We have just returned from a 9 day stay at the Melia Cala Dor ( 2 x age34, 2yr old & a 5 year old). This hotel certainly should not be sold as family orientated and without doubt should be ADULTS ONLY. The hotel is very small and quiet, not ideal if you have children of any age with you. Facilities are very limited indeed. Kids play area is poor and dangerous. Kids pool is TINY and doesn’t get sun at any point during the day. Breakfast was just acceptable in variety and quality. Limited choice, tinned fruit, cold tea & coffee, I could go on. The staff were stressed and over worked (not enough staff) and struggled to clear tables for waiting guests. The griddle and egg chef was also responsible for topping up breakfast buffet and struggled to cope. The tension was obvious for all to see. I don’t blame the staff, they tried their best. The management are at fault for not providing an adequate level of staff for the amount of guests. Service at the pool bar was patchy. Prices as one would expect. Pool was ‘refreshing’! After speaking with other guests, we chose not to eat in the restaurant in the evening due to bad reports and due to the fact that it was totally unsuitable for children. I understand that the food was poor overall and not worthy of being in the Michelin guide. There are plenty of nice places to eat in town and by the marina. Rooms are comfortable but nothing special. Shower is in the bath, even in a suite. An elderly lady we spoke to struggled to get in and out of the bath to have a shower. Surely 5 star establishments these days have a separate shower. This hotel may be ‘boutique’ but that certainly doesn’t mean 5 star! This doesn’t come close to a 5 star hotel. After reading the super reviews of the Melia Cala Dor on trip advisor, we booked this holiday. I guess it's all about expectations and previous experiences. There are so many hotels that knock the spots off this place in every way, real 5 star hotels and resorts that represent FAR better value for money. Would we return to Cala Dor, yes, but certainly not to this hotel. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN. We have booked for next year but will stay at the Blau Hotel in Puerto Petro, which is actually a 5 Star establishment, rather than pretending to be.
Just I final observation, I have never stayed in '5 Star' hotel that watch while you struggle to your airport taxi with 2 kids, a pushchair, 4 cases, hand luggage etc. It was the same when we arrived, no one to greet you or assist in any way. I made 4 trips back and forth from road side to reception with cases and bags. The receptionist was eating her lunch and saw us through the glass divide and eventually came over to check us in-nice!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meliá Cala D’Or Boutique Hotel is located in a beautiful Mediterranean garden, just 200metres from Cala Gran and 250meters from the city center Cala D'Or, offering the most relaxed and peaceful environment. The rooms decorated in the typical Majorcan style, surrounded by gardens. Fully-equipped bathrooms with hydromassage-tub. Discover superb fine dining at our hotel, serving a wide range of daily menus. Enjoy our Pool with hydromassage and children´s pool with playground area. Experience the SPA with fitness center, sauna, steam bath an on request massages. Como to visit us... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity.ca, Prodigios Interactivos SA, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Melia Cala d'Or Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Cala d`Or Hotel Cala d`Or
- Cala d Or Melia
- Melia Cala D'Or Boutique Hotel Majorca, Spain