New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Our second stay at Tryp...never again!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto
“Our second stay at Tryp...never again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Sorry, not a happy one this time. We travelled a lot (usually twice a year Panama, Bahamas, Cuba, Dominican, Paris, New York, Europe or taking cruises). Me, my husband and our 17 year old daughter went to Tryp 8 years ago the first time and loved it. This year April 3 to 10 we decieded to go back and booked it thru Itravel 2000. We arrived in the evening and could not sleep due to drunk youngsters screaming and splashing in the pool in the middle of the night (the room was facing the main pool, lobby and bar). Went at 3 am in the morning begging for a quieter room. My husband got a key from reception and could not open replacement room, went back and it turned out electrician needed to take care of this issue which took another couple of hours. By 5 am my husband finally opened the second room (electrician was adamant to leave and was waiting for tips). Next day we moved in. The room had heavy moldy smell with condenstation dripping from a/c unit. In the middle of the night we discovered lots of cochroaches in the bathroom. They were noted under the towels in the bathroom and even inside the plastic bags with our belongings left on bathroom countertops(toothbrushes, toothpaste,etc). I was totally disgusted and started hiding all toothbrushes in the suitcase. The food was similar to the food anywhere else in Cuba but the cleanliness of plates, cups leaved much to be desired. On the third day the toilet flex hose developed a leak. We informed guest survice, maid and they said it would be fixed right away. In 24 hours and after our fourth reminder they finally sent somebody over to repair it. Again, we were asked for money. The guy started explaining us he was trying to also fix half plugged sink ( i forgot even to mention it). It was not the end. I got sick and was put on antibiotics( due to a sore throat).But my daughter was a different story demonstrating the true cleanliness of the hotel. My daughter got severly sick because of food poisioning (never happened before) and was put on different medications and IV, and was sick for 2 days straight. We strongly belived that the quality of hotel went considerably down compared to 8 years ago. We usually don't sweat the small stuff, but this time the vacation was a dreaded one. I understand that cochroaches are everywhere in the Carabbean but at Tryp you can see them even in the main bar esspresso machine. Despite the horrible hotel and slow guest service, the beach at Cayo Coco is amazing.

Room Tip: If you need your vacation quiet take blocks 12,14.
1 Thank Luv2travel1990
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We sincerely regret that you have had such a bad experience. It would have been very nice for us to be aware of it during your stay to make our effort to mend the whole situation. We hope you are already recovery of health but you can not assure your daughter developed a food poisoning but travelers stomach disorders which is very common when people change their habits. We sincerely hope you might reconsider a new visit to our resort. If so we will be at your disposal anytime.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,218)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Well lets start with the bus trip from the airport...20 mins...very quick. Checking in at night was a huge undertaking when 30 plus people check in at once...they pointed to the general direction of the room until I asked and got a bell man with a golf cart. We were put in the #8 block (which I requested) on the ground floor. Very nice area. Right at the beach and the pool. The pool is gorgeous, large and clean. Lots of loungers and shaded areas. Beach is beautiful. Clean, clear water. No rocks or seaweed. You can walk out for hundreds of metres. Plenty of loungers. There is a young man that will get you a lounger if you don't see one nearby.
The room was a whole different ballgame. I know the rooms are old, but very, very musty smelling. My allergies kicked in immediately!!!! My grandson (he's only 17 months) had 2 severe allergic reactions..(thank god I'm a paramedic and brought lots of drugs, just in case). We traced it back to the 'comforters' in the room. We threw them outside and he was fine afterwards. There are no screens on any of the rooms so being on the ground floor, we couldn't leave the patio door open at night for a breeze. The air conditioning is somewhat fickle. It basically has 2 settings..whimpy and whimpier. Bring your own pillow if you're fussy. The pillows are those 4 foot long things that are next to impossible to sleep on. I went to guest services and asked for better pillows and they brought me these old ugly couch pillows that were older than me, but I gave them a A for effort.
The bars were OK..they gave the guys beer in those little plastic cups where you take 2 sips and your beer is gone. They often ran out of glasses. The bars are 3 deep after dinner and unless you throw some pesos around...service is a little tough to get.
The food at the buffet was good. Basic, nothing overly fancy but good. Tip your waiters a few pesos at the beginning and they will give amazing service.
We did try the international restaurant and it was quite good. The wedding reception was held there.
The wedding was beautiful. It was right on the beach. The wedding planner was a bit of a tool...but he tried.
Overall, if you don't mind the musty room, the food is good, pool is good, beach is beautiful. I would give it a 3 overall..we got our money's worth.

