“Tryp was awesome!”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I had such a great time here it would be a shame if I didn't write about the hotel here. First of all, it's a great hotel, great food (had a lot of variety and there was always an abundance of the food I wanted) and the staff were quite helpful. It wasn't overly loud and noisy, just a great trip overall. The beach was beautiful too. As for the rooms, they were pretty clean and if we were missing anything or needed more towels the staff was there to help us and give us what we needed. I definitely recommend coming here, because as an overall, there wasn't much I could complain about!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mojo29
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Guest,

It is very nice to read your comments. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay here. Thank you for your opinion and recommendation. We hope that you can visit us again.

There are newer reviews for TRYP Cayo Coco

Reviewed 13 April 2012

After saving us from a nightmare holiday at the Cojimar Hotel,The Hotel Tryp once again lived up to expectasions and delivered a fantastic holiday. The staff here are the most friendliest you will ever meet from the General manager Alberto who seems to work tirelessly all day, making sure everything is running smoothly always enquiring if you are ok, to the gardeners of which there are plenty keeping the grounds of the hotel beautiful, you can even get a sun hat for a few pesos that they will make for you. The rooms are being updated gradually so some are a little worn, if you do have any problems they are sorted immediately nothing is too much trouble.
Buffet restaurant has some lovely food, it does get a bit repetitive but the quality is good. A Sushi station was new this year, the evening meals are made all the more enjoyable when you have two lovely waitresses yolaidy and liset who welcome you like your part of their family.
A La Carte restaurants make a lovely change from the buffet.
The Peacocks, chickens with their chicks wander freely around the complex. Theare loads of different types of birds around the hotel. The Tryp is on an unbelievably amazing beach so once again we only used the pool once or twice. The main pool has something going on nearly all the time, the animation team work hard to make your stay a memorable one, if you don't feel like joining in there's a quiet pool. The beach is amazing as part of your stay you get free use of pedalo’s, canoes and snorkel equipment each day. This has got to be THE place to stay in cayo coco. It is so worth the long flight. We stayed in block 14 with a lovely sea view march 24nd to 5th April.
This was our second time here, and certainly won’t be our last.
The General manager Roberto and all his staff do a brilliant Job making you feel welcome.

Room Tip: If You like your morning coffee/tea. Take your own kettle.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your opinion. It has been very nice to find your comments here and to know that you have enjoyed once again your stay. Welcome to our big Tryp Hotel family. Hope to meet you here again very soon.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I spent 7 days at the Tryp resort during March and it turned out to be a wonderful experience.

The buffet breakfast was great, as the chef would cook your meal right in front of you!
For a Cuban resort the whole dining experience really shocked us, because we had only heard bad things before our trip.

The pool was huge and had a great swim up bar that everyone seemed to float to during the lazy afternoons. Lots of chances to socialize with the other guests!

The best part of the whole experience was the Beaches! Although the water was a bit cold, it was well worth it once you jumped in!

We loved just laying out in the sand and enjoying our vacation.

Would definitely recommend this resort to others traveling to Cayo Coco!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Derek C

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and recommendations. Hope to meet you here again.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

There was lots of good and some bad, but overall I was happy with our vacation to the TRYP... This was our first time there and we decided to ignore all of the negative reviews about the hotel and decided that we would have our wedding here.... We also travelled with 29 people!

The Check-In - We waited for about 15 minutes before a friend of mine pulled me aside and told me to go to guest services to check in because we had the free upgraded package which included priority check-in. Gelly helped us as soon as we walked into guest services and she knew who I was right away... She had everything ready for us and was super nice. She made our check in really smooth! Everyone else waited at least half-hour to get their rooms.

The Rooms - Well... We had two rooms. The first was room #118. (All the way at the end of block 1) It was really clean and was freshly renovated. The wedding coordinator had decorated it prior to our arrival, so it was nice and welcoming. The bathroom was nice, and so were the floors. We were happy with the room except it was way too far away from everything... If my husband and I were travelling by ourselves, I would be okay with it, but we have two kids, 3 and 16 months. It was too far for them. The second room we had was not as nice as the upgraded honeymoon suite but we didn't care... We just needed to be closer to everything, so they put us in #1012 (block 10). When I booked our trip 6 months before we left, I asked three times for our group to be put in blocks 5 & 8. We were all put in block 1... I was kinda upset about that, We had a lot of us move rooms, but there were a few people who stuck it out. I don't think the 1st block has been used in a long time either. It smelled so musty and moldy. My dad had a room in the first block, and his toilet seat was black when he got there so he wasn’t too thrilled... My sister-in-law had really bad luck in her room too... Her toilet was fixed 3 times and flooded her room twice. The musty smell in there was incredible. By the time we left, there were at least 6 or 7 of us who has coughs. My mom has since been to the doctor and she has some sort of chest infection, and the doctor said that it's from the mold spores in the room. My son who is 16 months, developed an allergic reaction everytime we were in our room... We soon figured out that it was the comforters on the bed and after we took them off and out of the room, he was great. (Maybe the products used to clean the comforter were too harsh for his skin?) We also had cockroaches two mornings, but we didn't have our door open so I'm hoping they got in from under the door... I know they're common in Cuba but man they are huge!! Get a room off the ground to (hopefully) avoid this! One of the only negative things I have to say about this hotel is the rooms in the first block... They need an overhaul... Big time. I am not a picky person and I am the last person to complain about a room because I don't care what it looks like... I'm just there to sleep and shower. But the rooms that we saw there were in bad shape... They needed to be cleaned properly... Sorry Alberto, everything about your resort is awesome, except the rooms in block 1!

