“Awesome resort and staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome resort and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

My wife, me and 11-years-old son got back on 29-Mar-2012. Absolutely family oriented, fantastic staff, very good food.

Go to Moron and Siego de Avilla (sorry if I have written the names wrongly) to appreciate what you have in Canada, also to see that in spite of poverty Cubans are surprisingly happy. They have one the best education and health care systems in the world. Among highest life-expectancy in the world, leaving their hostile neighbor (U.S.A) in the dust in this regard.

Average salary is between 15 to 25 Canadian dollars per month, so every tip is appreciated. Treat Cubans with respect and dignity. Very nice and kind people with great heart and proud of their culture and marvelous country.

Room Tip: Facing ocean is quieter. But about 20% more expensive.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank mahinpour
Memoriesflamenco2012, Rooms Division Manager/Quality Control at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments!

We appreciate every comment we receive in order to improve our standards and quality. With them, we make sure to revise every department frequently to insure that we always give our customers the best service and offerts they rightly deserve.

We hope to see you again soon at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,847)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the resort from March 24 - 31/12. We have both travelled to Cuba in the past, so we knew what to expect. From Jardines Del Ray Airport, the Resort is about a 20 minute ride. We arrived at the hotel around 11am. The check in time is usually 4:00pm (a little advice: try and book a later flight) Our room was ready around 2:30pm. We were in Building # 3 - 3306. Beautiful view of the ocean. Being that it is a new resort, the room was clean, had brand new linens and towels, and it didn’t smell musty. It was nice.

The vegetation around the resort is lacking. Once it’s matured, it will be beautiful! Norman the groundskeeper was very friendly. He always brought me a flower or some sort of sculpture out of palm leaves. Pleasant character for sure and quite unique!

The 2 pools are nice, but quite small for the size of the resort. Once the resort is at full capacity it will be PACKED! We spent a lot of our time at the swim up bar. Big Shout outs to Yoanis! He was awesome! Always smiling, friendly, and knew exactly what it was we wanted before we could even ask. The only downfall I found was the tiles kept falling off/apart in the lower section of the pool. If you have small children, use caution – most kids kept getting small cuts on the soles of their feet.

The Breakfast buffet was great. Big shout outs to Jose! Such a stand-up guy. We miss him dearly. I recommend taking full advantage of the omelet bar, you won’t be disappointed.

The Lunch buffet was 60/40. I didn’t find too much that I liked there. They did have a BBQ off to the right which had some pretty good chicken and sausages. We pretty much lived at the snack bar. They had great hamburgers, poutine (go figure lol) and bruschetta to die for. Orlando, Rigger, Leorge, & Yanet 1 & 2 were great! If you’re friendly, they will treat you with respect. Remember, these people are there to make you feel comfortable, not to be your slave so use your manners and be respectful!

The dinner buffet was ok. Once again, a lot of items were not labelled, but if you ask the chefs replacing the items they will kindly explain to you what it is. I really enjoyed the pasta bar. If you have a food allergy be sure to proceed with caution. I noticed they had mixed nuts all over plates near the dessert bar. We sat to the far left of the dining room every night and had DaEnly and Jorge for waiters. The last evening before we left, we went to say our goodbyes and I couldn’t contain myself. DaEnly is adorable, and I wish we could bring back to Canada. He will be one of the people I miss most.

The lobby bar was excellent!!! My one and only suggestion is to Bring a bottle of bug repellant. I was one of the unfortunate ones who got eaten alive. Most people were not affected, just depends on the person I guess. Every night they had different performer’s playing. The group with the Piano and Flute player were incredible! Boy could that man sing! I tell you, I bought the CD after the first song. Totally amazing. Hugs and Kisses to Janet and Jamie! Excellent waitresses!

The entertainment was lacking. Still a lot of kinks to iron out, but they tried their best. Landy, Danny, & Orly were always trying to get the crowd involved. Great way to get some of us out of our comfort zone. Make sure to check out the Disco – Located just behind the Lobby bar down the hall (close to the washrooms) – I had a hard time finding it since there is no signs or arrows, I’m sure this will be fixed since most complained.

The one part that severely sucked was the beach. We did make the best of it though. If you walk about 30-40 minutes to the left, it’s breathtaking! A lot of Pelicans and strange birds feed there. Be sure to check it out and bring your camera!! I did speak to a few of the workers who notified me that by next year they should be covering the rocks with sand, and or grading the area. This should increase the reviews with a more positive outcome. Just use your discretion when stepping off the stairs to the sand. You can't see the rocks and I twisted my ankle several times.

Overall we enjoyed ourselves. We met a great group of individuals and created lifelong friendships!

I suggest to people checking this place out to use your imagination. Your vacation is what you make of it. The more complaining you do, the worse off you are, and less fun you’ll have.

Until next time….
Hasta la Vista, Cuba!!!!

Room Tip: A few people mentioned ground floor patio doors would not lock. Try grabbing a room on the 2nd or 3r...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank LeaTYukon
Dear guests,

Thank you so much for your comments. They are so important to us to insure that we continue to improve daily and give you the very best you deserve.

We appreciated all your comments, thank you for the exhaustive review. Rest assured that all your comments were duly revised by the Quality Control department. Also a note of information for you and our future clients as we are glad you mentionned mosquitos. Since we live in the cayos, the mosquitos are present in all the hotels of Coco and Guillermo, mostly for about 30 mintues at sundown. It is wise to bring some repellent, although you can also get some here in our store. Thank you for posting the comment!

gatineau
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Hi!
To begin with, the resort itself is not finished yet; no green grass anywhere. The look is just ok. New palm trees have recently been planted, therefore not mature. So are the flowers around the resort.

One dining room, buffet style, almost always the same tasteless food day after day; but this is typical of Cuba I guess. 3 restaurants à la carte; only one deserves good critics and it is the Creole Restaurant. As for the Steak House, forget it, they do not have Chateaubriand and they don't know how to cut the meat. At the Asian restaurant, the sushis were good! That's about it.

The rooms are clean and the maids make funny animals with your towels as for anywhere else in Cuba. Towels 101 must be a mandatory course to become a maid in the islands... The staff is very friendly and they all speak english.

Now the beach: What can I say except that it is almost inexistant. Coral everywhere. They built a bridge to get to the water and believe me, we need it. The wind is very strong in this part of the island. However, if you walk half a mile on your left, the beach and the view are breathtaking.

The most positive element of this resort is that there is no constant music on the so called beach yet and no motorized engines in the water. As a matter of fact, you see only few people in the water and it is very calm. You can read quietly and the bartenders bring your drinks to your chair. Very nice guys.

So that is it for me...I would not go back at least, until the beach is fixed and I doubt that it will ever be!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank valentinGatineau
Dear guests:

We appreciate every comment we receive in order to improve our standards and quality. With your comments, we make sure to revise every department frequently to insure that we always give our customers the best service and offers they rightly deserve.

All your comments are duly revised by our Quality Control department. I take advantage of this response to tell you that indeed the beach will get much better in the next few months with plans of renovation on the way, always, of course, respecting respecting the natural and wild aspect of our beautiful cayo. A la carte restaurants have already changed their menu and results exceed expectations.

These changes would not be possible without your comments, so we thank you again.

We hope to see you again soon at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012 via mobile

Travelled with my husband and another couple. We had requested for our rooms to be in the same building and our request was granted.....we were neighbors.
People need to remember that this resort is brand new and you will encounter some bumps along the way. It is what you make of it. The room was great. The food o.k......but they are working hard at improving this......managers are hands on.....food temperature monitored and so on. All staff very friendly and helpful. Great entertainment staff. Will definitely remember certain ones! Best looking resort in Cayo Coco! Sure there was a bit of construction noise, but not enough to really complain about it! We rented scooters and had a blast. We stopped in at neighboring Resorts and believe me, we made the right choice choosing this one! Very nice and clean resort with lots of positive things going on....so be positive and you will have a great time also!

Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Julie L
Memoriesflamenco2012, Rooms Divison Manager/Quality Control at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your comments! We are so grateful that you took the time to give us your impressions.

We strive to improve our product and quality every day, with your comments, is makes it easier for us to pinpoint on what we need to work on the most so that the next time you visit, your vacation will be even more unforgettable.

All your comments were duly revised by our Quality Control department.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We attended this resort from March 23 to 30, 2012.

Lets start with the bad....

FOOD: Less than average due to cold food. If you do not get to the buffet early you will experience cold food. We arrived late at the buffet our first day and could not find any fresh salad makings. and the food was cold. There was also a lot of canned, pickled or frozen vegetables. Not even close to 5 star food. We did not expect much, but the deal breaker here is the cold food! I had to ask the guy frying my eggs to heat my bacon every morning.

BEACH: I liked the little stretch of rock and coral in the water. My wife and I snorkelled for hours looking at the underwater life. The bad part of the beach is the unfinished clearing and cleaning of the out of water area of the beach. There were shredded beer cans, stumps and roots everywhere. A good amount of work remains to be done here. There is an abundance of natural shade available under the trees at the beach, but the rough ground is not welcoming. A great step towards upgrading the beach would be a better clean up of the dry sand area. I like the natural brush that carries plenty of nice birds. Same as the coral, it would be a shame to destroy all that, but there is plenty of opportunity to improve the beach without touching the existing natural ecosystem.

FACILITIES: This is where this place really shines. The architecture and landscape design are excellent. The lobby, lobby bar and buffet area are well designed and decorated nicely. We had a suite facing the beach on the second floor and it was excellent. I don`t understand the comments about trees and no ocean on the second floor. We had a panoramic view of the ocean. The suite has two bathrooms which I loved. Each of us having a sink and toilet was really convenient. Again, nicely designed and practical! I loved the room! Sitting on the couch and looking out to the ocean and listening to the waves on the beach and the birds in the brush was a very pleasant experience.

THE PEOPLE: The best part of the resort and Cuba! The staff were always pleasant and doing their best.

It was also nice to arrive at the airport and not see soldiers wearing rifles. We hadn`t been to Cuba in four years and it was nice not see anyone carrying a gun. Overall it was a very pleasant trip and i would return to the resort in a few years once the gardens have grown up a bit. BUT, I would have to read in these reviews somewhere that they have done something about keeping the food hot!

Room Tip: Building 2 is closest to the beach. beach side sees the sunrise. Building 3 is second closest to bea...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MyleandKargot
Memoriesflamenco2012, Rooms Division Manager/Quality Control at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear client:

Thank you so much for your review! It is so important to us to receive your comments to constantly improve our products and services.

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your suite, we are very proud of them, although the Jr. Ste are very pretty too!!

We appreciate your comments about the beach on which we are working on and also about the temperature of the food. The situation was duly analysed by our Quality Control department and rest assured that it will be resolved long before your next visit, which we hope will be soon!!

We thank you again and look forward to welcoming you once again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I was there for 2 weeks in the middle of March 2012...this is a developing estate and still needs a lot of work in terms of gardens, animation/show, and beach quality! I will tell you about the negatives so you know what to expect.

The a la carte restaurants are trying and sometimes fail, for example the asian restaurant served Miso soup as chicken soup with soy sauce!!!! The cuban one is definately the best and the steakhouse is ok. Please make sure you drink lots of water because everything is very salty in the a la carte restaurants especially the asian one. At lunch...the BBQ set-up they had was badly planned and not hot enough which resulted in dry meat on the outside and uncooked on the inside. Keep away from the Snack house in my opinion that place is a disaster...never someone there when you want something and the ham and cheese sandwiches are beyond questionable!!!!

The food can get boring if you stay for 2 weeks but stick to fruits and vegetables and think of it as a "living as a vegetarian" trial. But then again you don't go to Cuba for the food, rather beach, dancing, and sun!

The night show is cheesy and needs some time to develop! The constant dancing without much point (not cuban style but a sort of ballet) gets boring fast. The first week we had some troupe that did a magic show that was funny and the second week another troupe that probably was designed for slightly stupid children...so it depends on how lucky you are!One night there is a show where the audience has to dance with the animators and that can be very funny!!! The dancers definitely have talent and know-how but it is badly used and the mise-en-scene is bad.

Also the baggage guys had a bit of attitude when the hotel put us in the wrong rooms which I have never encountered in my 4 times in Cuba.

Out of the 14 days I was there 2 had constant rain and 7 had some scattered showers.... I don't know if that is common for this area of Cuba????

Tips and tricks:
-eat well at dinner because that is the best meal of the day
-use the ladder to get into the water and as you go down the stairs walk as if you are trying to walk underneath the gazebo and out towards the ocean...this is how you can avoid the rocks (no need for water shoes then)
-don't leave your stuff on the beach on the left side of the walkway -theft is common!-stick to the right side where all the chairs are
-walk to the ends of the beach in both directions away from all the people on the beach and it is extremely wild and beautiful (bring camera)
-do the trip to Ciego D'Avila if you like mangroves
-ignore all the bad stuff and focus on the time with your family and friends for fun;don't wait to be entertained by the staff or animators make your own fun!

Room Tip: Choose in Building 2 in the middle of the building on the side facing the ocean on the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Chloe R
Dear guests:

Your comments are important to us!

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel, rest assured that every comment is analysed by our Quality Control department to insure the best service and product you deserve!

We love your enthusiasm and take your comments seriously.The a la carte restaurants are being revised as we speak and Steakhouse has a new menu since last Friday! As for the weather, during the winter months (the same as in Canada), we sometimes have cold fronts that come in the form of rain or wind, and we do have regular short thundershowers due to high humidity.

Oakkville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Traveled to Memories Flamenco March 16-23 with my wife and 2 children age 3 and 6. The trip began with the flight being late but very friendly flight attendants and while on air made up time and arrived in Cuba as scheduled. Upon arriving at the resort you can tell within minutes that this resort has it together. Welcoming crew during registration with drinks. Checked in with no line up. Everything we requested was accomodated without having to follow up at check in including balcony in a quite bungalow except for the extra cot but arrived within an hour of requesting. The rooms are like any other standard junior suite from other resorts I have been in. I like the subtle colors chosen it really has the beach house feel. One thing I did not get is why a suite is not an option for a family of 4. I tried to book a suite but I was told suite only allows maximum of 3 people. I think if anything a family of 4 could use the extra living space and 2 bathrooms instead of being in a junior suite.
Did not get beach towels in our room when we arrived but had no problems the next day to get.
The bell boys were very prompt at delivering your luggages I would recommend you stay in your room a few minutes and wait for the luggages. The bell boys do not have access to the rooms to bring the luggages in. If they knock and you are not there, you will have to call reception to have them deliver the luggages a second time.
Our first meal was at the dinner buffet, amazing selection of seafood and pasta that they can make to your liking. The buffet have plenty of dish selections for meat lovers and vegetarians and the dessert table... YUM!!! Try them all there is nothing that is not great.You have to be a super picky eater not to find anything at the dinner buffet.
Breakfast is at the same place as dinner buffet. Again, what a selection from smoothies, fruits, pancakes, french toast, and all the breakfast meats we are used to having in Canada. Way to start your day!
Lunch buffet is by the path you take going in to the beach beside Bungalow 2. WOW. I've been to Cuba twice prior to this trip and the food selection, quality and presentation is right up there!!! AND it got better everyday.
Ala Cartes are nothing special... You can find better selection at the dinner buffet. Thursdays they have all the Ala Cartes closed but the dinner buffet served fantastic seafood dishes including lobster. It can't get any better than that!!!
Daytime entertainment is non stop. You will never run out of activities and towards the end of our trip. The animacion team started setting up at the beach and simultaneously running activities there too.
Evening entertainment... There's something for all ages. I find the lounge more adult appropriate and gets pretty packed. Family and children entertainment can be found at the theartrico where they have flawless performances such as Romeo and Juliet, Cats, Chicago, 70-80's impersonations. Michael Jackson's Thriller.... WICKED!
I tend to agree on previous posts about some Canadians treating the staff very rudely using fowl languages about petty things. It's a vacation that does not give you the right to visit another country and treat people rudely.
All in all we had a wonderful time. The kids totally enjoyed their vacation and I am very happy that this is another vacation that is going in our books with 2 thumbs up!!!! Thank you Memories Flamenco.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BajaFresh
Memoriesflamenco2012, Rooms Division Manager/Quality Control at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your comments!

They greatly help us revise every department frequently to insure that we always give you the best service and products you rightly deserve.

Thank your for your comments about our bellboys. As for the reservation for 4 in the suite, unfortunately that is a contract agreement which is valid for not just us, but many other hotels everywhere around the world. It would be a good idea though, as our suites are very spacious. We will look into it to see if there could be a way to include this. Thank you for mentionning it.
We are very happy and proud to read your comments as it shows improvement from the previous comments we have received. As you can see, your comments are what help us move forward and improve every day.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion.

We sincerely hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,676 reviews

Been to Memories Flamenco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!