March 16-23, 2012. This was our third visit to Cuba but the first to Cayo Coco. We chose Hotel La Laguna primarily because of the excellent reviews on this site. We were not disappointed. The Hotel staff were extremely welcoming even though we arrived quite late in the evening. Music in the lobby and fruit punch for everyone. We were able to get a meal in the restaurant despite the late hour. I will try to break this down.
Hotel - Lovely, open, pleasant, clean grounds with beautiful gardens. The buildings are 2-3 storeys and in keeping with Cuban architecture. The staff were extremely friendly, always helpful and showed remarkable (too much, in my opinion) restraint with the few but inevitable drunks who could not handle free booze. The rooms were very clean, freshly painted, simple but, comfortable. Some small issues with the sink not draining quickly enough and shower faucet not perfect, but none of them serious enough for us to complain. We were in block 19 on the third floor and loved the location .... close to the adult pool, far enough away from the main pool, the open stage and the disco. The music from those areas is enough to blast your eardrums. The buildings around the adult pool are the best choice (but NOT 18). The lagoon pods are not being used right now....possibly under renovation. Personally, we would not want to be there. Iberostar has bought the hotel and there are plans to renovate the whole resort.
Food: As in all of of Cuba the food is simple but tasty. Lots of fresh fruit (but rather tasteless juice) , fish (though we did not eat it much), beef, chicken, pork. Some vegetables were canned and were often badly overcooked. Breakfast was always very good with the chefs at the grill customizing your order. Wine...not great. Beer was fine. There was only one night when we had some difficulty finding something we liked. We went for the Cuban dinner and the Steak night a la cartes both at the Gallo Restaurant. The cuban meal was very good. The steak...my husband's was workable but mine...half was inedible, half was workable. The red wine that night was a Spanish wine and very good. If you are a fussy eater, Cuba is not for you.
Beach - Our initial reaction was not great as the beach was covered with seaweed and pretty narrow. It appears that the machine they use to clean the beach was broken and after a couple of days it was cleaned up and when the tide was out there was quite wide expanse of very fine beach. The winds were very strong and there were always whitecaps and rough seas. Personally, we used the beach mainly for our daily walks but not to spend time on. For us, It was too crowded and not enough shade. But the beach itself is beautiful.
Pool - 2 pools, the main one with the bar and pool hut which we did not frequent due to all the activity and music. We preferred the adult pool which was smaller, quiet and very pleasant. Pool/Beach towels available at the pool cabana.
Weather - in late March, absolutely perfect. Temps in the high 20s but the strong winds meant zero humidity and zero bugs. I think I saw one mosquito and no other critters. We shut off our AC and left the windows open all day - there were no screens. We only closed them if the lights were on. Ladies might take a shawl or sweater for the evenings.
Our overall experience was very good but we would like to see improvements in more fresh vegetables cooked properly and better security handling of the drunks. Yes, we would go back again. We met couples who had been coming back for 2 to 3 years. Is it a 4 star? More like 3.5+++++++
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 352 Standard Rooms ( 36 of them are Superior Rooms). 1 buffet (divided into two sections: Lotus and Los Portales), 2 a la carte restaurants with 3 menus (italian, international and gourmet), a snack bar, a grill, a disco, a cigar lounge, 7 bars. It also have an anfitheatre, a mini club, 3 sweet water swimming pools (main, only adults and only children), 3 tennis courts, a gym, a massage saloon and a nautical sports center. Among other services there are: Conference room, wi fi Internet service, shops, beauty parlor , Money exchange, rent- a- car, tourism desk and medical service 24 hours a day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your IBEROSTAR Mojito reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nh Krystal Laguna Resort
- Nh Krystal Laguna Hotel
- Krystal Laguna Cuba
- Nh Krystal Laguna Cayo Coco
- Nh Krystal Laguna Villas Resort
- Nh Krystal Cuba
- Krystal Laguna Cayo Coco
- Nh Krystal Laguna Cuba
- Krystal Cayo Coco