“heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
“heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

The staff at the hotel are lovely and very professional. The manager was asking for feedback which I've never had before at any other hotel. The staff work very hard and they all seem to enjoy working there. The hotel is spotless. The rooms are o.k. they could do with a lick of paint and a new bathroom, but as we were never in the room it didnt bother us. The food is great with lots of choice includeing a oriental,italian, cuban, BBQ and the main buffett. If your going try and stick it the same row where you sit for food in the buffet as the staff get to know you and look after you. The beach is breath taking it is the cleanest most heaven beach i've ever been on, the pools at the hotel were good and didnt get too busy but then with a 5 star beach most people were down there. We went on the day trip to Moron and a sugar cane factory with a quick look in a cigar factory and a trip on a speed boat . A great day out i would recommend it. The only niggeling thing is getting served at the bar ar night they have a lot of bar stools which get in the way and because there is no queue is its pot luck how quick you get a drink. They kept running out of glasses so you get horrible plastic cups, the canadians have it right and take there own huge flasks that will hold a decent pint. we loved this hotel and will be going back

Room Tip: we were in 970 very near the beach ( u could see it ) you couldnt hear the nightclub so perfect
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Janet R
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your dedication to write your feedback here. We will take advantage of your comments for continue working hard. Thank you very much.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,266)
Shelburne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Tryp Cayo Coco from April 12 to April 19, 2012.

The staff were wonderful - helpful, a pleasure to talk to, and professional. It was the people at Tryp that I enjoyed most. They made our vacation perfect. The housekeeping staff, food preparation workers, host/hostesses, front desk staff, guest services, shop staff..... simply everyone. No complaints at all.

The food was excellent. With several restaurants to choose from - an extensive variety of food - something for everyone. I was very concerned about the food before arriving, as I have a serious health condition, but as it turned out, the quality of food was so good and given the variety of food to choose from, I had no problems at all. The food was delicious and fresh, and the staff, when asked, would prepare the food just as requested - and with a smile.

We enjoyed professional, talented, friendly, and beautiful entertainers who made our evenings special - the performances were great. I really enjoyed Charlie Chaplin, the choreography and the lovely costumes. Every one of the performers were so well trained. My husband and I looked forward to each evening's performance. We liked all the themes, and the children's shows were great for the kids, and adults. We really enjoyed the music. The DJ was excellent. I wish I had bought the DVD of the shows, but we ran out of time to stop by and pick one up.

The beach was great. The water is crystal clear. One day there was a lot of seaweed from rough seas and it was cleared promptly. One recommendation would be to improve the shade/coverage from the sun. There should have been more palms on the roofs of the cabanas.

Tryp is a lively place, with many activities to choose from and for you to decide what is best suited to your age, abilities and interests. I've been to many places in the world, stayed at first class accommodation to low end, and for me, Tryp is one of the best places I've vacationed for the value, and I attribute that mainly due to the staff at Tryp.

The stress melted away as the days passed.
Many thanks to all the staff at Tryp who made beautiful memories for my husband and I.

If I make it through my illness, I'll most definitely be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in "9 Block", located a very close walk from the main atrium, pool, and stage. T...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SnowOnFire
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad knowing that you fully enjoyed your stay and that you are happy with the services that you received from our staff. Hope that you can visit us again.

Westville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Returned for the second time on March29th to April12th with a group of family and friends . The resort is still beautiful . Rooms are starting to show ware but renavations have started but it takes longer in Cuba becauses of limited resources and equipment .But everything was clean and the maids and cleaning staff work hard . Regarding tips don't forget the cleaning staff inthe beach resturant. One day I witnessed one helping an elderly lady( who was quite upset about soiling herself ) with such compassion I was very touched . A few days later I gave here a tip and she was speechless later in the days as I was going to the washroom she approched me and thanked me for noticing her and how good she did her work she said it made her fell good.These people are the ones who seldom get noticed so think about tipping them sometimes . The nightly entertainment on the resort has greatly improved a credit to them all. One day we noticed the Manager having the music at the pool turned down this was welcomed by a great many. You(manager) are a credit to this resort you are seen through out the day checking on every detail no matter how small congradulation on a job well done. The buffet offers a wide variety of dishes to chose from, the best food I have found in Cuba. The international , asian and Cuban a la cartes are good as is the beach resturant but for a change try the buffet at lunch time . A dress code is being inforced now at the a la cartes so men take long pants and closed toed shoes or sandles and shirts with sleeves the shirts must also be worn at the buffet for dinner.On the second week of our stay I required the services of the Doctor and Nurse for a severe ear infection . The treatment and care I recieved from the two women was exception our health care workers in Canada could take some lessons from these Professional compassionate ladies. The cost was about $130. dollars which included seeing the doctor 4 times and the nurse 6 times including three prescriptions. I would not even try to guess how many hundreds of dollars it would cost in Canada makes you wonder doesn,t it . The only problem we had was my friend forgot his camera on a table in the upstairs bar area for about 5 minutes went he returned to fined it gone . Some of the bartenders started looking for it but to no avail, several staff members as the days went by would ask if he found there concern was touching . To the person who took it if you break a leg my friends wish came true the camera was replaceable the pictures are not.Hopefully we will get a chance to return to this resort but not in March when the Canadian kids take it over . There behavior is terrible in Canada it would no be tolerated maybe a threat of being put off the resort would calm them down. Don't worry about them not returning because it the price , sun , beach and rum they come for. To the people we meet from Manitoba, England and Ontario happy travel and hope we meet again