Room Tip: Block 5 or 8 is the best. If you get a bad room, go to guest services and get it changed. Most of o...
1 Thank SassySam57
Dear Guest,

We sincerely apologies for any inconveniences you had during your stay and that you are mentioned here. Actually the humidity in this area is very high and allergic reactions are very frequent. We are glad knowing that your daughter´s wedding was beautiful and we understand it was the main reason for you to come here on holidays. We hope you can give us anew opportunity. Thank you for comments, they are opportunities for improvements.

Meaford, Canada

Traveled with my Sister from March 29th to April 5th 2012
As this was my first vacation ever, I wanted to make sure everything went without a hitch. So after booking our trip, I emailed the hotel and and requested a top floor room (so we wouldn't have people on top of us) and we asked to be put in a quieter part of the resort. Was emailed back by the hotel manager, thanking us for booking there and letting me know where our room would be. We were indeed on the second (top) floor and in the farthest building away from all of the action. It was peaceful and quiet and relaxing.
Check in at the hotel was very quick. The staff were friendly and smiling. Our questions were all answered and we got the room we were quoted in our e-mail, We were given a map and shown where our building was and had no problems finding our room. You don't have to pay for the safe lock (as many reviewers state) but you do have to sign for it, and would have to pay a replacement fee if you lose it. Our room was ready at check-in. And we were upgraded to an ocean-view room free of charge.
The room was dated, and sure it could have used a little sprucing up. But everything worked just fine. The A/C worked great. The shower always had lots of hot water and amazing pressure, The tub was a nice treat since I have only a shower at home and enjoyed soaking in the tub in the evenings.
The beds are a little hard but worked just fine, Lots of pillows and blankets to make yourself comfortable with. We had to sleep with the curtains shut because we could not figure out how to shut off the patio light. There were a couple of English t.v. channels, which was nice to have on while we were getting ready for bed and just relaxing. Although the towels and sheets were apparently old, as they were thinning in spots, they smelled good and weren't at all stained or holey. No mold. No mildew. Despite the fact that it was extremely humid during our stay. Our housekeeper was quick and kept everything in wonderful condition during our stay. Nothing in our room went missing or anything. I always had to hand her cash tips, if left them on the dresser for her, she left them sitting there, unsure if they were for her or not.
When we got in line (the only actual line we waited in the whole week) to book our 'a la Carte' reservations, the people in front of us were so picky and so rude. The poor woman taking the reservations was getting obviously frustrated, but I couldn't blame her because we were too and so were the other people in line. I couldn't believe how much they whined about every reservation she offered them. We went right after them, smiled at the lady and told her we we on holidays and had no schedule so to fit us in wherever and whenever she could. Every time she offered us a reservation we just said that's perfect, thank you. She even gave us an extra slot just for being so easy. Sometimes it pays to be nice.
The food at the Tryp was better than I though it would be. There was a large variety of food at the buffet. I tried a lot of different stuff. It's not the greatest food. But I've been to many buffets here in Ontario that weren't as good as the Tryp buffet. My sister is super picky and even she managed to keep herself fed. The pasta and potato salads were always yummy. The pasta station is great as well. Fresh fruit smoothies made for you at breakfast was excellent. We ate at the Italian and BBQ a la cartes for dinner and both had excellent food and service. The red wine served with dinner was always great. A friend had white as she said it was good as well. The Pizza at lunch at the Barcaza was awesome. and the bar there makes great cocktails. All the staff that we encountered at the resort, and I mean every one of them were Happy and helpful and smiling. After the first couple of days, the bartenders all knew me and had my drinks ready before I even got there. Maybe it was because I tipped them (a lot of people don't), or maybe it was because I talked to them and tried to get to know them when time allowed (a lot of people are so rude to the staff) but I found the service I received at the hotel to be 5 star. I LOVED the staff. Just remember that big smile and a tiny peso go a long way.
The pool was super clean and huge. Every morning they were hard at work scrubbing it and vacuuming the sand out of it. I swam in it quite a few times, but far preferred the ocean for swimming. The pool does get fairly animated in the afternoon and early evening. But there is a quieter pool a short distance away if you prefer that.
The Beaches on Cayo Coco are nothing short of breathtaking. And the water is so clear, you can see forever underwater. There were tons of loungers on the beach and it was kept very clear of seaweed. I mean the stuff floats ashore on every wave, so you can't expect every single piece of it to get cleaned up right away. I never noticed any garbage on the beach anywhere.
My sister and I are both reformed smokers so neither of us like it at all. But it was never an issue for either of us. You'd see a few butts tossed here and there, but nothing like you read about in some reviews. I never saw a single butt in the pool.
The 'Lagoon'....The Lagoon runs along the whole coast of the island, and it affects all the hotels are built on or around it. Does it stink? Yes. Does it make you wretch? No. Yes you can smell the lagoon on your way to the buffet...for one second. I never smelled it from the 24 hour snack bar, not once. and I was there quite a bit. So yes, the lagoon smells bad, but it is NOT an issue. Seriously NOT an issue.
there is no screen on the patio door and we fell asleep/passed out (lol) with the door open and the following evening we discovered 2 big cockroaches. I killed and flushed them. we never left the door open again, and never saw another one. Since I know that cockroaches live everywhere outside in the Caribbean, I refuse to blame the hotel for critters that I most likely invited in the night before. Our friends just down the hall found a small wall climbing frog in their bathroom, so they never left their door open again either.
So when you read the really negative reviews of the Tryp, take them with a grain of salt. There is a little truth in what they say, but most of it gets extremely exaggerated, and I've read some stuff on here that I swear has to be made up,
I talked to hundreds of people there. Many of them have been there half a dozen times. a lot of them it was their first time. Almost everyone I talked to were enjoying the hotel, and were having a great time. The few who weren't looked like they could afford 5 star super luxury somewhere else, and they should have done everyone else a favor and done that.
I will be returning to the Tryp in the fall with friends.
I miss it already.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 2. it was quiet and peaceful. everything worked.
5 Thank Paul Joseph M
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We consider them very useful. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your first holidays. Hope to meet you here on your nest visit with your friends.

