“Is this really the Number One resort?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Viva Palmanova & Spa

Viva Palmanova & Spa
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
Maryland
“Is this really the Number One resort?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed here for three days; two nights to begin our two week holiday. We are a couple with no children and I still love to go out and party on holiday but when I get back to the hotel I want it quiet so I can sleep. I also like a nice quiet beach. Since Viva was number one on Trip Advisor it’s where we decided to stay. I must note that I don’t have children and had there been a nicer adults only resort close to the craziness in Magalluf I probably would have preferred to stay there. But since we spend all of our day time at the beach and not the pool; we had no problems. We also were staying in the upgraded rooms; mainly because we went during peak season and I didn’t want to have to get up a 7AM to get a sun bed. We went out every night so didn’t even get in until close to 7AM. It really was unnecessary though because the upgraded rooms are closer to the main pool and had we stayed at the resort we would have gone to the adult pool anyway.

The adult pool area was really nice but close to the bouncy house since we didn’t utilize it I don’t know how loud it was. We didn’t partake in any of the entertainment at the resort mainly because we were there to chill on the beach during the day and drink and party all night. The hotel gets really quiet around 11PM; which was fine; that’s when we were leaving anyway. The funny thing is we heard the entertainment every night as our room was very close to the stage. The Lionel Ritchie impersonator was HORRIBLE and loud. I don’t know why Lionel Ritchie impersonators are so popular in Palma Nova, we saw a ton of restaurant advertisements for them, but the one at Viva was ridiculously bad. We were trying to nap, prior to going out later that night, and spent his entire set laughing at how incredibly bad it was. It was actually quite entertaining.

ROOM: I must say I was not that impressed with the rooms at Viva. They were quite simple, bare even. The couch was horribly uncomfortable. The bed was good enough though. We had problems with our plumbing. Apparently, waste from another room kept coming up in the kitchen sink pipes. We didn’t spend much time in the room; so when I figured out where the smell was coming from I immediately called the front desk. Unfortunately the maintenance staff did not speak English and my Spanish is very limited so I don’t really think they even understood what the problem was. We left the next day so who knows if the problem was fixed or not.

FOOD: We did half-board so all we had was breakfast. On Sunday they don’t do breakfast in the restaurant so they drop off continental to the rooms the night before. We didn’t eat that, but the breakfast in the restaurant was nice, standard European breakfast. Fresh breads, loved it! We ate and drank out on the strip so I have no review of the bar or dinner there.

BEACH: It is extremely close; on the side close to Viva is the family beach. The Magalluf beach reminded me of Miami. All of the bars and restaurants line the beach offering drink specials and playing loud music. I preferred the family beach side; quieter.

It was good time but if I go back, and I loved Palma Nova I really want to go back, I would not stay there again, I would try another hotel. Viva was good for what it was, but I don’t really know why it’s rated number one here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank mzbuttons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Finnish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

Stayed for four nights. Room clean, comfortable and functional. High pressure shower and hot water when you wanted it.
We stayed room only but made good use of the pool,loungers and entertainment in the evening.
A 2minute walk down to the beach, restaurants and bars which we made good use of.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants good quality at an affordable price.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank HMP27
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

We have just got back from a very enjoyable 6 day stay at the Viva Palmanova. It is in a quiet spot but has easy access to Palmanova and shops, banks, cash points, chemist etc. I had followed the advice of other contributors, requested a quiet room with pool view. We were upgraded to a lovely room on the ground floor with its own private garden with padded loungers. It was right beside the children's splash pool which was great news for my 3 year old. The staff are lovely, especially the reception and restaurant staff. The reception staff, who obviously are under a lot of pressure due to how popular and busy the hotel is, could not have been kinder or more efficient. We got a lovely welcome and a very prompt reaction when I needed a doctor for my child late at night due to an ear infection.

The hotel is very thoughtfully laid out and a found a good spot by the pool where I could keep a close eye on my little one as she played in 3 pools or the well equipped children's play area. My daughter is very sociable and quickly became friends with children of several nationalities. Language appeared to be no problem to them! There was no problem getting sunbeds at any time of day and the pool areas are exceptionally clean as are all areas of the hotel and the bedrooms.

