All reviews pool bar smaller pool main pool shopping centre fridge freezer salad self service minute walk evening entertainment wine and soft drinks on tap lovely hotel washing machine safe key local spirits plenty of sunbeds plenty of choice
Reviewed April 18, 2017

We've just returned from a week's holiday and it was our first trip abroad with our two girls. We've had a lovely week in the sun and met some great people. Hello to our lovely friends from Estonia, Manchester, Isle of Wight and Wetherby!

I'd have loved to have given this hotel a 4* 'very good rating' as it really is almost there and I feel 'average' / 3* is almost a bit unfair, in my opinion it just needs a tiny bit of improvement here and there.

First impressions of the hotel were good. We were greeted by very friendly and helpful reception staff and directed to our room. All rooms have a pool view and the hotel has a couple of quadrants, each with a pool at its centre.

Our room was clean, the bathroom was modern and had undersink storage. The towel rail was broken on our arrival but it was fixed within an hour for us. The shower had sufficient power but the levels and temperature were a bit erratic and went up and down (just needed to alter it as necessary).

The kitchen was fairly modern with microwave, oven, sink and fridge freezer and kettle. Only downside was there was very little crockery / utensils. I am guessing this is because most people choose the all inclusive option and don't need them, but still if you want to self cater you don't really have anything to use. I'm not sure if you asked the hotel if they would bring you what you needed (I'm sure they would).

The bedroom had two single beds pushed together with fitted sheets and a duvet. The pillows were a little flat (if not pretty none existent) and my husband asked twice for more pillows but didn't receive them. There was a huge sliding wardrobe in the bedroom with loads of storage and a safe (you have to pay a deposit to use the safe). It was the best holiday wardrobe / storage I've seen at this rating. Plenty of it.

The sofa bed was very easy to pull out and there was a small single bed on castors under the sofa bed itself that could be pulled out. we didn't use this as it moved around the floor too easily and both girls fit on the sofa bed. There was no fitted sheets, pillows or duvet provided for the sofa bed and when we asked for them we only got two more thick wool blankets and that was all but these were fine. My daughters used the decorative pillows from the sofa itself. I had to use the sofa bed one night myself when my youngest went in the bedroom with my husband and I didn't find it very comfortable there was a big raise in the middle and the edge sloped down but it was ok for kids I guess. We did notice a big nail sticking out when we put the bed away on our second day which the girls (and ourselves) could have really hurt ourselves on. We mentioned this to the reception and it was sorted and fixed in a few hours.

There was also a breakfast bar style table a coffee table and 4 stools in the main living area and we had a table and two chairs and a clothes airer on our balcony.

There's no hairdryer or iron so do remember to bring your own. If you have an upstairs apartment be aware there are 15 steps up to the apartments (just mentioning for anyone like me with mobility issues).

The pool area was very clean and well maintained however the main pool and the children's splash area were freezing. It was ok once you were in (23-29 degrees out of the pool while we were there) but you had to prepare yourself to take the plunge initially. The sunbeds were ok but not the most comfortable. Still plenty of them available.

The buffet was average. You could generally speaking find something to eat but after a while and 3 meals a day it was repetitive. There was a salad bar for every meal.

At breakfast you could get cereal, yogurt, pastries / croissants, pancakes, fruit, ham / cheeses, scrambled/fried eggs, sausages, bacon, eggs, beans and sometimes tomatoes / mushrooms.

At lunch / dinner there were choices such as soup, salad, ham/cheeses, pizza, rice, bean chilli, pasta, bolognaise style sauce, fish, chicken, different veg (some days carrots, some days brocolli, some days green beans or cauliflower) and goat stew / curry.

The desserts were nice but the same every day (same mousse's and cakes).

Drinks are available from machines throughout the day (water, hot drinks, fruit juices, soft drinks, wines and beers). It would be good if a drinks container was provided in each apartment fridge to allow you to fill it up with water daily as we had to go buy some at the supermarket in a bottle and then fill it up as otherwise the only other option is small plastic cups. I didn't try the wine on tap but people said it wasn't that great. You could purchase bottles (which were on view in the restaurant). The pool bar and entertainment tent bar also sold cocktails and other drinks like malibu, vodka etc.

The entertainment girl was lovely and really tried hard with minimal resources but there was room for improvement and she acknowledged that. She did a morning stretch in the outdoor eating area near the main pool and ran games throughout the day (largely taken up by the young people / kids). I would have done aqua aerobics had I not hurt my foot on our 3rd day! I didn't see it take place but not sure if that's because she got no takers or it just didn't happen. There was a lovely young girl who ran the kids club. I think she was new the week we were there. She was very nice and friendly and the kids jumped at the chance to go along and have some fun out of the sun for a few hours. The evening entertainment took place in a large marquee with a stage at the front and a bar at the back. Personally we didn't find it very welcome. It was all plastic chairs and tables and had no atmosphere. The entertainment didn't start till 9pm (sometimes a mini disco at 8.30pm). You could hear it in your room so if you did want an early night you could still hear it in some areas (we were close to it) and it went on until 10.30/11pm most nights but not a lot they can do about the sound really as it is in a marquee. We popped in a couple of times but it wasn't our cup of tea.

After a few nights eating in at the resort we opted to go down to the main strip as they call it. You can walk it from the hotel but it's probably a good 30 minutes at least. As I had mobility problems I couldn't manage but it only cost us 3-4 euros in a taxi each way and once called they are with you within 5 mins. I can recommend the following places to eat out:
Poco Loco's
Lotus Flower asian restaurant
Olivio
Rock Cafe
Seven Pints Pub (If you want a drink in a safe square where the kids can play with entertainment.

The main strip also has some really good fashion boutiques, perfumeries and smaller gift shops.

There's also a nice shopping square not far from the hotel with a small selection of shops, bars and restaurants and and a supermarket. There's a craft market twice a week there too.

The hotel did their first paella and sangria demonstration while we were there with the manager cooking and it was set up in the poolside eating area. The set up looked really good and they had michael a local singer entertaining with some reggae tunes. I think this was some of the best entertainment that week and would suggest that the hotel utilise that outdoor space much more as it has a better atmosphere, is central and more welcoming.

I had an unfortunate accident with my ankle when I was out with a meal with my family one night ( no alcohol involved!) and the hotel staff and rep were great in helping me get the aids I needed to get around. Nothing was too much trouble.

Overall I have nothing to really complain about with this hotel, it was a 3* plus and what I expected really following the reviews I had read. I have no real complaints, just suggestions for improvements. Our family had a great holiday and would recommend it to others.

Room tip: upper rooms have 15 steps up to them so be aware if you have mobility issues
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Caroline S
Management response:Responded April 22, 2017

Dear customer, thank you for your time in writing your comments.

Thank you for everything and hopefully you can come back again.

The suggestions will go to the quality department

Reviewed April 18, 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 11 nights with 5 kids ages from 7-15

We had rooms 131 and 132 with an interconnected door

Hotel looks nice nice setting large pool with a smaller one round the side

We always sat by smaller pool as larger one near pool very busy and sun beds always gone

Could always get subbed near smaller pool

Small park ok for younger kids

Food was quite repetitive kids got a bit bored after a week but a lot of fish dishes breakfast are best meal

Drinks not changed often enough numerous times went to self serve machine and they had run out

Alcohol ok not strong at all could drink all day and not be affected

Hotel was clean rooms not cleaned on Fridays and Sunday

Smaller pool very strong chemicals messed my partners eyes up and swimwear

There's a small shop 5 mins down the road and then about ten minutes to small pretty shopping centre and market stalls, another 20 mins to larger shopping centre

Entertainment was rubbish in a big tent usually empty as people gone else where

Kids bored as nothing to do

Nice holiday but wouldn't come back

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank aimeerr

Dear Customer
I want to thank you for your stay in the hotel I happened to comment several things.

I am very surprised that I do not want to return since according to the comments you have been very well and satisfied by the service.

I would beg him to come back and give us the opportunity to make him change his mind

Reviewed April 17, 2017

I went for a week to this hotel whilst I was 6 months pregnant with my 9 year old son (husband was working).
I booked this hotel for 3 main reasons - splash park, kids club, entertainment.

I booked this holiday from Jet2 almost 2 weeks before departure on an all inclusive basis for £1020.

When we arrived at our hotel lunch had finished so we thought we would get a snack as it was snack time. There was nothing available. My 9 year old was starving and had to wait for dinner. Not very all inclusive. It was very difficult to know what each item of food was and being 6 months pregnant this meant a lot of items were out of bounds for me as I did not know what they were. The fruit was very disappointing and of very poor produce. My son lived on bread and pasta all week. Lunch was by far the best meal of the day.
'Snacks' were whatever breakfast pastries had been left over from the morning. No chips or any kind of hot foods. On occasion there were sandwiches ready made and sat at the pool bar all day.

The kids club was open ONE AFTERNOON whilst we were there. This was extremely disappointing and frustrating as this was one of the reasons we had selected this hotel. The club not being open also meant that I could not take advantage of some of the other onsite facilities such as the gym and spa.