General Manager.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello travelers!!
I have travelled to TRYP three times and have already booked my third visit for two weeks this time in June. I've travelled both with a group of adults and one time with my two year old son and his grandparents. All three trips were great.
Hotel is a short ride from the airport, which is great compared to some other destinations in Cuba. Check in is fairly quick. Rooms are a bit outdated BUT OK - you are not there to sit in the room and stare at old furniture!!!! Who cares?! We were at the beach, which is georgeous, all day long. By the time you come back to your room to sleep - you don't care how old is the furniture in the room cause you are very tired after a long day! One comment regarding the previous reviewer complaint about BLENDERS - this is the GAYEST comment ever. People who complain about the stupidest things like this should just stay home! Anyhow, food is great, especially at the a la carte restaurants. Entertainment is great both for small children and adults. Me and my son have a routine to go around the resort early morning and feed "the stock": flamingoes, chicken and chicks, cats, turtle, birds etc. People, please, do not listen to reviewers with "BLENDERS OR outdated ROOM". People at the resort at restaurants and service are great and go out of their way to make you feel at home. Yes, there is a smell beside the main buffet but I learnt not to notice it. It all depends on your attitude to things. Disco at night is good. They also have a train going to the cave disco at around 11pm. Overall, resort is great. I've been to Dominican, Maxico, Egypt, to 5 star resorts but for some reason I keep returning to TRYP. Please email me if anyone has any question! Have a great time at TRYP!

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank Kate S
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments, they are very helpful. We will see you in June. Hope that you enjoy as always.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We had a great time here. Tryp is by far the best value you'll get at any resort in Cuba. The beaches were clean and the food was great.

Room Tip: Block 9 was nice and quiet.
1 Thank torontoandres
Dear Guest.

It is nice to know that our Hotel is your favorite for your family. Hope to meet you again here.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We just returned this past weekend from Tryp Cayo Coco. I found this resort to be clean and full of friendly staff. I also loved the bach! It was awsome

Room Tip: If travelling with family make sure you are not near the entertainment! It can be loud for small chi...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. Hope to meet you here again.

mississauga ont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

this was my 5th time at the tryp we know the manager Alberto the asst manager Ricardo , geroge and willaiam and the girls in the customer service ,Sandra the hair dresser have made many friends at this hotel between the waiters,waitresses, when they see you the remember you they welcome you .Lorenzo the head of the Italian resteraunt is great . we always have our rooms around the quiet pool building 11 on the second floor 1140,1138,1139, 1136 these rooms are great clean and everything works good .and our made ada she is a gem .i cant say enough of the hotel ive always been treated good and the food service and help is always good.looking forward to going back i have a room all by myself air works good but i shut it off at night .omar the beach man who gets you lounge on the beach he is a good friend and ronnie in the grill for lunch and margie in the grill try to sit in their stations. and the night supper buffet get Eddie has your waiter he is very good and funny

Room Tip: building 11 10 are around the quiet pool which is very nice.one complaint cant stand the jerks w...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bunakins
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and loyalty. It is always a pleasure to receive you here. See you next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#7 of 7 in Oyster Pond
A Peace of Paradise
A Peace of Paradise
#1 of 1 in Praslin Quarter

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!