A boon to families is the provision of a laundry room with two washing machines and two dryers. Use of these is free of charge. You have to provide your own washing powder. The supermarket attached to the hotel is expensive but very convenient.

We went B&B but did eat some lunches and dinners in the a la carte restaurant. Breakfast was good but the layout of the food and drinks did mean that you do a fair bit of walking before you eat especially when you are trying to feed a picky child. The food in the a la carte restaurant was acceptable and tasty. The waiters were very helpful and made a great fuss of my daughter. The entertainment was of a good standard. We attended the Robbie Williams night with friends and all enjoyed it thoroughly. One improvement would be the provision of more English speaking TV channels. Having young children means that you do spend a bit more time in the evening in the room. There is only - BBC World - which doesn't exactly keep children amused. There seemed to be plenty of German channels offering a choice of viewing. We also spent two days in another hotel in the area - because the dates were not available at the Palmanova - and they had every BBC channel and Channel 5.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Viva Palmanova as an excellent hotel for families looking for a relaxing holiday. It is very well run and managed. The staff seemed happy in their work and were genuinely nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank PatG13
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Just got back from a nine day stay here and overall it was a good trip. The pool area is fantastic and the kids pool is like a mini waterpark which our children loved. There were no major problems getting sunbeds around the pool either and for safety there was always a lifeguard on duty. We stayed half board and on the whole found the food adequate, one or two nights great, one or two nights very average and although the restaraunt was the loudest I've ever known the waiters were prompt and polite. We had a room with a separate bedroom for myself and my wife, our kids slept on the sofas which converted into beds. Although spacious with a big plasma tv and even a kitchen area the room in my opinion was a little tired looking, but not dirty. Worthy of note was the excellent animacion team, they were brilliant with our two young ones and made a big fuss over them. Entertainment is in house and although they tried hard I've seen loads better in the big Tenerife hotels. The location is ok, not far from the beach but it's downhill via 70 (I counted) steps which on a hot day coming back up is hard work! The other guests were mainly european and we were amongst the very few english guests but i have no problem with that at all. I have to be honest and say that if your not bringing young children I would probably go elsewhere, if your viditing with the family its and ideal hotel. This place really grew on me and I would certainly visit this or other Viva hotels again in the future!

• Stayed August 2011
5 Thank DanMag35
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Enjoyed another stay in a Viva hotel. We stayed from 23-31st August and had a great time.

Great pools and plenty of poolside seating.

Very close to the beach either via the steps (70 to beach) or a 5 min walk downhill to beach.

We went half board this time after staying in the Viva hotel in Alcudia, however the food in general was not as nice as it was last year in Alcudia and the nearby restaurants were nicer (we had lunch and dinner out a few times) breakfast was great though.

Only gripe is the prices for drinks, 4€ for a local beer where most other places are offering bottled beer for 2€ and some were offering local beer for 0.5€.

Good thing however is if you are all inclusive they do offer a great choice of drinks included in your AI package including cocktails.

Rooms are the usual package holiday type and not better or worse than anywhere else.

You'll enjoy staying here if you have kids between 3-8 as they are made to feel very welcome by the kids club staff.

Room Tip: We stated in 3010 which was a privilage garden room. We never used the garden once. However the hote...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sherrjo
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

fabalous hotel/apartments. all inclusive great value, and favourite part is the adults only pool and the comfy beds for sunbathing. this hotel is in quiet location but yet around the corner from palma nova and magaluff

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lisa1983
Evesham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Visited for 10 days on the 22/8/11 and found the hotel to be excellent. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was varied and provided a good choice daily. The rooms were good, spacious and cleaned to a good standard. A good selection of pools for all with the bonus of an adult only pool if you feel the need to escape from your kids! There were always plenty of sunbeds available even though it was peak season and we watched amused as the sun bed police removed towels that people had put out early. Didn't use the Kids club as my kids were 9 and 11, but watched the entertainers do a good job keeping the kids entertained and the adutls with pool games. Evening shows were okay, some better than others but I have seen alot worse. The beach is about a 10min walk down steps to Son Matius beach which was very good for children. Palma Nova was okay full of usual tourist shops selling beach stuff, key rings etc but not much else but visit the House of Kathmandu which you can see from your balcony if you have a pool view.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family