Room Tip: This is agood size resort so if you have problems walking try to get net the main pool. There is a r...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank oldboot_12
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time writing your opinion about your stay in our Hotel. It is very nice to know that you will return again. Hope to meet you here then.

Best regards,

uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed there for last two weeks of February.

Good points –
• Food in buffet very good, although could do with a few more labels so we know what we are eating. Food very nicely presented. Great variety.
• Maintenance staff excellent. Maids reported the fridge not working and it was replaced within a few hours. A light bulb went and replaced in no time. Also a follow up phone call to check all was working.
• Maids were good. Maintenance man hovered outside the room the day we were leaving. We think to collect the tip we were leaving as there was no maintenance to be done!
• Gardens were delightful and so were the gardeners. Always willing to have a chat and full of smiles and waves and made little creatures for you. We had a grasshopper, a flower and a fish.
• Chinese restaurant very good but white wine awful! Italian not very good and the Cuban was really, really disappointing, in fact we didn’t eat it.
• Hotel clean
• Rooms basic and not really 4* but were ok. Bathrooms need updating but perfectly serviceable and you don’t spend much time in there. Bedding worn but clean.
• Beach was lovely. Able to watch pelicans fishing in amongst swimmers. Water very clear but not always that warm. Beach attendants very good.
• They did an English evening which was lovely and the food very good.
• All roast meat excellent especially the pork and crackling!
• Pool for flamingos very relaxing, could just do with better seating around it.
• Chap in charge of pedalos very jolly with a good sense of humour.
• Lovely walk along beach to sister hotel. In fact thought we preferred that hotel.

Bad points

• Staff miserable apart from Ricardo and Allen in 24 hour bar, who were fabulous. With others you got a smile if you had a coin in your hand, particularly at the pool bar (he didn't serve you unless you had one)!
• Buffet dining room not always cleared as quickly as it could be. One waiter left the table with two glasses of wine on it and said people were sitting there but they weren’t!
• Foul smelling pond between 24hr bar and buffet. Really bad and must attract mosquitoes.
• Bar loos not replenished on Sundays – well not until very late.
• Music so loud you cannot hear yourself think. Also, pool music and stage music competing with each other.
• Every night the Birdie Song as the children do something on stage.
• Salsa can only be danced to one piece of music it would appear.
• Massage a bit of a waste of time, just not very good.
• Scrabble for a sun bed around the pool every morning – towels put out at ?dawn!
• No loo near quiet pool
• Reception staff very welcoming on arrival but after that quite rude.
• Seating around bar upstairs meant it was difficult to get served.
• The hotel is on an island so very isolated. I wanted to see Cuba and only way to do so was to go on a trip.
• Full of Canadians so avoid the Canadian’s university holidays.
• Had to see the doctor and she didn’t ask about any medication I was taking and just prescribed some pills for the gnat and mossie bites. Make sure you know your tablets in Spanish, (or any condition you may have) before you go. Also had to push quite hard for a receipt.
• Pharmacist very keen to push you into the doctor so take all the creams and pills you can think of to save a bit.
On the whole, not a true 4* hotel but if you are going as a family there is lots to do and they work hard at entertaining you. There is pool, petanque, tennis, sailing, aqua fitness, zumba, salsa lessons, a gym, pedaloes, children’s entertainment etc. It is good value for money if you don’t mind Butlins in the sun but definitely, definitely not as bad as the tv Benidorm!!! Would I go back, resounding no, sorry. I like happy people when I go on holiday!

Room Tip: Rooms over by the flamingo pond are quite quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Faith C
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. They are very helpful for us. We sincerely apologies for the expectation that we were not able to fulfilled and that depend on our Hotel. We will sincerely take advantage of the negative points to continue working for improvements.

Sinecrely,

Halifax NS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Myself and 2 female friends stayed at the TRYP from April 14 to the 21st to celebrate upcoming milestone birthdays. I read MANY reviews about the TRYP and I was excited to visit it myself and I was not disappointed.

Arrival at the airport went smoothly and we were escorted to the hotel on a motorcoach that I did not expect to see in Cuba. The bus was lovely with a/c and beers for sale. Once we arrived at the hotel our luggage was removed from the bus by staff and placed in an area with the other arrivals. We then got in line to check in. This was done at a separate area in the lobby. Luckily our room was ready immediately! Many others had to wait until 4 to check in. Having not done their research many people were upset by this and expressed their displeasure creating an uncomfortable atmosphere. The staff did their best however giving them facilities to change into swimsuits and directing them to the bar. We left the other guests to collect our bags and met Amaury who offered to take all our luggage to our rooms. We were very pleased with this since they were none to light.

Our room was exactly as I had expected it to be. Yes it has been enjoyed by previous guests and did have a slightly musty smell but it served it's purpose. The A/C was always cold, the water always hot and everthing kept clean. The only disappointment was a lack of towel animals. Our maid did not make any during our stay. The other item about our room was the volume of the entertainment at night. While it didn't bother me b/c it meant our room was close to the action, one of my travelling companions fell ill with a cold during the trip and found it difficult to rest. If you want a quiet room try buildings 10 and 11, not 4.

The beach at the resort was absolutely gorgeous. The sand is so fine and the water so blue. Unfortunately there were a number of days during our stay that the red flag flew due to wind however that didn't stop us Canadian girls from playing in the ocean. The waves were high but we had fun. Once the surf calmed later in the week we snorkelled in the waters off the beach and found a small reef with a number of different varities of fish around it. We never had a problem finding beach chairs and often had help getting them situated on the beach. The pizza restaurant just off the beach, La Barcaza, was delicious. We ate their twice for lunch and would have loved to ate there more. The other restaurant near the beach left little to be desired. The service was slow, the gravy on my poutine cold and the drinking water warm. I would have rather just gone for pizza!

The a la carte restaurants which we tried were: La Loma Azul (International) La Trattoria (Italian) and the BBQ Patio. My fav was the bbq however one of the other girls loved the International. At each restaurant there were so many menu options and I always found something I liked even though I do not enjoy seafood. One tip: If you do head to the bbq bring bug spray. This was the only time on the trip we encountered any kind of bugs.

The buffet restaurant was very good. We did have trouble finding seating one day when we headed late to breakfast but other than that we did ok. The food was varied and fresh. The highlights of the buffet were the fresh bread and pastry (amazing), the crepe station at breakfast and the pasta and stir fry stations at supper. Lunch was good however I would once again have preferred the pizza place. Remember to tip your waiter at the buffet or you may not get the best service if you sit in the same area everyday.

The pools at the resort are very nice, however getting a chair at the pool can be very difficult if it is a red flag day at the beach. We spent our first afternoon at the quiet pool. It was relaxing however I was disappointed that there was only one way in and out of the pool. Perhaps they could install a second ladder for entry and exit as the pool is large enough to merit it. The bar however at the quiet pool was good, serving up yellow slushy drinks that were delicious. The main pool was wonderful. It had several areas where you could walk in and out. It also had the swim-up bar. It was so much fun! We spent an afternoon there drinking and chatting with the other guests. Santiago, the bartender made sure our glasses were never empty, something that would haunt me later that night!

The grounds at the resort were so pretty. We visited the Flamingo pond often and made friends with many of the gardeners. They were always ready with a hibiscus flower for each of us and we gave them many gifts from Canada which they graciously accepted.

Make sure you head to Playa Pilar during your stay at the TRYP. To do so you just grab the double decker bus outside the hotel for only 5 pesos. The drive takes about an hour but it is worth it. The beach was so beautiful, there were plenty of beach chairs and the water was calm. We forgot our snorkel gear however we did see fish jumping during our time there. We also took in the Ciego de Avila city tour and the boat adventure. Both were a great time.

As for the reports of the SMELL on here I think it is greatly exagerated. Yes there was an odor on warmer days near the Buffet however it was never overpowering. In fact it reminded my friends and I of an odor that sometimes is present in NS in the summer around our swampy areas. Therefore it did not bother us during our stay. In fact we may have only noted it's presence because of the all the reviews that mention it on here.

