“Excellent”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Gatineau, Canada
“Excellent”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Just got back from Laguna for the third time...

Really nice people, food is good, place is clean, beach is nice, snorkling amazing...We go there every year and are very happy!!

Ariel (guest service), Adrian (animation), Dya (animation), Anna (reception) are all fabulous!!

All depending of your experience...lot of bad comments, I don't have any complaints!

Don't forget you're in Cuba at the beach...not in Canada in the snow!!!

Chantal, Gatineau

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank chacai1
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 2 June 2016
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Hotel.
We would like to clarify though that the hotel chain is concerned to listen to the voice of our customers through internet and dedicated an especial staff to track feedbacks and deliver them to the corresponding Managers by destination and rectify those areas in which we need to work.
On Line Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Just got back from Laguna for the third time...

Lot of bad comments don't forget you're in Cuba at the beach...not in Canada in the snow!!!

Chantal, Gatineau

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank chacai1
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed at the Hotel La Laguna From Feb 1st-8th 2012 and having this my 3rd visit to Cuba, it was by far my best Cuban Experience. The service that this resort provides to the guest was remarkable. I received 2 phone calls in my room asking if there was anything I needed, the waiters and waitresses ensure that you do not need to get out of your chair to receive a drink. Afterall, it is Vacation. Freddy from the Cigar Bar entertains by flipping bottles in the air, catching ice in cups behind his back and certainly remembers what drinks you enjoy. Alex from the pool bar walks around the entire day delivering drinks, and the service at the Lobby bar was great as well. The resort was extreamly clean and the entire staff went beyond the call of Duty.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Tara D
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 10 March 2016
Dear Guest,
We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us, as well as to recommend others to visit us.
It is satisfying to read you have loved the food quality, the shows, the beach, the room comfort & the service of all our friendly staff.
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This hotel is rated as a 3.5 star. We definately got 5 star service our whole vacation. The rooms, and resort were very clean, the staff was friendly and the food was good. Freddy at the cigar bar was excellent and he sure made our trip. Alex at the pool was great as well. A definate resort to check out. Hipolito was awsome as well. Had no complaints.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ANGELAFORAN
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Hey Friends. I've been to this resort twice, when it was Krystal Laguna and the Emperador, combined. My last time there, was January 2010. The Iberostar people had just taken over, and after talking with the new manager, It was suggested to me that I skip a year, and come back.
So I have, and checked out 2 different resorts in the meantime. Check out my other reviews.
My first time here, was in April of 2009, for two weeks. So far, 4 times in Cayo Coco, this place is the best. Amazing weather, amazing beach, amazing Animation staff, and amazing service.
It would be a shame, if they were to separate the two resorts, unless they made it all one.
The reason I say this, is because of the layout of both. If you're an early riser, like me, I like to take a walk in the morning, and the scenery is not only fabulous, especially around the docks, where the Laguna cabins are. You'll see some very interesting things, and that was "BIG" for me. I may still write a novel about it, I was that inspired. The statues, the fish in the lagoon, the little red crabs, that nest near the beach. And lots more.
So, April 2009, first time in Cayo Coco. I travel alone, and trust no one. LOL. That soon changed.
I should say at this point, that I have been to a couple of the towns in Cuba, and please trust me when I say, that these people live on next to nothing. The "upfront" people at the resorts, the bartenders, the waiters/ waitresses, they do pretty good. It's the people working in the kitchen, the girl cleaning your room, the guy at the beach, happy to get you a lounge chair, and place it wherever you'd like it, that are not.
No one lives on the island of Cayo Coco. It is populated simply, by 11 resorts, and mega tourists. People that work at the resort, deal with a three hour journey, ( back and forth), just to earn the equivalent of 28 Canadian dollars per month!!! Scary huh??
When I became aware of this, I began to tip, very well. I'm certainly not wealthy, but the appreciation, respect, and service, was amazing. Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. Or, give your head a shake, Canadians, drop a few bucks!!!!
Back to the resort. They have four specialty restaurants. My rec. would be the "International", ( order the lobster, 12 pesos), but the seafood restaurant was great too.
And find Roberto, at one of the bars. You haven't had a true "Mojito", til Roberto makes you one. Not only a great bartender, but a true spirit, in a troubled country.
My apologies, I can't remember more names. You will find the #1 juggling bartender in Cuba, at this resort, and the show is awesome!!!!
My first two weeks was so amazing, I couldn't wait to go back, so I did, January 2010.
Not only was I remembered, but I was treated like " Royalty" for my whole stay. I already had a good room, but they wanted to offer me the best, and for me, that's rare!!!! LMAO.
They have a great disco, on site, so if you are into late night dancing, it's all there.
I say it in all my reviews, but if you are going to Cuba for the food, then stay home.
They are not big on spices, but they don't mind you bringing your own stuff, Ketchup a must.
Peanut butter, Instant coffee. etc.
I've met a lot of wonderful people, at this resort, mostly from the UK, and Canada, and am still in touch with most on Facebook.
I will be returning to the "New and Improved", La Laguna / Krystal Laguna / Emperador resort.
Another thing that I meant to mention, is that the acreage, if you will, always provides a space, and quiet time, for lovers.
I hope to meet you there. Terry.

