“First Time There, Not The Last” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iberostar Mojito

Iberostar Mojito
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Mississauga, Canada
“First Time There, Not The Last”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We were at La Laguna from March 31-April 7 2012 and it was amazing. The only complaint I had was that I had to leave. Upon arrival we were welcomed like we were family. The staff were helpful and immediate in showing the true hospitality of this resort. Our room was big, bright and clean. We were in block 11, far enough away from the disco and main pool for it to be quiet when we needed it to be. The walk to the beach was 5 minutes from our room and it was beautiful. The sands were cleaned of ocean debris daily. The water was awesome! The buffet had a lot of choice, something for everyone. It was constantly filled, right to the last minute, so if you came late, you had the same choice as everyone else. Your glass stayed full as did your belly! The 2 a la carte restaurants we had were fantastic. My partner and I didn't suffer from any type of E Coli or food poisoning or any illness while staying at the resort, nor did any of the numerous couples we became friends with while there. Many people we talked to have been to the resort 5 or more times and keep coming back. The bar service was fantastic, drinks made the way you like and big smiles on all the bar tender and wait staff's faces. It was hot hot hot when we were there, but the pool (we spent the time at the smaller adult pool as it was quieter and less busy) was refreshing and clean. There are lots of excursions and activities offered by the hotel for reasonable rates. This was my first time in any Caribbean country, at any resort, but I had an amazing experience and will definitely be coming back!!!

Room Tip: Main floor have a small patio, upper levels don't. Block 11 was quiet and close to both the main...
2 Thank Transitgirl
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 10 March 2016
Dear Guest
We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us.
It is satisfying to read you have loved the service of all our friendly staff.
We are looking forward to seeing you in the future then.
Wishing you all the best,
On Line Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Rosslyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

If our experience was any indication of the Iberostar transformation taking place, we would rate La Laguna as working diligently to becoming a 4* resort.

What sets it apart? The staff! A resort is a resort; it's the people who make it memorable. I hope that the Iberostar management team appreciates how hard they work and their very gracious attitude toward each and every guest. (Letting them go during the renovations could well be the downfall?). From gardeners to kitchen staff, front line waiters to the activity team - thank you for all that you did for us!

WestJet Vacations offers La Laguna as a 10 day package. We appreciate having 2 travel days and then a full week to enjoy the resort. The additional bonus is a short 15 minute drive from the airport, and Westjet has made the most of both arrival and departure times. Their representative was excellent (attend the orientation even if you are an experienced traveller).

The beach is first class, beautiful white, soft sand - and expansive especially during low tide. We were up early enough to greet the guys raking up seaweed and debris every morning, and the attendants who would personally clean every beach chair.

We loved the entertainment, and applauded the efforts of the dancers and musicians. A variety of excellent musicians appeared in the lobby bar each evening, and got folks up to dance (even after a long day in the sun). Friday afternoon featured Cuban dancers and a special spit roasted pig - delish!

If you use a bit of creative thinking, the buffet could please even picky eaters. We found the breakfast menu interesting - freshly cooked eggs (tomato and cheese omelets for example), tasty breads and ripe fruit - complemented by a cappucino or two served at the table... For lunch we switched between the buffet (made to order pasta) and the pool snack bar for their pizzas and salad... And at dinner, the ala cartes offered tasty appetizers which could have replaced the full entree. (Having visited in Cuban homes, we need to remember that the resort menu is far and above what is available to island residents... rice and beans, pork in its many forms, and fruit are staples - day after day after day...)

We encountered 2 small problems which were corrected instantly. We asked to be moved to a ground floor room away from the noise. Block 12 did the trick - freshly painted, new linens and above average maid service. Our safe would not lock, and the maintenance crew had that up and running within an hour.

Our 1 downside? We forgot to bring bug spray. Sand flies and mosquitos on the beach and on the patios appear when the wind dies down, and after rain. If you prefer to walk around dawn, spray... same at dusk (in the open air restaurants).

Also, recommend bringing: your own beach towel; travel mugs; tupperware containers for snacks; Canadian $ (not USA); after bite spray; lots of suntan lotion!; and a nail brush to scrub off the fine sand. (Some brought their own maple syrup, peanut butter and ketchup.)

Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Block 12 quiet, freshly painted and clean. Air conditioner and plumbing worked well.
5 Thank Ideasculptor
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 2 June 2016
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Hotel.
We would like to clarify though that the hotel chain is concerned to listen to the voice of our customers through internet and dedicated an especial staff to track feedbacks and deliver them to the corresponding Managers by destination and rectify those areas in which we need to work.
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Wow, where do I begin. From the moment we arrived , we were greated with huggs and kisses from our friends from La Laguna. I have travelled many many times and been return guests at a few hotels, never to be remembered or welcomed like this time..Lis , the guest relations manager went above and beyond my expectations to arrange special events for our group, and for that mi amiga my heartfelt thanks and gratitude. Everything was done for us before our arrival. Adrian ,well what can I say, that I haven't already said in previous reviews. Adrian sat with us like we were at a family reuinion,talked to us like we have known him a lifetime and shared with us his hospitality like a true friend and gentleman.I miss you already. Many of our group have never been to Cuba and I think would return in a heartbeat..

I won't go on about food although I felt it was very good,or rooms also very good ,clean bright
as already stated in other reviews. My main point is the service .All I can say is oustanding.
Every single person at this hotel had a warm smile, helpful, gracious feeling about them and This is why most guests return year after year. As long as there is a La Laguna I WILL be back year after year as well. Until next time , which is June, thank you Lis, Adrian, Roberto,Sandro,Amaury,Papa,Alain, Ariel,Mario at the beach,Lius,and everyone who has touched my heart so very much.. You all made our vacation most memorable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank judie938
Sudbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We just returned home from Cayo Coco La Laguna Resort. The check in staff were very friendly and helpful. Ariel helped us book our a la carte resturants as soon as we arrived. Our rooms were in building 20 great location, and very clean. The food was a nice surprise, very good. We enjoyed five a la carte dinners and one buffet dinner. The pasta, fish and chicken were amazing. Yamil at the seafood resturant was wonderful, we really enjoyed his humor and service. Alex is the pool side waiter and provided amazing service, drinks all week long. We took the glass bottom boat out to the reef for 20 pes, the snorkeling was a highlight of our trip. The beach staff were very quick to bring us chairs, clean them and set them up. You don't have to tip to get great service, but we did and a little went along way. I packed items to tip with ( pocket knife, multi tool, medication, tampons, makeup, kids toys) and the results were above and beyond. I have been to cuba five times and this one was the best holiday yet.

8 Thank NickelCityRacing
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

March 27 - April 3

This is our second time to Cayo Coco and 6th time to Cuba (second time at a hotel rated in the 3* range, once in Varadero and now Languna)

The staff is the best part of the hotel, they are by far the friendly and most helpful and English speaking crew I have ever encountered in all my winter vacations be it Cuba, Mexico or Jamaica.

The buffet was actually not bad at all, I've encounter worse buffets at 4 and 5 star places in both Mexico and Cuba, so I was genuinely surprised. However I did make sure I always waited in line for the freshly cooked meats, eggs or pasta to ensure that my meal was to my liking. I also enjoyed the Cuban restaurant where I ordered the lobster dinner for an extra $12 cuc and visited the VIP restaurant where dinner was fine.

The hotel is clearly having an identity crisis as the landmarking signs and directional maps all say Emperador, my bracelet as well as the staff shirts all said El Senador, my key to keep the rooms air conditioning going read NH Hotels, the books on my nightstand all were Iberostar Hotel catalogs and the hotel is now called La Laguna which is displayed on the TV behind Reception. When I asked the manager he told me that Iberostar is buying (or in the middle of negotiations to buy) the hotel. If this does end up happening the staff is very concerned that the hotel will close from May to Sept in order for the new company to renovate. This means that if you give the staff a tip, that dollar will now have to last them 5 months when they will have no income whatsoever. I have little doubt that the hotel will close for awhile from the way the managers seem to be talking. And to be honest, the hotel does need some work, it's a bit tired looking.

The cigar bar is a nice atmosphere for a relaxing drink and Freddy is a wonderful bartender keeping 10 to 12 drinks in his head at all times as he generally is working alone. The woman who runs the beauty shop is pretty good at her trade, I enjoyed a couple trips to her immensely. The front reception was more than helpful, kind and considerate and switched our room from block 14 to 1917 which had a great view of the ocean and pool, was on the third floor with no critters to be seen, lots of hot water but not so great with the pressure but I'm not complaining, just stating the fact.

I wouldn't say I was in the lap of luxury by any means but for the amount of money of I paid, which was HALF of my cost to the 5* Meila up the street, but I was very well taken care of.
The beach was beautiful, no seaweed to be had, the tide was out so you could walk forever out to sandbar after sandbar and there was never a shortage of beach chairs or pool chairs. I will however comment that the beach chairs are my least favorite kind, slats only, so my back hurt after a few hours. Also the evening shows could have started a little earlier and they could forgo the Magician, that was just terrible if I'm being honest. I also wished I had seen workers cleaning the various pools. I have never been to a resort where I did not see the daily morning routine of vacuuming, moping, skimming etc. here I did not encounter any of that and we all know the smokers unfortunately use the ground as their personal ash tray so there was more cleaning on the pool deck needed. I wont get into my pet peeve about the beach being one big ashtray, as the machine rakes up the sand every morning to hide all the cigarettes that smokers bury all day without thought to anyone else. And this is not a refection on the hotel at all - how on earth do you control people's manners.