In regards to the reviewer that mentioned a lack of blenders the resort is not blender free. I was very glad to find this as I was worried about this before we left. There is a blender at the lobby bar and there are frozen drinks around the resorts at the pool bars as well as the beach bars. No lack of daiquiris and margaritas :)

So if you want to have a good time at a great value in a beautiful place choose the TRYP. If you want to spend your vacation in your room maybe you should go elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank LizS82
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your opinion, your comments are very helpful. Hope to meet you here on your next trip.

Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I travelled with another couple and spent a week at the TRYP from April 12th-19th, 2012. The grounds are very well kept and the staff are friendly. The beach is beautiful and the water is a perfect clear blue. You are never far from anything, at the most a 10 minute walk to the lobby from the farthest building. I found this location to be windy and the water was too rough for snorkelling on 5 of the 7 days I was there. Seaweed does build up on the beach, they rake it regular and sometimes groom it with a tractor. If you are a non-smoker, you may have to dodge the pollution clouds when you choose a place to sit. I have friends who smoke, and most smokers are respectful and would never smoke while others around them are eating, but there were a few that would light up anywhere. A guy lit up in the line for fried eggs right at the buffet. I think the resort should designate at least one location for non-smokers.

The rooms are very basic, 20" CRT T.V., and there is nothing fancy about the furniture. You get a small balcony or terrace, a good spot to read and take in the Carribean air. The rooms are a bit tired looking, but overall they were clean. The floor always seemed to be a bit dirty, even after it was mopped by the maid. The beds are a bit hard, but not uncomfortable, no one in our group had trouble sleeping on the beds. There are no bathroom fans, but most of the rooms have a small screened window that will allow you to vent to the outside. Our room unfortunately did not have a window in the bathroom and we had a strong musty odour for most of our stay. Our travel partners had a window in their bathroom and they had no issues with smell or dampness at all. The window in the bathroom does make a difference. We didn't let this deter us from having a good time, we weren't in the room very much anyway, other than to sleep or change from beach wear to dry clothes. Keep in mind that the resort is renovating and the room we had was not an updated room. There were no issues with hot water or water pressure. The resort is on 220V electrical system and there is one electrical outlet in the bathroom that is compatible with North American style plug ins. As long as your device clearly says on the plug in adapter 100v-240v, you can use the outlet. We used it to charge up our camera's, phones, and e-readers with no issue. The fridge is not stocked unless you pay an extra $30 pesos. We didn't bother paying extra, go to the store and get a few beer for $1 each and coke for $2. It's way cheaper than paying the stocking fee. You get one 1.5 Litre bottle of water per room per day, use it wisely. The room comes with a safe at no extra charge. If you lose the key you will have to pay to replace it.

RESTAURANTS-
Loma Azul-(International) Great food and awesome service
La Trattoria -(Italien) Food under cooked, service a step below others we ate at
Suzhou-(Oriental) Awesome food, great dessert, and best service of them all
BBQ Grill-(BBQ) Open air restaurant. The steak and service were excellent
La Barcaza-(Pizza Bar) Pizza was good, there would be long line ups to get a seat at lunch time and service was slower when busy. It was a great spot if you wanted to walk-in from the beach barefoot in your swim trunks and get a beer.

Los Taguascos-(Buffet)-I wasn't expecting much for food on a Cuban vacation, the buffet at the Tryp was a pleasant surprise. Lot's too choose from, fresh eggs, stir-fry, or pasta if you like (may have a short wait in line occasionally). Cuban ketchup is awful, I brought my own and I could have sold it many times over during my stay. Eggs, chicken, and pork all taste similar to home. You can tell it's a bit off, but nothing unpleasant. If you like bacon, you'll probably take a pass, it's never crispy, most times under cooked, and full of fat. There's something for everyone at the buffet and nobody went hungry during our stay.

If you want to take a tour of the area, the town of Moron is about a 45 minute drive across the causeway from the resort. We hired a taxi for $80 Pesos between us and he took us where we wanted to go. You can do the official tour through the resort, it's $75 pesos per person, the taxi fare can be divided by your group for better deal. You'll see the same stuff in half the time of the official tour, but it will be on your schedule and not a tour schedule. Check out the crocodile farm outside of Moron if you decide to head that way. The horseback ride was ok for $10 pesos, the beach part was great, but getting to the beach was like riding through an abandoned construction zone. There were old tires, rusty pipes, concrete piles, and other debris along the trail. If you do decide to go hoseback riding, I would suggest the shortest ride which is about 45 minutes. You only be at the beach for 10 minutes anyway, it's hardly worth the extra funds for the longer ride through a minefield of debris.

