“Bar J is not your quinoa-based Mexican food.”
Review of Bar J Chili Parlor

Bar J Chili Parlor
Ranked #4 of 19 Restaurants in Occoquan
Reviewed March 31, 2018

It's Texas roadhouse grub and some of it is great.

I ordered the cheese enchiladas because that's always my first test for Tex-Mex food. Bar J's almost brought tears to my eyes. The enchilada was filled with cheese, onions and green onions, with plenty of real, melted jack cheese on top. I choose Texas, no beans, chili for the sauce.

This is stick-to-your-ribs-follow-you-home-and-keep-you-company-at-night food. It brought back memories of childhood in West Texas. As you can see from the photo below the dish had just the right amount of grease (I'm searching for a more appetizing word, but no luck). It was soo good I'm going to have trouble ordering anything else the next time I visit.

The other dishes we ordered weren't up to the standard set by the enchiladas. Keep in mind at Bar J the price includes just the entree. My enchiladas didn't come with frijoles or rice. You must order those as sides.

My wife had enchiladas with 'green chile sauce.' She was disappointed because the sauce was not a traditional green chile topping, instead it was a tomato-based sauce with a few chopped chiles added.

We also had a problem with the tamales. The default sauce is 'Cincinnati Chili.' When we moved here I was shocked to learn I'd been eating Cincy Chili all my life, only we called it spaghetti sauce and it has no business on tamales. And unfortunately the melted cheese on top is the concoction that looks like Homer Simpson brewed it at the plant. Not at all like the real cheese on the enchiladas. The measure of a good restaurant is how it responds when there is a problem. Bar J passes. The young lady serving immediately offered to bring out some Texas Chili which does belong on tamales.

I'm going back when I can. My advice is avoid the spaghetti sauce and initially stay with the basics.

Reviewed March 4, 2018

This is a great little gem ...a reopening of a local, long-time tradition...Bar-J is about as common to area history as the Civil War. Their chili is renowned, and this new version of their old restaurant is no let-down. the peeps are great, and the back patio area is fantastic for hanging out on the river...Good menu, decent $$...clean, friendly. All the major locals step in here, or you just ain't nobody! Have fun!

Reviewed February 24, 2018 via mobile

We stopped off at the Bar J on the way home from shopping and since it was a rare 75 degree afternoon in February my Bride and I decided on the Patio. The chips and salsa are great! My wife had the Taco Salad, which was huge. I had the Wet Burrito the was barely contained by the plate.

1  Thank kganley626
Reviewed January 22, 2018

I'm a chili hound and know my way around a bowl of chili. Just saying.

This is dang good chili ... trust me ... git there and git it. Now.

1  Thank RamblinJAG
Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

It was a beautiful day so we decided to eat outside.... great choice! The patio was clean and inviting (with umbrellas for shade), with an amazing soloist! The food is delicious, not over-priced, and is the perfect portions. And no fillers or sides to take away from the entree. Staff was knowledgeable, kind, and very attentive (but not annoyingly so).

1  Thank Lindsay R