“Brunch with Friends”

Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Occoquan
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You don't have to brave the airlines to visit an authentic little European neighborhood bistro. Come down to the quaint riverfront town of Occoquan for a little boutique shopping and finish up with a visit to our cozy bistro for a fine Belgian beer and a delicious meal. We are serving up always-fresh, always-homemade European bistro specialties, a selection of 60+ Belgian and Belgian-style beers we know you'll love, and a whole lotta coziness and welcome. Are they the freshest Prince Edward Island Blue Mussels and the crispy-creamiest fresh-cut Belgian Frites? You bet! Is there a beautiful street-side brick outdoor patio? Yep, we've got that, too. No fancy frills, just great beer, wine, and good, freshly prepared food. Oh! And we forgot to mention the delicious Non-GMO waffles. But you won't...see you soon! !
Reviewed September 14, 2017

This is a small place with lots of character. They have indoor and outdoor seating, but the trees shed at times so we opted for the interior. Mimosas were wonderful, along with the quiche and a small salad. The serving size on the quiche was quite small, but others in our party had large servings of what they had ordered. Service was great.

Reviewed August 13, 2017

We visited Occoquan on a Sunday after about ten years since our last visit. Avoiding the overcrowded waterfront restaurants, we chose the Bistro. It was a mixed/good experience that I enjoyed more than my wife did.

My wife's entree' (an Eggs Benedict Florentine) was far too oversauced for her taste but I guess this is typical of French/Belgian cuisine. I enjoyed the smoked salmon appetizer and a charcuterie plate. We shared an order of deliciously crisp french fries. I washed my meal down with an excellent Cote' du Rhone red wine. The next table received two orders of mussels each sauced differently. They looked and smelled great and I would go there next time.

Service was quite slow but attentive, probably a kitchen issue. The place also appeared it would benefit from a good, deep cleaning but I am not that fussy although my wife is.

Overall, I enjoyed it and would go again but probably would have to go by myself.

Reviewed August 13, 2017 via mobile

We rarely find a babysitting to go to brunch , so we were excited. There are no reservations, but "call ahead" is allowed the day before. We called ahead. We were on time but told to come back in twenty minutes. When we returned, we were handed Dinner menus. I saw Waffles, so I thought nothing of it, but there were no dishes with Hollandaise sauce nor eggs. Food was average and waiters spent a lot of time apologizing for confusion. It was aggravating. They pointed out we had the wrong menus as if it was our fault, then explained it happens often, then apologized after we paid. So, no brunch. Mussels were okay.

1  Thank Hyborian39
Reviewed July 19, 2017

I really wanted to like this place. A girlfriend and I decided to meet here for our annual July birthday lunch as somewhere quaint and different than the usual chain restaurant. She ordered one of the mussel dishes and it was good (I got a small taste). Unfortunately I opted for the asparagus and prosciutto appetizer plate and it was too salty, almost inedible for me. I told the waiter and his only response was that he could box it up and maybe later it would dry out and not be so salty! Okay. So I decided to take another chance and order the shrimp croquettes. Flavorful, but if there was any shrimp in them I certainly couldn't find it!! So for me, the food was a definite miss. But the worse part of all is, despite us telling them we were celebrating birthdays, they made no acknowledgement whatsoever. Okay, it may be cheesy when the servers come out and sing "happy birthday" to those celebrating and bring out the obligatory cupcake or ice cream, but at least the large chain restaurants try to acknowledge a special occasion! At this place, nothing. Not even a "happy birthday." Very impersonal. And oh yeah, of course they charged me for the prosciutto! Definitely won't be returning.

1  Thank LaurieCE
Reviewed July 12, 2017

Tiny but tasty for brunch and casual - casual eating. Then later in the evening it seems to switch to an outdoor drinking and smoking pub with some food.