The kids splash area (another reason I booked this particular hotel) was only open from 11.00 - 13.00 and 15.00 - 14.00! and at that this was only on paper! The splash park was often closed all day and when I questioned reception I was told they didn't know why and I should speak to animations team. I had no idea who the animations team were or why they would have responsibility over this.

The children were also not allowed inflatables in the pool after being allowed them the first half of the week with no issue.

The man who also appeared to be on reception was really rude. There was a queue waiting to speak to him and then one man walked around the other side of the desk and shouted to him that he wanted to rent a car and all of a sudden the reception man stopped dealing with the people waiting and spent all his time with this other man!

Then there was the 'entertainment'. This was another really important factor for me when booking as previously explained I was going on my own with my son and was 6 months pregnant and so I wanted to have everything onsite so that I did not have to go anywhere. Nothing was on until 9pm. Nothing. On the first night we waited and waited. The bar man told us it was starting at 9.30 that evening. 9.30 came and went so he told us it must be 10 that evening. 10 also came and went so we left and went back to the room. Turns out later on that it was an evening out that night and had the bar tender told us that when we arrived to the entertainment hall at 8.30 we could have went. Every other night the show started late and lasted a maximum of 45 minutes. Appalling. No kids disco no nothing.

There was no air-con in the room.

10 euros to hire the remote for the TV - dont bother as only 2 english channels which are both news channels.

Need to hire the hairdryers too.

The bathroom in the apartment flooded every time you took a shower. The shower screen sat at least an inch above the bath. The frequent flooding of the bathroom was evident in the rotting wood cabinet at the sink.There was no way to take a bath as no plug. Apparently this was one of the many things that required a deposit.

There was a washing machine in the apartment which we thought was great! Until when it told us it was finished so we opened the door and all the water was still in the machine and poured everywhere!

I also found the hotel to be very pushy and intimidating with their 'forms'. You were not issued with your room key until you signed a form to say that unless you complained to them during your stay then you could not complain after? and also on check out that you had not been ill during your stay. These were mandatory and not optional. This was quite intimidating.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank KcMc45

1º Inflatable floats are prohibited by law in any pool for safety

2º I am very satisfied that you are pregnant and we wish the best for you and the future of the baby, in the buffet area has posters indicating that if you are allergic any product will meet the restaurant staff, also all The meals are marked with a sign

3rd Mini-club we have the only day that there is not (and this is already solved by hiring one more) is when the cheerleader pound, of the rest we had mini-club and with children since I myself personally have seen

I'm sorry that your stay was not to your liking, we have a very high satisfaction index.

I hope I can see you again and I can change my mind

Reviewed April 17, 2017

Lovely hotel fabulous friendly staff spotlessly clean and the most comfortable beds ever. Food always found something to eat, pool area great and always sunbeds available though pool was very cold. Our room overlooked pool so had sun all day. Entertainment limited but hotel wasn't full and the young girl did her best. Well placed for bus station and shopping centre and only 20 minute walk to town centre or 3/4 euros by taxi. Excellent value

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank barryandjanet

Dear Customer
I want to thank you for your stay in the hotel, we work very hard to satisfy the guests who are ospedan in our hotel.

We hope to see you again

Reviewed April 16, 2017

A day off meant a chance to pop over to the neighbouring island for a mini break. After a short 20 minute boat ride to Fuerteventura followed by a 10 minute car ride, we arrived at the resort which is quite easy to find and only a 10 minute walk from the centre of Corralejo.

Parking outside is free.

We had the all inclusive offer. Check in was swift, efficient and professional. Wifi is free in reception.

Walking to our upper floor apartment we passed a busy pool area where it was obvious that there were more guests than sun lounges available but around siesta time a few sun lounges became free. Being Easter, there were a lot of families there but was not too noisy.

The room we had was very clean, great kitchenette (which we didn't use), flat screen TV, spacious and had a small balcony overlooking the pool.

We managed to get to lunch with 5 minutes to spare as the dining room closed at 3pm. Varied selection. We returned for dinner...repetition of the same three fruits and desserts from lunch but the food was again varied and something for everyone including me a vegetarian.

Breakfast the next day was busy so some people were waiting to be seated when we arrived around 9am (service stops at 10am). The staff were very efficient, polite and engaged in conversations with the guests ensuring a great service. Tables were cleared and prepared quickly. Once again a good selection although the size of the scrambled eggs tray meant the large amount prepared cooled & dried very quickly.

The bar outside the restaurant is a self service bar, lots of drinks available even for the non-alcohol drinkers...3pm until 5pm pastries/savouries are available. The advertised 5-6pm 'tea time' was non existent. I read that until 11pm, alcoholic drinks are free.

Overall, Arenas Beach is an efficiently well run resort and clean. Its location means that it is quiet, relaxing and safe.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends