All reviews lifeguard on duty pirate ship kids club family friendly hotel short walk to the main street every member of staff family oriented apartment block evening entertainment good size restaurant manager pool areas were clean great character main pool cold buffet animation team magic show
Reviewed October 18, 2016 via mobile

Excellent hotel, friendly staff, excellent food and drink. Facilities are good and good entertainment for children.
Good location within Peguera, close to beach. Rooms were clean and well equipped. Would definitely recommend

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank patnell2016
Reviewed September 7, 2016

Before I start, I’m going to be as objective as I can, due to the fact they moved us to another hotel on our first night due to over-booking.

So here we go, late afternoon flight from Liverpool all sorted and a lot less hassle than Manchester. For once our hotel was the first drop off so it took about 30 minutes from the airport.

Hotel lobby / foyer is very bright and impressive. It started going downhill then. Bearing in mind that this was 20:30 and we were pretty hungry and just wanting to get to the restaurant, unpack, a few beers and then the holiday could really start in the morning.

The lovely and sympathetic receptionist told us that the hotel was overbooked and they would transfer us to their sister hotel for this night only and then we can return in the morning after breakfast. I just stood there gobsmacked, bit my lip and said “I’m not happy, not happy at all and I would be complaining asap to Thomson”.

Anyway cut a long story/night short, we stayed in their sister hotel, had free food and beer and made the most of a bad situation.

In the morning we had breakfast, and were collected by our original hotel around 9:00 – 09:30, only to be told that our room wasn’t ready. We waited another 10 minutes before finally getting our key and we could start our holiday.

On complaining, two reps both said “This hotel do it all the time”, so be warned, if you book this hotel you may well have to play Room Bingo on your arrival.

Location

Peguera is lovely, so clean, so bright, so busy and so German. I knew the resort was predominantly German, but the extent was a shock. It seemed that German was the first language spoken here. However, this to me improved my experience of the town and I really enjoyed exploring it of a night. Apparently there is only one shop in the town that sells UK papers, (next door to the Santander building). I never saw one UK themed pub/restaurant, they were all either German or Spanish.

The beach is brilliant, as usual you have to pay for beds and umbrellas, 5 Euro for each item for a day, make sure you leave a towel of something on the bed if you leave it for a while so it doesn’t get resold.

The resort definitely gets a high 9 out of 10 off me, and I would return again if only to improve my grasp of German.

Room

Our double room was an average size, cleaned every day and with fresh towels, spotless each and every time. There is a safe in the room, but there was no door. When I queried this at reception I was told that there were safety deposit boxes available as there are no working safes in our block. As we were on the 4th floor and the deposit boxes were on the ground, it became a bind going up and down the stairs all the time, especially towards the end of our stay. The cost was 15 Euros per week, of which 5 is returned when you leave.

There were only three electrical sockets in our room, one for the tv, one by a bed and one in the bathroom. Charging all the gadgets was a balancing act. The tv only had two English speaking channels and were both news related. There was a hair dryer in our bathroom, but it cut out a lot during use.

As we were on the 4th floor we had a great view overlooking one of the pools and surrounding areas.

There was no fridge in our room.

Pools

Yes pools, there are two pools. The one we overlooked was at the front, a very good size and shape. The other pool was also a good size and situated at the back of the hotel. This was where the all the games and activities happened during the day and night, and also where the kids clubs were based.

Now here is a huge bonus, both pools have deep ends, and as a consequence there are no diving or jumping restrictions! There is a lifeguard on duty although I think they cover both pools.

The front pool was the one we used the most, and we never had to reserve a sun bed in the morning, in fact there were always beds available during the day. As we never frequented the activities pool that much, I don’t know if beds were harder to come by but I imagine they would be as when we did go around there, all the beds were more or less taken.

The difference in both pools and with their design and atmosphere, it did feel like you were in two different hotels.

There were also many secluded areas jotted around both pools that provided a nice bit of privacy should you need that. The pool at the front also has a spa, but the water was freezing so only my big toe got to use it.

There was a great pool bar at the activities pool and there was also a playground, a mini water park and a building for the kids clubs. I have never seen such excellent facilities for children in a hotel before. We may even go back with our grandson when he’s older.

The hotel provides towels at a cost of 1 Euro per day plus 5 Euro deposit. We lasted two days using our own towels before we used this service.

Bars

One main bar in the hotel, and a pool bar at the activities pool. There seemed to be a difference of opinion of what drinks were included in the All Inclusive package.

You do pay for bottled water and alcoholic cocktails.

Staff

Excellent apart from one who appeared to have the weight of the world on his shoulders, maybe he did – we’re all entitled to have off days.

All spoke German and English, but they all assume you’re German and greet you in German first. By the end of my stay, most knew my order at the bar as one of them taught me to ask for it in Spanish and they seemed to appreciate my efforts.

There is an abundance of reps doing all the activities day and night, they worked tirelessly and are excellent.

Evening Entertainment

A good mix of reps and acts, and the acts were of a high standard. The was a mini-disco thingy every night for the kids before the evening entertainment started.

Restaurant

Never seen this before, on your very first meal of you stay you have to go the desk right at the front of the restaurant and you are then assigned a table, and this is then your table for the duration of your stay.

Do not just go and sit at a table as you will be moved, as we were.

Not only are you given your own table, but if you are in a couple there is a 99.9% chance that you will have to share with another couple. I couldn’t understand why as at every meal we had there were plenty of empty tables to be found.

The fact that you had to share put a bit of a dampener on each meal, as the first thing you looked for on entering the restaurant wasn’t the food, but if the others were sitting at the table.

I’m sure it was just as awkward for them as it was for us. We shared with two different couples, both were not surprisingly German.

I reckon we shared the table for about 45% of our meals.

The food was excellent, something I’d expect in a four star, although breakfast could do with improvement in my opinion. I love a full English, even the varying attempts at it, but this one was the worst I’ve come across.

Beans and cocktail sausages only appeared twice in a week, so it was mainly bacon, egg and toast. Although they did do a mean omelette a few times during our stay. There were a couple of chefs on hand at breakfast to cook pancakes and the omelettes.

Of an afternoon and evening, there was so much variety to choose from, plenty of hot and cold dishes and all very tasty. This was definitely a four star buffet without question, if they sorted out a full English I’d even go for a five star buffet.

During our stay, in the evening they had a BBQ night and also a kebab one, but if you never fancied that there was still the same variety of choice available at the buffet.

WIFI

There is free WIFI although I found the signal in our room on the 4th floor dropped from time to time. In the main bar I easily streamed live tv from the UK with no problem.

In Summary

This hotel is definitely a high three star even with the Room Bingo on arrival. Even though I don’t know the criteria for a four star, I’m sure with a bit more effort this hotel could achieve it.

The things I feel they could improve on are, getting a safe and a fridge in the room with a few extra sockets, stop making guests share a table, add a few alcoholic cocktails to the All Inclusive package, improve on their UK version of breakfast, stop over-booking.

The stand outs are, the food, the cleanliness, the location, the facilities for kids, the staff, the pools and the atmosphere in general.

Would I recommend this hotel? Definitely if you have children up to Primary School leaving age, and even as a couple in our early 50’s it was still a very enjoyable stay.

Would I stay here again? I wouldn’t rule it out providing I was promised I wouldn’t be moved on arrival.

I hope my review helps.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the lower floors as lifts can get busy.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kev_Shim
Reviewed September 3, 2016 via mobile

I visited this hotel for a week at the end of August 2016. We stayed in an apartment which gave us plenty of room. The shower was a bit rubbish but can't complain as everything else with the accommodation was brilliant.

The hotel itself was great. The staff were all really helpful. The main pool was where we spent most of our time as our children found the water in the children's splash pool too cold!

The kids club was great as well but as most of the guests are German natives our children struggled to make friends and feel integrated because of the language barrier so they only ended up going a couple of times.

We were all inclusive and he food was amazing. Although there was only one restaurant they had theme nights which meant there was a variety of foods. Personally I wouldn't go all inclusive again because I like to experience the local restaurants but this is a personal preference and not a reflection of the hotel.

The beach is Peguera is amazing. One of the nicest beaches I've been to. It's only a short walk - around 10 minutes with our 2 young children so probably only 5 without slow X children!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to German guests. For English guests I would recommend with the caveat that you will be assumed to be German the whole time you're there!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2016

Don't be put off by the odd negative review. My family stayed last week on an all-inclusive basis and the hotel exceeded expectations; it's far better than its official 3 star rating.
Apart from the occasional sign of grumpiness from a waiter/bartender, the staff were overall very friendly, obliging and hard working. The reception staff are multi lingual so we had no communication issues and they were happy to provide street plans, bus timetables etc which we found helpful.
The public areas and bedrooms are well appointed and the entire site is spotlessly clean. The restaurant food is excellent, plentiful and varied, though the on-tap wine is awful (better quality wines can be purchased).
Other reviewers have commented that the hotel is popular with Germans, which is indeed the case, but I saw no evidence of the hotel focussing on, nor showing preference to, German guests.
We stayed in the apartment block with its own pool/pool bar and plenty of sunbeds - all very comfortable, relaxing and peaceful.
The outdoor evening entertainment was good at times but mainly average/poor. It was, however, all we expected having seen the same low budget format played out at other European holiday resorts. Nevertheless we enjoyed sitting out each night sipping cocktails in lovely surroundings.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2016 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel to probably one of the only friendly members of staff, Michelle on reception she was always happy to help and very friendly , however I cannot same the same about the rest of the staff in this hotel, the rest of the reception staff could not be any less of a help or any less welcoming . The waiter that came to our table every night to serve us drinks needs to learn about customer service and manners. Coming over to our table and grunting at us about what drink we would like every night was off putting and not at all friendly! The hotel is predominantly German, everything pretty much caters for the German's so if you're English I wouldn't recommend because you feel a massive inconvenience to the staff. Also had no rep for the week, couldn't find anything helpful about excursions because it was all in German. This is a massive shame as the hotel itself is lovely it just needs new staff because they are the most unwelcoming, rude people I have ever met and look like they want to be anywhere else but working there.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple