New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great time...BUT” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Barrie
“Great time...BUT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife and I just returned from the Memories Flamenco April 6,spending our honeymoon there. We were a group of six adults and two children age 13-18. The flight from Toronto with Sunwing was excellent. We arrived in Cuba at night at approx 8:10 the baggage and customs in Cuba was quick. We were at the resort by 9pm checked in and part of the show.

The resort is beautiful. The rooms were clean, service good, shows ok, and the entertaimnet staff at the pool during the day were excellent. Kept the adults and the kids entertained.

Beach: Very, Very, disappointing. For those of you said that the beach 300 meters to the left or right was beautiful....your wrong. If you the beach was beautiful, you need to go to Pilar beach or go to the Tryp resort.

FOOD: Omletts, Pasta bar and Stir fry excellent at the buffet. Steam line the food is cold, for some reson they don't turn on the steam line at either of the buffets. No labels on the food

24 hr bar, pizza good.

Beach Bar; Food ok

Ranch that is located down fron the resort. If you go there bring toilet paper...they don't have any.

Pilar Beach; stunning

Nightly entertainment: ok

Main Lounge; entertaiment was excellent, management have sort out why they have music going on the main stage the same time the people are performing in the main lounge.

Rooms Maid: excellent...room was always clean...towel art beautiful. Bed very hard. bath tub...don't understand why its so high. very hard to get in and out off.

Excursions: We only went on the catamaran. excellent time ...food for me was not so good, but I knew that going.

Disco; DJ was excellent..not to many people attended.

Fermin, Carlos, Janet, and Chi Chi. Thank you for making our trip...you all were fantastic. All staff were amazing including the gardeners

Pool bar: Can't understand where it is located. There were more children around the pool bar than adults. It should be moved to the main pool.

Management before I would give this resort a 5 star status....you need to improve the food, beds and the beach. I understand that the beach is in process. But I can't understand why the food is not labelled, cold, and at times not properly cooked. I spoke with the food manager regarding the food being cold...I think he thought I was nuts..LOL

Overall, we would not return to this resort until the food and the beach improve.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bungalow number 2...room 2309 overlooking the main pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
20 Thank SoccerbumBarrie
Memoriesflamenco2012, Rooms Division Manager/Quality Control at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear clients:

Congratulations again! We appreciate every comment we recieve in order to improve our standards adn quality. With your comments, we make sure to revise every departement frequendly to insure that we alwyas give our customers the best service and offers they rightly deserve.

We do take your comments seriously and have already analized your comments about the food temperature. Food is also labelled as we speak.

All your other comments were also revised by the Quality Control department.

We hope to see again soon at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,758)
  • Polish first
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

It seems that there are a fair number of exhaustive reviews so I'll try to keep this short. As for all the negative reviews, there will always be critics and those with a sense of entitlement. My advice: be humble. These people are working their hardest to provide us a pleasant, beautiful setting, and in my opinion they are doing a good job.
If you are a beach person, this is probably not the best resort for you. We went to Pilar Beach by bus and that beach shines as the ideal beach experience. Too bad that beach wasn't at Memories Flamenco to complete the package.
Take the trip to Ciego de Avila and Moron, not for the quantity of things to do (there are few) but to see more of Cuba. It's an eye-opener. Our tour guide was fantastic, engaging in conversations about some of the realities of life in Cuba. Further humbling.
If you are a shopper, you will experience sharp withdrawal. There is little opportunity to buy anything anywhere. Commodities and commerce are scarce. I love going into villages / towns and wandering about markets. This is not going to happen in the cayos. If you want markets and towns, don't go to this island.
Our biggest day-to-day difficulty (and this tells you how good we had it if this is a complaint!) was not the food. The food was fantastic (including the Steakhouse). The biggest challenge was finding a seat by the pool. Although the sign of 'Pool Rules' clearly states that you cannot reserve sun bathing chairs it was common practice for people to go out in the morning and put their stuff on a chair (clothespin a towel on, for example, or other markings) and reserve that chair as theirs for the whole day, whether they were on the beach, at lunch, napping in their room, or whatever (anywhere but in the pool!). As a result, you had numerous empty chairs at the pool, 'reserved', and hapless wanderers in person looking in vain for a place to sit. This is a problem that will need to be addressed, especially when the number of guests increases.
OVERALL, it's a new, clean, modern resort well worth the great price we paid.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bungalow 1 in a junior suite with ocean-facing balcony. Nice view although closest to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Shelley M
Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your comments! We are pleased to read your review as it helps us improve in all areas of our hotel. Our goal is to offer you the best vacation that you will remember for a lifetime.

All your comments were analysed by our Quality Control department. The available beach chairs at the pool and beach have been increased already and will continue do to so in the near future, and measures were taken as of chair reservations as well. Thank you for pointing this out to us.

We truly hope to see you again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We just returned from a week stay (Mar 31-Apr 7) and had a great time. The resort is new obviously as every single review has said, but it's beautiful. Once the grass and trees have a chance to grow it'll seem more like a tropical paradise. The beach has coral and rocks etc because it's natural. Obviously everyone wants a manufactured beach with nothing on it but I personally enjoyed looking at all the shells and coral etc. Everyday we walked about 30-40 minutes to the left past the sand bar and it was isolated and gorgeous. Lots of sand and shallow with crystal clear waters. I'm hesitant to even write about it because I'm sure people will flock there. But there, while snorkeling, we saw a sting ray, conch shells, sand dollars, crabs, starfish etc. If you see these items, please please please dont just take them with you. The conch shells are probably alive and should stay in the ocean. If it's obvious they're dead, do what you want I guess. But leave the sealife alone so everyone has a chance to see it.

The food was ok...it got better and better everyday. We went to pilar beach for 5 pesos round trip (they have like 8-10 buses a day) and had a lobster lunch for $15 CUC and $2 coronas....you wont regret it. Delicious. Go early as there aren't that many beach chairs or shade.

The staff is AMAZING! They are all so so nice. As Canadians, we like to think we're the polite ones but man, we could learn a thing or two from the Cubans. They work extremely hard all day long and will always throw you a smile and an 'hola' when you pass. The groundskeepers/gardeners hand out flowers to the ladies all day and the housekeepers work hard to keep your rooms spotless with cool towel art. The bar guys/girls work hard and are really friendly.

Tipping - it was so discouraging to see people lounge by the pools, order 10 slushy drinks from the waiters and not tip a cent... I know it's all inclusive, but geez. You have so much more than the cubans...give a little. A peso can go a long way. You may get tired of tipping which I can understand...but maybe every third drink or so. If you're one of those people that go all inclusive and don't tip a cent...I don't know how you do it.

Towels - everyone is making such a big deal of this, I was curious to see how bad it was. Talk about overexaggeration...geez. Someone on here complained that the sunwing rep implied we're all thieves....gimme a break. He was trying to make light of the fact that people leave their towels lying around, lose them, get charged the $20 CUC that they're warned about and then freak out. I have to be honest...when I see chair hogs lay out their towels at 7am to reserve a chair and then go away for 3 hours without even using them...I was tempted to move/hide the towels too. You're being selfish. If you reserve a chair, use it....FYI -I didn't take any towels though :) And no, the staff doesn't take your towels either so calm down. If you don't want to be charged the $20 CUC, hold on to your towels. :D genius.

Also, if you choose to go to the beach through the back way (behind the bungalows) - it is a dirt path...on your way back, if it is muddy or your shoes are wet...please don't go that way. I can't tell you how much mud we saw dragged onto the white tiles in the bungalows because people decided to take a short cut. It sucked to try to walk around all the muddy footprints in clean sandals and the poor housekeepers had to spend an hour or more everyday just cleaning up the mud from these people. Have some respect..

Tips/tricks - bring water shoes, bring a bubba (thermos drink holder), bring a LOT of sunscreen - when we were there the hotel shop did not sell any and we ran out. Bring an extra tube just in case, go to pilar for the lobster lunch (or go right at the beach on the resort and you'll eventually hit the lobster shack - hear it's just as good there), The donuts at breakfast are delicious :), When you check in, ask for your towel card so you can go right to the club house to get your beach towel, order a bahama mama- delicious!, If you want to exchange your money into CUC, you can do it at the airport (when you leave the doors of the airport, make a left and keep walking, you will see a bank on the left), or you can go to the bank behind reception at the hotel. Keep in mind that if you book excursions via the sunwing rep, they do accept credit card.

All in all this trip was worth it and was a great experience. Some bumps with the resort being brand new but the people, the drinks and the atmosphere made up for it. Don't forget your 25 CUC per person when you go to the airport to go home. They do not accept any other currency for the departure tax. Only CUC. And if you're like us and want to buy authentic cuban cigars/rum, there are 3 or 4 duty free shops in the airport - stop in on your way home and pick them up. On the 2nd floor there is also a currency exchange if you need it on the way home for extra gifts. :)

Hope you have a fabulous trip!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
21 Thank CanadianK
Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your comments! We really appreciate them! They help us improve and shed light on the areas that we need to work on to offer the best product ever to you dear clients.

We are working hard to get more items in our beautiful hotel shop and they are coming in nicely! Towel cards are being given right at check in now also, just to save you the hassle of having to come back to recepcion.

We thank you again for taking the time to give us your opinion and hope to see you again soon at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your hom in the sun!
Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband, myself and our four children aged 18, 19, 21, and 22 travelled for a week on March 27th, until April 4, 2012. We had an absolutely wonderful time. The staff is remarkable from the gardners, to the cleaning staff, to the entertainment staff, we had such an amazing time. Check-in was very smooth and quick, the only comment I would have is that they should hand out the towel cards when you check in so you do not have to go back and pick them up. Our rooms were ready upon arrival, our children had two junior suites poolside balcony which they loved, and we had an Oceanview Suite in Bungalow three which was amazing. This is our fourth time to Cuba and this is by far the best room I have stayed in. Yenny our maid was amazing and kept our room spotless and it was most enjoyable to see what art she had created on our bed each day. The snack bar is by far remarkable and Yanet always kept the food coming and the calazones were so good I had to eat one everyday:) We did two ala carte dinners and I enjoyed the Cuban the best. The buffet has a large assortment of food not to mention you can get stirfry and pasta made fresh for you. The swim up pool bar rocks and many many thanks to Yoanis for making the best mojito that I have every tasted. The pool entertainment staff certainly kept our teenagers entertained, Carlos keeps everybody moving and dancing around the pool as well as volleyball and basketball.
The evening entertainment for the shows was also good, the Michael Jackson thriller tribute is by far the best I have ever seen!!
We did three excursions, the cave party which was good, suba diving which my sons said was amazing and then we did the James Bond speedboat which was fun fun fun.
We will definately be returning next year and bringing more people with us. I cannot wait to see how much more of the resort will be finished when we arrive.

Room Tip: Third floor bungalow three oceanview is amazing
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank Holly B
Dear guests:

Thank you for chosing to spend your vacation with us! We are more than proud to read your comments and get your feedback.

All your wonderful comments were duly revised by your Quality Control department and you will be happy to know that the beach towel tickets are now being give right at check-in as per your comments and others as well. We strive to better our services every day.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your opinion and we hope to see you again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I have been to many resorts all over Cuba, and the Memories Flamenco Beach Resort is certainly a five-star resort by Cuban standards. But I do have valid concerns, hence the four-star rating.

There were three “bungalows” available during my stay during the first week of April. They are actually three-storey apartments with 20 units on each floor, sixty in total.

Three more were being built in different stages. Another four are planned, giving the resort a total of 600 units. That translates into as many as 1,800 guests, including children. The question in my mind is whether the resort’s facilities will be able to accommodate that many guests.

It will have lots of competition. A large resort was being developed to the east (right), and roads were being built further east.

Rooms

I stayed in the east corner on the third floor in bungalow three, on the ocean side. You have to stand to get a good view of the ocean and coastline.

My room was brand new and clean, with plenty of storage space and a safety deposit box. A nice surprise, for me at least, was no bidet in the washroom.

One concern, however, was that the sliding window door to the balcony locks automatically. Thus you had to leave the door ajar, and let the heat in, to get back in from the balcony.

I always left a gift for the maid each morning, and she responded with interesting towel origami on my bed. Speaking of which, the bed, and pillow, was firm and comfortable for me.

Typical of many other, but not all, resorts in Cuba, you can’t get any Canadian channel on TV. This despite the fact every guest I met at this resort was from Canada. (Hint to management.)

Also, this resort has only 220 volt power. However, a more popular one in Cayo Coco also has 120 volt available. (Yet another hint to management.)

Restaurants

The buffet restaurant is excellent as far as both staff and quality of food are concerned. My biggest worry was gaining weight.

But why only orange juice is served for breakfast instead of different juices being available on the buffet tables? I’ve been to another five-star resort that does this — and leave a pot of hot coffee on your table. (Two more hints to management.)

The oriental à la carte restaurant was okay. But I got sick after eating fried fish in the Creole restaurant because it was too greasy. And I and other guests walked out of the steak restaurant because we had to have six courses on a fixed menu whether we wanted them or not, and the beef course (no steak!) was served last. Nuts!

Both the snack bar and Ranchon restaurant were above average with excellent choices of food. There is also a barbecue grill by the beach that serves hot dogs and hamburgers.

Pools

There are three pools, the upper one of which is up to 5’5” deep, the middle one which is shallow with a swim-up bar, and a children’s wading pool that was not used during my stay.

What disturbed me about these pools was that none of them were cleaned during my stay. The drains were clogged with bandages (stupid parents!), hair, sand and other debris, and ceramic tiles were coming loose due to poor workmanship.

Beach

Despite the reefs, stones and shells lining the beach, there is a boardwalk leading west (left) to sandy beaches, as well a pier to a gondola with steps leading down to shallow water where it is sandy. But you have to hold on to the rails because the steps are slippery.

The water west of the gondola is great for snorkelling with fish among corals and underwater vegetation. I managed to capture pictures of a small barracuda and a lionfish.

I also jogged daily west past mangroves and through shallow waters to the Memories Caribe Beach Resort and back. While there was a lot of nature to explore, my arms and legs were covered in bites from pesky cousins of our black flies.

On my way back one day I came across two straw bags full of rolled blue beach towels. I saw no one around, but there may be some connection between these towels and guests who complained about lost their beach towels. I always left mine on a lounge chair in the pool area.

Bars

In addition to the pool bar, there is also a beach bar on the boardwalk. Both served domestic and international drinks.

The “in” place to be at night was the piano bar where jazz and classical music were played on alternate nights. The place was packed after dinner.

Would I return to the Memories Flamenco Beach Resort? I am not so sure once it is fully built with more than three times the number of guests than during my stay.

Room Tip: Any room above the first floor (pool or ocean view), i.e., a balcony instead of a patio - for privac...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
11 Thank Scarberian
Dear guests:

Wow! What a wonderful review! Thank you so much for all your comments!!

We appreciate every one of them in order to improve our standards and quality. Rest assured that all your comments and hints were considered seriously by our Quality Control Department. Concerning the Canadian television channels, they should be arriving in the next few weeks as they were already ordered before hotel was opened. It takes a long time for the contracts to be signed unfortunately. As for the 220V, thank you for mentioning as I responded to another opinion, it is important to bring the adapters necessary not just at Memories Flamenco, but in all hotels of Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo.

We thank you once again for your comments and hope to see you again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun.
Summerside, P.E.I.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Vacationed at memories from march 16th to 23rd...got out of it what we wanted. Rest, sun and beach. From the time we arrived until the time we left, we were treated very well by all staff. Special thanks to LIOVET who did an awesome job on our room each day !! Our air conditioning was out for 2 days. No matter!! we closed the screen and enjoyed the sound of the waves and were not really uncomfortable. they did offer to change our room, but we were so contesnt in 2319, we stayed. In lieu of our inconvience, we did get a late complimentary check-out on our last day....this is good customer service !! We were fully aware before we left about the beach, etc and again, no matter !! we brought water-shoes and on the last day ( march 23rd) the walk way from the gazebo was finished down into the water. We also noted delivery of the toaster in the buffet the week we were there. Now about the food......we have nothing but good things to say. The food was plentiful and we had no issues with temperatures. At the snack bar, we enjoyed the burgers, pizza...they may have never came to us the same way twice...but well cooked with no issues. We cannot speak for the entertainment, as were were just too tired after days of sun and sand to take it in. We did however enjoy the lobby entertainment along with some fine cognac after dinner. We would have liked to have been introduced to management and perhaps filled out a questionnaire while there. I also have regard for JORGE MARIO (SUPER MARIO) our Sunwing rep. He took some awful grilling from other guests and it makes me angry that people feel the need to be so rude and self-indulgent 24/7/365....let it go people, this world is not perfect!! Lastly, we locked ourselves out on our balcony the second evening. We were " resued" about 20 minutes later by a smiling worker!! It is VERY EASY TO DO< as the door latches are spring loaded. Use caution with children !! Over-all, we had a great time, great weather, service. Does tipping help?? I don't know, but there was really nothing to buy, so we tipped every day. This was my 7th time to cuba and I know I will be back !!

Room Tip: true ocean view is only from the 3rd floor. the trees hide the view from the 2nd. however, as we kn...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank navajogem50
Dear guests:

We really appreciate your comments! Thank you so much! It would have been a pleasure to meet you in person to fill out our questionaire at the hotel, as we do have some available and try to contact every client before they leave to get their opinion on site to try to improve our services in time for you to see it.

We're sorry we didn't get to see you, but rest assured that your comments are all duly revised by the Quality Control department and we constantly review them to insure the best service and products to our clients.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, we look forward to seeing again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We arrived at Memories Flamenco on March 24th, and stayed for a week. Overall the place is fantastic, and the staff are more than fantastic!
We were greeted at the lobby with a cocktail (mocktail, I believe) -- in champagne glasses - very fruity and pretty. Check in was quick and simple.
We hung out for a while at the lobby bar before we could get a key to our room. (We arrived mid morning). Waiting for the room wasn't an issue. We met other (GREAT) guests while waiting.... a very good way to start our vacation!
The rooms are spacious, and clean. We read that we didn't need to bring an adapter, so we didn't. Big mistake -- If you plan on plugging in a curling/straightening iron -- at the mirror, then you should bring one.
Pools were very nice -- shallow, clean, warm and pretty quiet. There were people constantly cleaning the pool. Swim up bar was fabulous. Younis (not sure if I spelled that correctly) was my favourite bartender/staff on the resort! Very accommodating, super friendly, and professional. Pools were never super busy, but busy enough at the swim up bar to meet a few new friends!
I've read that the some people didn't really like the buffet. I thought it was awesome! The breakfast buffet had a Mimosa station, and a Bloody Mary station! I brought a 6 pack of Motts Clamato juice! The food selection was abundant.
The lunch buffet was great too. One day I found spicy Thai sauce beside the rice. (tasted like Thai sauce...? -- was HOT, and great) I didn't have any problems with the temperature of the food. The BBQ had a wide selection of grilled meats. Some really tasty "sherise" sausage... (again not sure if I spelled that correctly, but it was cured, dried, and amazing)! I don't usually eat dessert at lunch but their bread pudding was to die for! I've never tasted better! I really did wish they had more brown rice though.
Often at the dinner buffet they had a theme happening. One night, was taco night.... was really good again. That night I believe they were handing out cuba-libre's at the door. I don't drink that, but still it was nice way to welcome guests for dinner. Another night we were welcomed with champagne.
Twice during the week I asked for a bottle of champagne during dinner, which the waiter brought. The food selection at dinner was large! Lots of seafood, chicken, beef.....etc....
The piano bar was a great place to spend the evening. The first time we sat in there in the evening I was blown away by the talent of the piano player, then the girl that played the flute was amazing too. Both of them didn't compare to the man that sung opera...I don't even like opera -- at all -- but I could listen to him sing every night!! AMAZING!
The one questionable thing that happened at the lobby bar though was when I asked for a Grand Marnier on the rocks. He said, yeah, that costs 7 pesos for a shot!! I thought it was all inclusive, and even if that's changed.... 7 pesos for a shot of Grand Marnier is just silly! On the other side of the coin though, they did make really good Spanish Coffee! (included)
I only saw one entertainment show in the theatre. Was pretty good! The disco was fun.... I did ask them to play some Country music...(lol)... (Johnny Cash).... they said, yes, but later told me they didn't have any. Would have been best if they just said no upfront! I believed them to begin with! I'm sure the DJ was really just trying to be nice, and figured I'd forget about it.
The beach was good, but needs work. I really appreciated how they help with chairs, and the beach bartenders were great. We didn't spend much time at the beach though. One afternoon I went swimming off the boardwalk, and much to my dismay I found that I had green paint all over my hands. The boardwalk was just re-painted. I could have missed the signs... but I don't think so. Personally I would prefer a beach that you can comfortably walk into.... In time I'm sure that this will be done. (at least that's what I've heard)
The other guests that we met at this resort were incredible. Everyone was there to have a great time, and a great time was had us, and by all of the folks we met.

Would I go back.... I'd would definately say yes....except, the beach needs work! It's not a complete "show stopper", but for some it's very important. The water is crystal clear, and the chair area is filled with white sand....

Room Tip: We were in room 2106..... terrace by the upper pool. Very close to everything.... and if you wante...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SharanGood
Dear guests:

We appreciate every comment we recieve in order to improve our standards and quality. With your comments, we make sure to revise every department frequently to insure that we always give our customers the best service and offers they rightly deserve.

All your comments are duly revised by our Quality Control department, thank you also about your comment about adaptors. They are difficult to come by in Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo so it is best to bring your own. For your information and that of future guests, plans include remodelation of the beach always caring for natural habitat of course.

Thank you once again for your comments, and we sure hope to see you once again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#7 of 7 in Oyster Pond
A Peace of Paradise
A Peace of Paradise
#1 of 1 in Praslin Quarter

Been to Memories Flamenco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!