“Memories Flamenco Cayo Coco” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Leamington, Canada
“Memories Flamenco Cayo Coco”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were here March 3-10th. I agree with alot of what Ontario Couple has to say except for a few of their experiences differ from ours. I didn't think the food was bad, just typical of all inclusive resorts. You should be able to find something to eat. My son is the fussiest eater in the world and he enjoyed the pizza, poutine and grilled chicken every day! There was fresh meat to grill and lots of seafood. Again, they need to label things for folks with allergies and just so you know what you are eating. A few weird things on the buffet but we are in Cuba. Please bring maple syrup if you like pancakes etc. Also if you go off the resort, bring toilet paper. The beach is rocky right off the resort but as it has been said before there are no resorts on either side so you can walk for miles on this untouched natural heaven. Eat at the lobster shack( down the beach ), best lobster. The Cave disco ( off the resort ) fun, safe but dirty. A must see is a 5 CUC ride on a double decker bus to Pillar Beach. Amazing.

There is not much for teenagers to do at this resort. The entertainment staff during the day are not seen until about 2pm when they turn on the loud Cuban music at the pool and then leave , then return at 5pm for Zumbo lessons or some activity. Not the best. You can escape this by using the upper pool. Overall this was the quitest resort I have ever been to.

The staff are amazing and helpful, our waitress at the buffet Loudais ( spelling )was the best. Love her. Orlando and Janet , cute and funny, great service. If you need anything, all you do is ask and they will do thier best to accommodate you.

I would like to see what this resort will be like in 5 years. The gardens will be beautiful .Watch out for spider man.

Great ,meeting our trip advisor friends and the Yaya sisters and Charlie and his angel.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade to ocean front. 4 CUC each person for the week. Nice to be up away from the noice of...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
19 Thank OntCanuk1
Memoriesflamenco2012, Rooms Division Manager/Quality Control at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Your comments are important to us and we take great care in revising all of them! Thank you for sharing them with us. We thrive for a better product and we will better our services everyday with your help.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you again very soon at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,843)
  • Polish first
belleville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I travelled here March 1-8th 2012 only three weeks after it opened. We are first time travellers to Cuba but we have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean staying in 4.5 or 5 star resorts only. We originally had booked in at the Blau but after we saw this brand new five star resort was going to be opened we asked to switch and we paid extra to do so. Our total vacation cost 2000 for the two of us so we felt it was a great price (however we just stayed at a five star in Jamaica in December for 2300 with Air Canada). We were adequately prepared for Cuba for what to expect and figured a five star would be more like a four star elsewhere.
Check-in was very smooth and fast. We were given a watered down warm drink as we entered (our flight was late) and then our keys. Room was on first floor king bed in building one. Room was very clean but VERY average. Small 21 inch tv , coffee maker, iron and ironing board, umbrellas. Single sink with blow dryer that worked great. One bottle of shampoo, two gels and that is it. We were never brought refills but I think if you asked you would get it. Shower had amazing pressure and LOTS of hot water. Watch getting out of the tub as it is a huge step down and we almost did a few headers lol. Mini fridge with two colas, two sprite and two beer and huge bottle of water. Replenished daily if you used it. Never an issue with getting more beverages ever. Bed was VERY hard but surprisingly neither of us had sore backs. The sofa in the room is hilariously hard and felt like you were sitting on a park bench, no biggie. Our patio door lock broke one night as we were heading to dinner. They sent a man over pronto to fix it since we were going to ala carte dinner. Fixed no problem by lovely man (remember to tip these guys too).
Food... Well here is where my review takes a downturn. It was horrendously bad most of the time. I have a shellfish allergy and carry an epi pen. None of the food is labelled at the buffet (labels hadn't arrived yet...huh?!) so every night was a game like russian roullette lol. Also there was never enough serving spoons so people would re use spoons on different dishes so once again I had to take a pass on dishes that were side by side. Most resorts we have been to will put shellfish all on one table for those of us who had a food allergy. Just a recommendation that's all. Salad bar was adequate and kept me fed as did the pasta bar. The problem for me was the strong stench of seafood or cooking oil on entry to the buffet. It really turned my stomach as did the sights of fish tails and fish heads on the buffet. My husband had the stir fry most nights and loved it. I couldn't once again because of cross contamination with shrimp. Trying to communicate that I needed a fresh pan proved futile since most times they thought I meant I wanted MORE shrimp lol. I carried a note in spanish that explained I had a severe allergy which worked. We ate at the Steak house and Asian and this is where the food improved for me. The Steak house ran out of Chateaubriand but they gave us a bacon wrapped filet mignon that was as good as we eat at home! They served us caesar salad that had 1000 island dressing and corn in it! lol. Asian restaurant I ate the chicken on the skewer and it was good as well. The desserts were horrible everywhere think plain cake and coloured icing served in a 100 different ways lol. I stuck with the fruit and it was very good. Bottom line on the food is that it isn't very tasty and I also was sick from it. Bring lots of pepto bismol to survive the week.
Pools were wonderful and attentive bar staff. Top shelf liquour is available if you ask for it but mostly just in the lobby bar. Beach bar opened when we were there and we would get a vodka and FRESH orange juice and go for our walks on the beach.....now comes the beach.
We have been everywhere and my husband and I LOVED this natural beach more than any other beach we have ever been. The gorgeous turquoise green waters and white sand took our breath away. We are both runners but left our gear at home since we knew we could walk everyday for miles. We likely had a 8 to 10 km walk everyday and if you walk left you will discover the most heavenly sandbar complete with live starfish, sand dollars and perfect conch shells. Everyday I felt my mission was to save the starfish that had washed up on the beach lol. Please leave all of these beautiful items for others to enjoy as well. We have some amazing photos to cherish. The beach alone saved our holiday in our minds. At night my hubby and I would take down to the pier our music and ipod and a bottle of wine and relax under the stars.Security is down there and it is very safe (they even helped us move some chairs onto the pier!). Yes it is rocky out in front but just to the right you will find a full sand beach that is perfect for kids to walk right in. Bring a collapsible cooler and have the barstaff fill it with ice and bring your canned drinks and all will be well.
Staff were so incredibly kind (Janet, Jamie, Fermin, Yanet, Carlos) We miss you guys! Please find Milto at the upper pool who will find you chairs and a table everyday, never an issue.
My other complaint is housekeeping. They make your bed. That's it lol.We tipped too!. Your soap will sit in the watery soap dish all week. You will get great towel art if you are into that type of thing. Personally I like coming back to a cleaned room with dishes removed etc. Some days we had to ask for more toilet paper but never had a problem receiving it.
It rained two days on our trip and there was NOTHING to do, entertainment crew wasn't sure what to do and finally the second day they played a bingo but we had no chips to use so we poked a toothpick through the card rendering them useless to use again. They need to work on rainy day plans as other resorts do in our experience. The shows were fine. They have typical resort shows and the entertainers try very hard to engage the guests.
We were told on orientation meeting that you could pay to extend your room past 2 pm for 10 pesos per hour. We booked this the night before to extend our room til 6 since our pick up for the airport was at 645. They told us no problem and we would pay the 40 pesos. The next morning we were told no we could only have the room til 4. We asked why others got their room til 5 she told us that it was because they had the late flight...Huh?! They were on the same flight as us! We complained to Jorge (Sunwing rep) and then he told us worse news. Our plane was being rerouted to Manzanillo and now we are arriving in Toronto at 4am instead of 2am and we are stuck on the flight for almost 6 straight hours. We were ticked to say the least and we are looking into this with Sunwing. Not an acceptable practice to hold up a loaded plane because you need us to pick up 10 passengers at the other end of Cuba because the airline is too cheap to find other ways of getting them home. We felt like hostages on the plane since we had no option. We didn't end up getting into the airport hotel til 5 am. Not to mention that my husband has a bad back to be stuck sitting so long cramped in a plane. Not a nice way to end a trip.
So I guess that is it in a nutshell. Definitely not a five star resort by any means. You can't dress up a carnation and call it a rose when it isn't. We won't be returning.
The BEST part of the trip for sure besides the beach was meeting all of the AMAZING Trip advisor friends. Germangirl,Newfie girl, Ontario Canuck, Lisa, etc. You guys made our trip so much more fun and I look forward to seeing your pictures via email.
Please feel free to ask me any questions if you need to.