At any rate, for the money you spend, this hotel is worth it - because of the staff. They work very hard to make a good impression in order for you to tell people to pick this hotel to visit. My complaints or issues are so minor and pail in comparison to the lovely service I received. I imagine that when the hotel is back up and running and renovations completed (one side is completely closed - over where the skating rink is) it will be a 4* or 4+, which means the cost will rise. So take your trip there now, don't worry about the frills, and just be happy with a well priced vacation.

Room Tip: 1917 - high floor if you don't mind stairs and is an end unit. The wrap around windows are wonde...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank needingholidays
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Really I have no idea why people would slam this resort, I have been there over 12 times and I know everyone that works there and every square inch of the property. I have been away from Cuba and this resort for three years, reason being no Blackberry Data. In the last few months Rogers and Cuba Cell have entered into a data, voice and texting agreement that you can purchase travel packs before you leave Canada . Now about the resort, this resort was great when owned by Serge Savarde, and the NHLPA then it switched hands to N H Krystal chain that’s when the problems really started. In my opinion the N.H group drove this resort to the ground and really killed it. They did not even want this resort, but since they wanted the Hotel Parque in Havana the Cuban Government insisted that this property had to be part of the deal. N.H does not run to many all-inclusive its mainly in the hotel business. You can see why the place was run down because they did not want to reinvest capital in this place and ran it to the ground, this is why they are gone from this resort and also from Havana Hotel Parque. Present day Iberostar will also manage and run the Parque and this resort keep in mind Iberostar manages hundreds of Hotels and all-inclusive Resorts worldwide and they want this property the way I understand it that they had to take the Hotel Parque as part of the deal and they will be investing heavily in this resort through renovations and excellent international management team.
Now this is the first time back for me in three years at this resort and let me tell you it was day and night compared to the last time I stayed there, under N.H management. I found the food quality was improved by 1000% the attitude of the staff 1000% improvement. But what I find striking was the Iberostar Management team was on their game they had that place under control, staff motivated checking the food the bars the washrooms man what a difference I saw. I say way to go Iberostar finally a team that can get this beautiful resort the respect that not only the property deserves but for all the hard working Cubans that need good leaders to help them bring new customers in but have a solid repeat clientele . So I say this to people reading this kind of strange but informative review give this place a chance, these people that work at this resort were really hurt by the former N>H management team and know they are left bad reviews and holding the bag through no fault of their own. Go to this resort you will not be disappointed but surprised, good staff, good Management , top end bar. Furthermore you will not be able to go to this place for this value price for long because word is catching on that this is the best resort in Cayo Coco and be sure it will. So book your ticket at the Laguna , eat, drink and sleep well and have fun. Tony

Room Tip: Block 23 by the Kid Zone very private and close to everything.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank LOCOCOMPLETO
Port Colborne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We have just returned from Cayo Coca and a wonderful trip.This was a return visit and better then the first time.
Hotel Newly renovated and so nice. The staff that work at reservation desk are always there and willing to help you.The lobby bar is great and the waiters and waitresses never see you without bringing a drink..be it coffee or alcohol.
The rooms are clean and we always had hot water. Maid service was great and we were always thanked personally for our gifts we brought.Gardners great at keeping the grounds clean and cut.We even met our gardner from Emperador ( 4 years ago)and he remembered us and hugs were plentiful.
Buffet:Meals were excellent The chef for breakfast made the best omelets.Everyone was happy and the food was still good.I didn't find anything too bland.
Pools and Beach:The pools were clean and the sea side was clean .Excellent swimming in both places.
Entertainment:The shows were good and dancers excellent.May shows could have started a bit earlier.
We took the Moron City bus ride which was very interesting and good. Best thing for my husband was he drove the boat on the boat ride!!!!!
We went with our friends who were "newbies" and they had a wonderful time.Coming back next year..met Lis in hospitality and she had everything ready for us.Thanks Lis. Went to see Freddie at Cigar Lounge..excellent. Needs to be promoted more.

Room Tip: we were in block 23...good choice. Not far from lobby, not noisy, ground floor with no bugs or critt...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
#4 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,947 reviews
7.4 km away
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to Iberostar Mojito? Share your experiences!