Room Tip: I prefer to be close to the pool, but the cabins are nice.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank Terry O
Ontario
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This was our first trip to Cuba, and we were pleasantly surprised. As this is only ranked as a 3.5 star resort, and our previous vacation was to a 5 star in Mexico, we had lower expectations, but we had few complaints about our stay here. The room we were in was very clean, we had no problems with water pressure or a shortage of hot water. The beds were reasonably comfortable, but it would be nice if they had queen/king size instead of two doubles. There were no bugs while we were there, but it was also very windy. The pools were very nice, the beach was stunning.
Food was good, one of us is a picky eater and still found something good to eat every day. There's not a ton of variety at the buffet, but they have the fresh fish/beef/pork station and the pasta station every night, and the a-la-cartes were very good. The omelet station was nice every morning, and we loved going to the snack bar every day for lunch (they have burgers, fries, pizza, hotdogs, etc. between 12-4).
The people (except for the front-desk staff) were very friendly and helpful - they really do make the resort amazing. We stayed in building 17 and had our room cleaned by Yaquelin, who is an amazing woman!!!
Frank, one of the cooks, was very accommodating of my husband's requests, they got along great. Alex, who serves drinks at the pool, was great. Axcel and Allain were awesome bartenders.
We enjoyed going to the show every night. The disco was fun, but not highly frequented, so you kind of just have to get the party started. Great music & atmosphere though!
The only cons were the constant music at the pool, the fact the buffet closes for breakfast at 10 (my husband is a late riser), and that half the resort is closed to be renovated. I'd go back again, just to see what this place is like at full capacity with the whole resort open. Also, keep an eye on your room charges. We got billed 12 pesos for a phone call we definitely did not make, and weren't given a choice but to pay it.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms have a great view, first floor get a terrace. Try and avoid the main pool are...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank MrsSVK
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This place was not at all what I expected. Now of course alot of it did have to do with the fact we had horrible weather. But food was horrible ..unless you are a fan of ham and cheese and ONLY ham and cheese. My travelling group all ended up sick within the second day of being there. If you are a simple eater youll be fine but if your paying enough.. why not get better food?
The beach was fabulous but hard to access and a long ways away from the resort. The lagoon does not look at all like it does in the pictures..it is dirty brown water filled with jellyfish and smells rotten! Now I see that they may have made some upgrades so perhaps this place is better than it was before. Now i have been to other places in Cuba and there is alot more bang for your buck to be had elsewhere.

Room Tip: Dont chose a room near the lagoons.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1.0 km away
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Iberostar Mojito? Share your experiences!