband were so chuffed with this place, that I felt the need to. The only tinest thing that bugged me, was that I coulnd't buy an English paper at reception desk - they only catered for the German Residents, that also visit this complex.

• Liked — How clean the aparments were kept and how friendly the staff were!
  • Disliked — Too many Germans!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2007

We have just returned from a 10 day break with our kids (aged 9 and 11) and had a great time. We had a 1 bedroom apartment which was spacious, with a great view over the pool and beach. The living room had 2 sofa beds and the main bedroom, twin beds. it was spotless, as was the whole place and was cleaned every day except Thursday. Another bonus was the air conditioning whch we were really glad of in the last couple of days because it was so hot (37 degrees on our last day!).The kids loved it, playing in the pool on their lilo, eating Magnums, messing around in the sea (which is a 5 minute walk away), pure bliss! And no rush for the sunbeds. Cala Millor is a lovely resort and there are plenty of places to eat at night, our favourite was La Sangria, run by a very friendly gent who always has time to speak to the kids, and the food is excellent. The waiters and waitresses there are also really nice. Suggest you go early evening though as it does get very busy.

• Liked — The size of the rooms and air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family