Room Tip: We liked first floor since we could use our own bathroom when at the pool, very convenient.
24 Thank Wendy S
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Excellent evening shows that included broadway hits, such as Cats, Phantom of the Opera and Flash Dancing, as well as great dancing shows and a magic show. The host Danny was super excellent and very entertaining.

Staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Buffet food is very good but, a la Carte was disappointing. The hotel will be lovely once landscaping is finished.

Ching S Feb 28-Mar 6, 2012
Toronto, Ont.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Ching S
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

we went from the third of march to the tenth!! it wasnt so bad in the beginning but then it turned HORRIBLE!! you cannot eat the food, at the buffet the food is always cold and tastes horrible. The show at night is ANNOYING, it all looks improvized!

i must admit that the pool was nice and the lobby bar was pretty neat!! they had a jazz band every night and that was entertaning... but other than that there was nothing interesting to do at night!! some nights we even had to watch tv in our hotel room.

the rooms are alright although you can hear your neighbours every move!! so dont get any freaky ideas!! speacially not at night!!

the drinks are good!! and the staff are sometimes moody!! some of the entertainers are annoying.

i agree with the smell... it does smell like crap sometimes!!

the beach is sooo nice to look at but its really rocky HOWEVER when you are on the brigde turn LEFT and keep going!! its a beautiful walk and its not that rocky!!!

Room Tip: make sure you get a room in building number 2!!! and make sure you have a beach view from your room...
10 Thank louly m
Memoriesflamenco2012, Rooms Division Manager/Quality Control at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 May 2012
Dear guests:

Your comments are important to us.

With them, we make sure to revise every department frequently to insure that we always give our customers the best service and offers they rightly deserve.

Every one of them was truly revised by our Quality Control department in order to improve our standards and quality. For instance, food temperature and menus have been revised and new nightly shows have been added, including a Cuban show in three languages, Spanish, English and French. Thank you for mentionning the beach as it is true that walking to the left, along with an amazing ocean you can also find all the natural wildlife of a natural beach.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to see you again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun.

