Review Highlights

An absolute must-see

Reviewed August 20, 2023
gw2047
Atlanta, Georgia

All reviews boat tour parking lot km walk top deck gravel path towering cliffs stunning scenery gros morne mobility issues natural beauty highlight of our trip easy hike dock fjord pond bon boats
Selected filters
Reviewed September 5, 2023

We booked with Out East Adventures in Rocky Harbour, NL. At $325 per person, I definitely had second thoughts, thinking I could probably do something similar for free. But honestly, having done it now with experienced, friendly and knowledgeable guides who explained so much about the geography, the geology, the flora and fauna, it was totally worth it. Not to mention, of course, you wind up at the most iconic spot in Gros Morne.

Here are some tips: my husband and I are in our 40s and probably a little above average fitness. We have never done anything like this, only having done shorter, hilly romps in the woods. We did break a sweat (it was 25 degrees C, after all), but never found ourselves out of breath, even when the climb got steep. That said, there were others in our group who found it difficult, and one did opt out of the final ascent because he feared he wouldn't be able to handle it (the guides said this happens almost every trip, and there is an alternate lookout with a similar view). No offence to the person, but they did appear to be out of shape, was out of breath and sweaty quite quickly, and started joking about needing a helicopter early on. There were some older folks in our group who were a little slower, but they were very limber and still made it up, down and around all the rocks and trees with relative ease. The detailed description trek on their site is accurate–you are using your whole body at times to make it up. You will get wet, you will get dirty. By the end of the day, we were weary, but felt great.

I wore a long-sleeved moisture-wicking shirt and gym shorts, but should have worn pants–my legs are kinda banged up from multiple encounters with rocks and trees, and a few tumbles. They recommend hiking boots, and so would I–or at least hiking shoes. I wore trail running shoes and I would have benefited from waterproof footwear that was a little sturdier. Definitely don't go with any footwear not designed for mud, water and rocks; do go with footwear that is broken in and supportive. Wear breathable clothing that dries easily. My husband regretted his cotton sweatpants. We found ourselves in the heat of direct sunlight at times, and at other times in the shade and cooling breezes from caves. I brought a jacket but never needed it, but my husband did--he only wore a short-sleeve T-shirt.

Also, snacks. We ate all day. We brought nutritious snacks (protein bars, fruit, fruit snack bars), a proper lunch (turkey wraps with spinach, some hard boiled eggs, carrots and cherry tomatoes), and lots of water. Good news is that there are springs with potable water along the way, so while it is probably a good idea to come prepared, it was great to fill up as we went. You definitely want to make sure you replenish your electrolytes, especially if you sweat a lot. They sell tablets at the tour centre when you have your orientation.

They sell a lot of gear at the centre, including insect nets for your head. I had bug spray with DEET and that was enough for me, but the bugs weren't that bad. They tell us they can be much worse.

It should go without saying now that a comfortable backpack is a necessity.

Date of experience: September 2023
1  Thank 586MichaelT586
Reviewed August 20, 2023

Western Brook Pond (and the tour) is incredible! If you're visiting Gros Morne - or anywhere on the West coast of Newfoundland - you should try to see this. It does require a short, relatively easy hike to get to, but it's totally worth it. The views along the trail to the boat landing are really beautiful.

Date of experience: July 2023
1  Thank gw2047
Reviewed August 13, 2023 via mobile

Amazing scenery, very well maintained path (more of a walk than a hike), easy to find, free to enter. Lots of people walking — all friendly.

Date of experience: August 2023
Reviewed August 9, 2023

We just walked the walking trail, enjoyed an amazing two hour tour with Jamie, KJ (guy who play the guitar). It was an amazing tour with some awesome information and history and ended with KJ playing traditional NL tunes in a kitchen party atmosphere on our way back to the dock….well worth the cost, we definitely got our monies worth and then some. We will highly recommend this to our friends and family. Thanks to all who made this happen!

Date of experience: August 2023
Reviewed July 28, 2023

The boat trip in Western Brook pond was the highlight of our trip in Gros Morne Park. It was a nice hike down to the water, and the boat ride was beautiful. The boat guides provided a lot of information, and they made sure that both of the sides of the boat saw the views. Try to get a seat at the top of the boat for the best views. The boat ride was 2 hours, not including the hike, so plan to spend about half a day here.

Date of experience: July 2023