The Entertainment was amatuer at best, almost the same thing every night. They could really use a couple of new cd's that were at least popular in the last 20 years.There were two nights where they brought in live singers to the lobby bar for a more pleasant atmosphere, but they would pack it in early so the resort could get their Micheal Jacskon "THRILLER" and Celion Dion "DANCE MIX" quota in before 10:00pm. There always seemed to be somebody yelling through a microphone between 10:00am and 10:00pm around the main pool and lobby area. After a few days it just seemed like a racket more than anything else. If you are looking for a quiet area, get a building away from the main pool. Buildings # 1, 2, 3, 10, 11 ,12, and 14 would be the lodging most sheltered from the noise. For those who want in on the party pool action, buildings # 6, 7, or 9 would be a good choice for you. Buildings #5, and 8 are 50/50 depending on which end you are staying at. They also do a Minnie Mouse show for kids at 8:30pm every night, it's fun for the kids, the routine does get old after a week. They do have a disco, my wife and I went in one night to dance for a bit. My only complaint here is they don't start until after 11:00pm and kids are allowed in, I almost tripped over one while doing the "WOBBLY CHICKEN"!!!!!

I didn't find that there was pressure to tip, I tipped when I felt the service was great, and there where times I would go back to the bar for another cold one without tipping and I got the same service as when I did leave a tip. The maid did a poor job on my room one morning and I left her half what I usually did, and she improved her cleaning the following day. When you are tipping, just remember.....the bartenders and maids do very well, the gardeners and maintenance guys don't get very many tips. I would tip a gardener if I saw he was working hard in the hot sun, they would be very thankful and always say "GOOD MORNING" if you were walking by. Don't be in a rush to exchange your money at the airport, the hotel has a better rate. They do have internet at the resort. It's $3 pesos for 30 minutes and very slow. It's Good enough to check email and facebook, but it's not good enough to check sports scores.

I brought my Deep Woods Off with me but I didn't use it once. I didn't see any mosquito's my entire vacation. The staff will tell you they will come out after a heavy rain, generally they are not a problem. I did see one roach in my room over the week. It was big enough to rape a rat and moved very fast. It was too quick and I couldn't whack it with my sandal. I always carry a can of raid while travelling south to spray the gaps under the doors and door frames. I hosed down the area where the roach was hiding with Raid and he finally tapped out by morning, barely alive upside down by the toilet. I used a lot of Raid for one bug.....Roaches are tough!!! If you choose to travel to the Tryp and aren't bothered by little stuff, and don't have a picky personality, you will enjoy it. The staff are very friendly and you won't be hounded by salesman trying to push timeshares or other crap on you. Overall we had a good vacation at the Tryp and I would return to this location in the future. Next time I'll try for a renovated room or a suite.

Room Tip: Make sure the bathroom has a small vented window to the outside or your room will be damp and have a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CommanderRyker
Dear guest,

We sincerely consider your comments very useful. They help us very much to take advantage of them for improvements and a lot of information for everybody. Thank you for your time and opinion. Feel free to contact us for your next stay. Hope to meet you here then.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at the Tryp at the end of March with our daughters, who are 2 and 5 years old.

I went through multiple reviews before choosing the Tryp. We were used to travel in 4 stars + hotels in Cuba and Mexico, before we had kids.

I have to say that I would not hesitate to go back to the Tryp. It's true that the rooms are due for some renovations, but are kept clean. The service is excellent overall, very friendly people! We appreciated the large pools with shallower sections where we could play with the girls without danger.

The beach is nice too, it's windy though sometimes! For those worrying about the stagnant water underneath the lobby, it' not that bad. I looks ugly but doesn't smell that much. Nothing to ruin your trip, and you're not going to smell it as you eat, don't worry!

I read complaints about the food. I need to say that I've been surprised by the diversity and quality. Looks and tastes like a 4 stars + buffet to me! Unless you have very picky when it comes to food, you will be more than ok!

For those wanting to buy cigars, there is a selection at the hotel that are sold at the same price as everywhere in Cuba. For those wanting more, there is a Casa del Habanos shop at the Blau Colonial hotel located 10 minutes (walk) away from the Tryp. Arriving on the beach, make a left and walk! You will find it pretty easily although I needed to search for la Casa a little!

So if you are looking for a nice place to stay and enjoy the weather, without needing luxurious rooms, the Tryp is a nice place!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Gilbertphoto
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, we consider them very helpful. Hope to meet you here on your next trip.

Best regards,

Sol Cayo Coco
Sol Cayo Coco
#4 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,918 reviews

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!