We hope to see you again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun.
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed at Memories Flamenco from Mar.2nd-9th. We actually ended up going on the wrong bus to Memories Caribe and were taken to Flamenco without any hesitations. First impressions were great. This was our 3rd trip to Cuba and 2nd to Cayo Coco. Rooms were clean but exactly the same as our previous rooms at other 3 and 4 star resorts. We travelled with 2 children and were given a room with king size bed and 1 single bed. We went to reception and were told we'd have a room by next day with 2 double beds (much more comfortable then the hard as rock king). We came across many people that were switching rooms but never a complaint that they could not be accomodated. We found that the staff worked very hard to please everyone.
The checkout is at 2pm but the key to your room expires at noon. You have to go to reception and have the keys extended until 2pm, before noon.
Food we found was very good for Cuba. Selection wasn't the greatest but we're sea food lovers so we had enough to eat. Kids were happy with pasta and pizza and most of all ice cream :) we found that certain foods changed regularly especially the deserts (try crapes with chocolate filling. They were heavenly). There was no toast just buns but I think people kept asking so by last day there was toast for breakfast. Once again we found they listened to people and tried to please.
The beach is rocky just like all reviews here stated. However we made the best of it. We spent every day on the beach that we could (we had 2 rainy days). The beach bar was just opening and had no beer. But the waiters were constantly pacing the beach serving drinks and when they weren't we picked up our lazy butts and walked to the bar or snackbar ourselves. We brought our own mugs to keep the drinks cold and this way we didn't have to ask or walk too often as their cups are about 2 sips big (we learned this from our previous trips). One negative thing about the beach was that there was no music playing (once again comparing it to previous stays in Cuba). There was music at the pool all day every day but it was mostly our American music a lot of heavy beat such as house and techno. This is what I meant by lacking cuban feel. When we asked for Ragga Ragga or Racca Racca song we were told they can't play it. But it's huge in other resorts. Another reason why I say that is because most staff would always greet you in english never in their warm cuban "hola". This we believe is what they have to do so it's not their fault but it's these little things that create the atmosphere.
One thing that I have to mention with disappointment is the lack of beach towels. So we had 2 days of rain and noone really was swimming and I'm assuming not exchanging beach towels those days. We tried to get beach towels for the next day because the weather was supposed to improve the next day but they didn't have any or were closed. We said fine we'll get them in the morning. The next day the weather got better we went to exchange the towels we were told they didn't have any, "maybe in the afternoon". Then in the afternoon we were told "no sorry, maybe tomorrow". Keep in mind we spent our days on the beach and the towels were full of sand and wet as things dry very slow there because of humidity. So the next day we were fine for towels but then again there were no towels the following day. Our towels were soaked as my kids dropped their towels too close to the water at one point. We had no choice but to use the white towels from the room. This kind of mishap we found at other resorts in Cuba but were surprised to find it at a 5 star resort. But I guess that's how things work everywhere in Cuba.
Kids club was great. Our kids loved it. They had many games to choose from such as air hockey, fooseball table, pool table etc. and made lots of friends. They also have 2 pools in the kids area. Although the kids/baby club is not gated as someone mentioned in their review the staff keep a close eye on them and do not allow them to wonder off unless they are told by the parents that it's ok. Our kids are 9 and 11 so we gave them the freedom to do so.
Now the entertainment staff. Great wonderful and friendly bunch. We miss them already. We made friends with a lot of them. They made our stay memorable. Fermin who entertained our kids all day everyday at the beach and at the pool was great. He talked to us regularly and made us feel welcome. Wonderful person, someone we really trusted. Then there is Chichi another entertainer who made our rainy days sunny. Thanks to her dance lessons my husband won the dancing competition! LOL then there was DJ Yury who made our disco nights a WOW!! He is so talented. One of the best DJ by far. He knows what people like and always played what we asked for not to mention the fact he came to the dance floor and danced with us making us feel like his friends and that made us return to the disco every night. Jose at the disco bar is such a fun and yet professional man. It was a pleasure to be served by him. Janet the waitress at the snack bar and lobby bar was the greatest. She also made us feel like family. Then there were the dancers, Emilio and his girlfriend such warm, pleasant and fun people. Please say Hi from Justyna and Chris to all the ones we mentioned here.
Overall the stay was wonderful. I would recommend this resort to people as long as they keep in mind the beach is far from beautiful for now (didn't stop us), the beach bar is temporary and not everything is available. The construction from the other resort was a bit annoying at night as we were in building 2 and had oceanview facing the construction as well.
The resort is improving on daily basis and it is very likely that what we mentioned here might not be so next week. So go have fun and please please treat the staff with respect and not demend and trust me you will get much further with it. They are people too.

• Stayed March 2012
10 Thank Justyna B
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

stayed Feb 28th - March 6

First time in cuba, travelled with husband and 7 year old son.

We always stay at a 5 star while travelling but since this was a new hotel and had never been to cuba, I have anticipated for glitches and when we went, there was at that time 0 reviews yet to have come out and the price was really amazingly low so we took a chance.

1. welcomed with a glass of drink upon arrival

2. room only ready at 4:00pm, so we walk around the resort

3. they were supposed to bring our luggage to our room but i think forgot, so we called to remind them about bringing our luggage to our room.

4. Confirmed, fridge comprised of 1 bottle of water, 2 beers and 2 colas. if your like us and need more than 1 bottle of water, just go to the snack bar, lobby and asked for another bottle of water and just bring it to your room.

5. there is no room service as what was advertised.

6. room is clean, weird shower curtain, not waterproof. balcony screen door fell on me.. LOL!!!

7. kids club- small, and no gates so did not used it but great amazing entertainment at the theatre show for the kids.

8. met great people at the resort from different places of canada.

9. tried 2 restaurant only and skip out on the asian restaurant.
creole- did it twice, ordered something of what i think they would be good at, pork plate and fish plate for my husband.
and steak house, not sure, didn't see steak on the menu, any ways we ordered meat grill platter.
both restaurants were good, just as long as you stick to the fish and pork.
I heard a few couples who tried lamb and all consistently told us, it was not good. So kind of glad that we did not venture into that direction.

10. buffet place- great, we had everything grilled. I love fish, shrimps, mussels and clams, so the food for me was amazing.
there was enough choices, grilled sea food, have your own pasta cook in your own choices of ingredients and they will cook it for you.

11. snack bar- great pizza and open for 24 hours. we often stop by here before going into our bungalow, for some pizzas, a bottle of water before turning in for the night and brought the food to our room.

12. for true ocean view, you need to be at the 3rd floor, we were in bungalow 3, so we heard no noise at all or construction but we didn't have the true ocean view as the trees were blocking all the view for the second floor.

13. since there was no room service, we just asked for what we wanted and brought it up to our room when we felt like turning in for the night and you can even asked for a bottle of white wine to bring up with you if you feel like relaxing in your balcony while the kids sleep.

14. room was always cleaned everyday by danairy and she even decorated my sons toys around the room. very sweet.

15. we did tip - but just because the people who worked there gave more than we could asked for. all the staff was great and when you asked for something, i never heard them say no

16. beach- truly confirmed, it's rocky. if you climb on the pier they built and then get into the water it's perfect. the water is beautiful and pristine.
the problem is that i can't relax since my kid keeps trying to enter the water and he didn't have shoes on and i was worried he might get hurt with the rocks in front of the beach.
that was easily rectifiable by reserving a lounge chair on the pier, so he just had only one access to the water.
there are fishes in the water so this is really fun to see.

17. Playa pillar - a must see. truly beautiful, do Thursday as they offer this as a tour but for Thursday it starts at 8:15 and it comes out to the same cost as doing the trip by yourself if you eat lunch and rent a lounge chair.

18. the place is not yet crowded as there is only 3 bungalows built, so right now it's perfect, I'm pretty sure they will need to build other restaurants when the rest of the bungalows gets built,Each of the a la carte restaurants sits about 54 at best an will not be able to accomodate all those people when everything is all built.

19.air conditioning working properly

20. i always travel with all my own amenities such as lotion, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, etc.. in most 5 star hotels, this is included. it's not so here. but then again, this is the first time in cuba for me. this could be just a common thing and not necessarily a part of a 5 star hotel.

We had no real expectations coming to this resort and had nothing to based what the experience may be as there was not even one review at the time we left, for an exception of the rocky beach. We went in with an open mind and enjoy the beautiful sun and water and people we met who was just amazing and lots of smiling faces all around you.

Overall, we loved our first stay in cuba, we loved cayo coco,playa pilar and we loved memories flamenco, and it was a great vacation at a very competitive price.

Enjoy your stay and you can walk to the left side of the hotel and you can walk for over 30 minutes, you will find a lovely lagoon and shallow beautiful water and walk on for miles onto the water.

Room Tip: bungalow 3 third floor for true ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
15 Thank maricarl_b
Niagara Falls, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

The smell that came over the resort was disgusting and smelled like a backed up sewer. This resort is only half done and should not be given it's stars until it is finished. How can they assign 5 stars to this resort when the gym, spa and tennis courts are not even built? They should have to earn them and at this point I would give it a 2 or 3 star. We had 3 days of rain and there was absolutely nothing to do but stay in your room or hang out in the lobby or bars. The beach was very narrow and rocky when first entering into the water. The food at the buffet was very lacking in variety and the dishes were cold. Every morning was a major effort to try and get a HOT cup of coffee the first time. If you wanted something hot you had to wait in line for the pasta bar or stir fries which were very good and actually very tastey.

On a good note the employees at the resort tried hard and were very friendly. The ala cartes were very good especially the steak house.

5 Thank Sandra D
Memoriesflamenco2012, Rooms Division Manager at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Dear guest,

We appreciate every comment we recieve in order to improve our standards. With your comments, we make sure to revise every department so that we always give our customers the best service and offers possible.

Thank you for your comments.

We hope to see you again soon at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,665 reviews

Been to Memories Flamenco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!