The Staff - The staff at the Tryp are all amazing! (Mostly) The general manager, Alberto came over to me during my wedding reception dinner and asked me how everything was and made sure we were enjoying ourselves. I thought that was really nice of him and we appreciated that we were acknowledged among the hundreds of people there. I always saw him afterwards walking around monitoring things. The wait-staff are all very courteous and if you leave them a couple pesos, they’ll remember you the next time you sit down. The bartenders at the lobby bar were all pretty much rude and favouring those who were waving pesos around… I’d rather walk a little bit and go to the snack bar where the bartenders actually remembered me and were pleasant to deal with, and I would rather give them my pesos! Luisa from La Picua (The restaurant on the beach) was so so nice and I really liked her! She was so friendly to me and my whole family. There were a few others who were really nice to us and I enjoyed being in their company. Jorge, my wedding coordinator was great in making sure my wedding was one to remember. I was a little nervous because the flowers I wanted weren’t available and I couldn’t get anything in my wedding colour (red) so I was kinda disappointed that I couldn’t have the flowers that I wanted but Jorge assured me that they would be beautiful and they absolutely were. The bouquets were beyond all of my expectations and they were just gorgeous. I also requested to do a unity sand ceremony (instead of a unity candle) and he was great in accommodating me for that… (Although he forgot to print the words I wanted them to say during the unity sand!!) I brought the large vase from home and he provided 4 glasses for the different coloured sand. It was beautiful! All in all, I was very happy with the staff!

The Restaurants - I didn’t do any of the a la carte’s except for the Loma Azul (where my wedding reception was.. and the food there was amazing! The head waiter was also super nice and very helpful) I heard that the BBQ restaurant was very good too... I heard from other tripadvisor members that the Barcaza (Pizza restaurant on the beach) was the one to visit and it was soooo good!! Highly recommend trying them!! The buffet was pretty good… a couple items were great, but mostly everything was good. I loved the smoothie bar at breakfast and I wished they offered the smoothies more throughout the day. I’m not a big alcohol drinker, so I would get a couple smoothies to bring with me to the beach. The 24H bar has pretty decent snack food… Ham and cheese sandwiches and the hamburgers were not bad. If you went to the grill beside La Picua you can get fresh grilled hamburgers and hotdogs… The burgers were awesome!.. The dogs… not so much!

The Wedding – We had an amazing wedding! I asked for a location on the beach as close to the ocean as possible! When I was at the airport waiting to go, I discovered there was another bride going to the same resort, getting married on the same day, 2 hours before me… To be honest, I was kind of put off by the idea of someone sharing my day (I’m not a selfish person, but it’s my wedding and for one day it’s all about me, my husband and kids) It worked out okay though because her ceremony was at the gazebo and their reception was on the other side of the resort so we didn’t even see eachother. I’m sure she felt the same way. The flowers were great, the day was beautiful and the reception dinner was delicious. My wedding was perfect!

The Beach – Aaaaah the beach!!!!! Absolutely breathtaking… The water is crystal clear and you can see underwater for miles. The sand is powdery white and so soft! There’s plenty cabanas for shade and lots of loungers. I miss it SO much already!!

The Hotel Grounds/Pool – The grounds are kept immaculate and the gardeners are always trying to give you flowers, hats or little creatures made from palm leaves. Give them a peso or two... They work really hard! The pool was really nice. The kiddie pool was awesome; it’s only maybe a foot deep. Great for babies and my 3 year old loved it too. The regular pool was good too because it had entrances that were only a few inches deep so the kids could get in and out easily. There was the 'quiet pool' behind our block, but we didn't go in it... because it's the 'quiet pool' lol. :)

The Animation Team – These guys did such a phenomenal job and they are all so good at what they do! They get you involved and the nightly shows were quite entertaining! The host of a lot of the shows is Danny and I spoke to him one night after the show... he is a really nice guy and a great mc and entertainer. The whole team are amazing at what they do and they are so talented. They all work really hard!

Excursions - We did a snorkelling trip and that was totally worth it! It was 20 pesos and you went on the glass bottom boat out to a reef and snorkelled with the tropical fish. I had an underwater camera and I got some pretty cool shots, so I would recommend bringing one if you’re going! The guys all did the deep sea fishing trip and they loved every second of it. They said it was totally worth it and they had a blast! I did horseback riding twice. It was so nice to see some of the island that way, and I really enjoyed it. The horses look like they’ve been taken care of and for 10 pesos, it’s totally worth it for the hour that you ride. The horses like bananas, so bring some with you if you go! A few of my friends did the day trip to Moron and they loved the experience. The excursions really are great value for what you get!

Overall, I was really happy with my trip to the Tryp! My wedding was amazing, the staff were great and the resort is beautiful. (minus the rooms in block 1!) Not to mention the absolutely stunning beach!!

Room Tip: Blocks 5 & 8 are closest to everything... Block 10 was really nice (partially renovated?) and st...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank beachbunny011

Dear Guest,

We are very glad knowing that your wedding satisfied your expectation. We sincerely regret the problems that part of your family had during their stay. It would have been very nice to be on time informed to mend any situation. We sincerely hope that you can consider our Hotel to spend your wedding anniversary. For sure we will personally take care of you. Do not hesitate in contacting us in advance. Thank you for your comments. they are very helpful.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Nice hotel, REALLY good food, nice pools. Rooms are a little dated, beaches are very nice staff is excellent! Please tip the people that work there, they really do their best. My only complaint were the S Trip student break kids. They were causing mayhem at the resort, loud, dis-ruptive drunken, stupid behaviour, constant swearing etc. Not sure why they let underage kids get drunk. The S-Trip people say they have their "staff" to make sure the kids behave...not so. There is one person for each 100 students I am sure. They did spoil the trip for many in the resort. It was really out of control. Would I go back, yes IF the roudy kids were not there. I spoke with others on another beach and they used to stay at TRYP and liked it until the students spoiled their trip. Now they go to a diffeent hotel. Would I go back again if the spring break kids were around..NOT a chance. Staff are GREAT by the way.

Room Tip: Take a room as far from the main pool area as possible to have a good sleep
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HoofHearted62

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. It is true we do have students group during March Break and it is very well advertised with our Tour operators. We always do our best to please all our guests even though we have groups of young people here that may be different that when we they are not present in the Hotel. Your comments are very helpful and we hope to meet you at any other time in our Hotel.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Tryp Cayo coco was the very fist all inclusive resort i went too. the resort is outdated, the bathrooms were not that impressive. the food was quite good.. expected worse. the entertainment staff was excellent. the kids had a blast. the beach was awesome.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank saimam

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. Hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Sorry, not a happy one this time. We travelled a lot (usually twice a year Panama, Bahamas, Cuba, Dominican, Paris, New York, Europe or taking cruises). Me, my husband and our 17 year old daughter went to Tryp 8 years ago the first time and loved it. This year April 3 to 10 we decieded to go back and booked it thru Itravel 2000. We arrived in the evening and could not sleep due to drunk youngsters screaming and splashing in the pool in the middle of the night (the room was facing the main pool, lobby and bar). Went at 3 am in the morning begging for a quieter room. My husband got a key from reception and could not open replacement room, went back and it turned out electrician needed to take care of this issue which took another couple of hours. By 5 am my husband finally opened the second room (electrician was adamant to leave and was waiting for tips). Next day we moved in. The room had heavy moldy smell with condenstation dripping from a/c unit. In the middle of the night we discovered lots of cochroaches in the bathroom. They were noted under the towels in the bathroom and even inside the plastic bags with our belongings left on bathroom countertops(toothbrushes, toothpaste,etc). I was totally disgusted and started hiding all toothbrushes in the suitcase. The food was similar to the food anywhere else in Cuba but the cleanliness of plates, cups leaved much to be desired. On the third day the toilet flex hose developed a leak. We informed guest survice, maid and they said it would be fixed right away. In 24 hours and after our fourth reminder they finally sent somebody over to repair it. Again, we were asked for money. The guy started explaining us he was trying to also fix half plugged sink ( i forgot even to mention it). It was not the end. I got sick and was put on antibiotics( due to a sore throat).But my daughter was a different story demonstrating the true cleanliness of the hotel. My daughter got severly sick because of food poisioning (never happened before) and was put on different medications and IV, and was sick for 2 days straight. We strongly belived that the quality of hotel went considerably down compared to 8 years ago. We usually don't sweat the small stuff, but this time the vacation was a dreaded one. I understand that cochroaches are everywhere in the Carabbean but at Tryp you can see them even in the main bar esspresso machine. Despite the horrible hotel and slow guest service, the beach at Cayo Coco is amazing.

Room Tip: If you need your vacation quiet take blocks 12,14.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Luv2travel1990

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We sincerely regret that you have had such a bad experience. It would have been very nice for us to be aware of it during your stay to make our effort to mend the whole situation. We hope you are already recovery of health but you can not assure your daughter developed a food poisoning but travelers stomach disorders which is very common when people change their habits. We sincerely hope you might reconsider a new visit to our resort. If so we will be at your disposal anytime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
1.7 km away
Sol Cayo Coco
Sol Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!