“Good restaurant but I've eaten much better”
Review of Seaside Restaurant

Seaside Restaurant
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Winner of Hall of Fame Restaurant! Harp Music on Sunday & Wednesday evenings! 7 to 9 pm Seaside Restaurant is located in the most scenic part of GROS MORNE NATIONAL PARK, in the small fishing village of Trout River (Route 431), on the beachfront overlooking the ocean with its spectacular sunsets & a kilometer of boardwalk... less than a 10 minute drive from the Tablelands Exhibit. Enjoy the best of Newfoundland cuisine and enjoy beautiful sunsets over the water. After a hike up the Tableland Mountains, or a boat tour up Trout River Pond, this is a great place to come and relax with some real cultural delicacies and picturesque view. Great Food, Great Wine & Great Views of the Ocean! NEW FALL HOURS: 12 noon to 8:30 pm
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My partner and I ate at the Seaside Restaurant in Trout River for dinner recently. Even though it was a Friday night it was very quiet with few customers. Upon arrival we were promptly seated upstairs at a window table with a wonderful view. Iced water was provided without asking which is not as common these days as one would think or hope for. I’m amazed at how often I have to ask for water in a restaurant.

There were a number of items that were on the menu that were not available that evening but they did have some items added on that aren’t normally on the menu. We both ended up ordering the same meal, the cod dinner (CDN $20). The fresh, hot dinner rolls that were provided prior to our meal were absolutely wonderful and I could have easily eaten a few more. The dinner rolls were the BEST part of the meal.

The cod was very good and nicely cooked (pan-fried). My french fries were OK but nothing special and my partner’s baked potato was as expected. The vegetables that came with the meal were just OK. We both felt that the carrots were overcooked (not unusual in Newfoundland) and the quantity of broccoli was very limited.

I had a piece of pie for dessert and while it was “homemade” it wasn’t anything special, in fact a bit disappointing due to the crust. The pie crust in Newfoundland is often very different from what I am used to (being a mainlander). It is like a shortbread or biscuit-style crust versus what I consider to be a traditional pie crust. The filling, while tasty, was jam-like, lacking any real variation in consistency. I am used to strawberry rhubarb having chunks of rhubarb and strawberries.

Beer was cold, wine was ok, and both were priced relatively reasonably but slightly high for what I’ve experienced in Newfoundland. Service was attentive and pleasant.

Some previous reviewers have mentioned entertainment. While we did see a stage area with a few instruments there was no entertainment around 6 p.m. on a Friday evening. Considering Friday should be one of the busiest days in a restaurant I'm somewhat surprised that the entertainer wasn't there. Perhaps we were too early. Honestly we weren't there for music anyway so it didn't affect our experience.

Dinner for two including two glasses of wine, one beer, and one dessert with approximately 15% gratuity was just under $80.00 CDN.

2  Thank Gutch2

Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband and I dined here twice in July 2011. We were grateful that rice is an option as a side dish since we do not like eating potatoes. The cod and caplin were incredibly fresh and the live harp music during our second dinner was a classy touch. An after-dinner walk along the boardwalk was a great way to end the day. Try to get a table on the upper floor for the best views.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

They say you get what you pay for. Well, here you get very well prepared seafood with an outstanding, sweeping view of the wide bay at Trout River. Entrees range from $19 to $25, more than I can usually stomach, but we splurged because of the outstanding location on the ocean at Gros Morne National Park. My wife said the scallops on a bed of rice were the tastiest she has ever had, and I very much liked the poached salmon. Our table was right next to a second floor window and we watched from above the sand beach and boardwalk as the sun slowly descended. They have an outdoor deck, too. Our waitress was the granddaughter of the couple who founded the Seaside, and her parents are the proprietors now. The service was fine and decor, though not fancy, was pleasant.

1  Thank RoadTripRoger
Reviewed 15 August 2010

My wife and I each ordered clam chowder and a toasted cheese sandwich for lunch. The chowder was tepid, had little flavour, and came in about a half-cup size. This was by far the poorest restaurant we experienced on our 16-day trip through Western Newfoundland and Southern Labrador.

Reviewed 5 August 2010

We had a wonderful dinner of crab and salad. We were outfitted with bibs and given plenty of time to enjoy the food and the view. Trout River is out of the way for most travelers, but worth it to get a feel for an authentic fishing village. The western coast of Newfoundland is dotted with these gems. Seaside Restaurant was far more reasonable than others we saw in some of the larger towns up north.

1  Thank enneagram9