“Hotel Colonial”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This was my first time in Cuba, stayed for 8 days, October 27th to November 4th, 2012. Loved it. Such a beautiful place, the beach was awesome even after Sandy.
All staff were extremely nice, respectful and fun. They work very hard and long hours, but they're always smiling and giving you good service and they never ask for anything. Except for the manager; our flight was delayed and we had to stay overnight, he did not want to accomodate us by exchanging a few $$. But 2 frenchmen helped me out, so everything was ok!
Our room was always clean, they brought us cola, water, soap, clean towels everyday.
Food A la carte was pretty good, buffet was ok, however if you want something good make reservation with the front desk guy for a huge lobster!!! Loby bar has the best coffee's.This hotel is 3/4 Star, you get a good price so don't expect a boring 5 Star. I'm not a fan of big hotels, full of noisy tourists. I'm not old or boring just like real people. Not a place to party but you defenitly can:)
For an excellent meal you have to go to playa Prohobida (like bicycleman_8 said) OMG this was my favorite place, I had the best lobster, shrimps and fish of my life!! There is a guitar guy (forgot his name:( ) that should be making a lot of money down there. He sang and talked to us just like we were friends and never looked at us like; oh those french tourist! There is also a little black cat and a cute dog that come to greet you,,,,,,,so nice.
Would go back.

10  Thank valerie l
There are newer reviews for Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco

Reviewed 9 November 2012

First off I have stayed at this resort before , last year for a few days and 12 years ago when it was still a part of Tryp.
I have visited many times every time I go to Cayo Coco but only for brief periods to see someone or buy cigars at the best place in the Cayo's to do so.
So we arrived for our 11 day visit on Sat after Sandy had passed thru and were immediately ripped off at the airport Cadeca for an extra 6% on exchange so nothing new there !!
We always have a car so didn't have to deal with the bus and as I was arguing with Aduana over how much duty I would pay on stuff I brought for the hurricane victims my buddy got a few beers and loaded the car , by the way they may try and charge $3 CUC for a beer tell them NO you'll pay $2 ( we had a driver by the way )
So check in went smooth and we were given rooms that we had requested in bld 31 on the ground floor which were perfect for us. We parked the car by the pink tower and had a short walk to our rooms.
Great set up with the patio and a few chairs facing the ocean , I took a small table from the room out and spent a fair bit of time out there reading or just gazing!
The room itself was large and bathroom was also large and everything worked and no complaints in this area at all. The fridge had a cola , beer and large water which was replenished each day.
There were not many guests so the evening meal was in the buffet and al a carte on alternating nights and we had no complaints about the food at all , good variety at the buffet at all meals and al a carte's were fine ( actually really good )
We don't spend a lot of time on the resort but did hang around a bit and found the service at the bars to be excellent and the grounds well kept. I did notice the lack of workers hounding you to buy stuff or " give " you hand made hats and all the usual crap. jejeje
The new manager seems to have the respect of the staff unlike the last one and he can be seen often walking around the resort checking on things and enquiring about your stay.
The front desk staff here are amazing and deserve a special mention as they really go out of their way to help as does the PR staff , good job !!!!
There was a mixed bag of guests staying there at the same time and all seemed to be enjoying themselves. This is NOT a party resort although you can party.
All in all we had a very good stay at the Colonial and would have no problem recommending it to friends or family.
The beach is WAY better than Tryp next door as at high tide the water is right into the palapas.
Any questions feel free to message me.
Also a MUST side trip to Playa Prohibida only a few km's down the road for some great live entertainment and fresh lobster or fish lunch and you can even use their equip to try your hand at some shore fishing !

Room Tip: Prefer the 30's blocks away from the action and close to the beach. 31 & 33 beach view 32 on...
13  Thank bicycleman_8
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Just returned from hotel Colonial on October 30th. This was our 11th time at this hotel so we know it well. We know most of the staff and as typical Cuban form they treat us like we are family. Since being managed by Cubanacan they have now adopted a quality control system that is consistent with all world wide resorts. For the most part it is starting to show. The buildings and grounds are being kept up and recent inprovements such as the rebuilt freshwater pool is quite impressive. They actually tiled the pool and decks so NO more peeling paint that was evident in the past. They are currently re-building the main square "Placida Bar" and it should be open very soon. It is very impressive and repeat clients will be surprised by the improvement. Even though we were there in off season with only 50 other guests, it felt like our own private place. No line ups and chaos like the Tryp hotel next door. The food selections and quality was vastly improved from other years. We even had a Xmas style turkey and smoked ham that was as good as home. The buffet offered a separate fresh fish grill as well as a pasta bar where the chefs would cook to order. There was always a good selection of vegetables and fresh fruit and salads. They even opened the Churio bar for us! (I call them BeaverTail type donuts).
The entertainment show dancers are in my view "world class". We always enjoy the house band "NUCAY" and the young flautist Arletys. You can see them perform on You Tube by searching NUCAY. Joel, the bar tender at the piano bar, has been there forever and makes the best cocktails. Liber at the Lobby bar will always entertain you with his wit and humour.

Even though the ocean was showing the effects of Hurricane Sandy, the beach was cleaned up promplty and was the best place to be as we walked and compared all the way to hotel Melia. We noticed some clients from the neighbouring hotel would use the Colonial beach as it was so much cleaner and less congested. The lifeguards may even save you a soft beach chair if you get to know them. There is no shortage of beach lounge chairs so no need to get there early. We are accustomed to tipping modestly and always bring a suitcase of practical things for our many friends. They pay us back tenfold with sincere appreciaton. If you have the opportunity to visit their town or their home, you will understand what I mean. If you are bringing gifts make sure you ask at the public relations desk for a gift "form" that you include with your gift as the control may confiscate it from your intended recipient when they leave to go home.
As with many other posts on this site... the Colonial is NOT a five star hotel but the service IS. There will always be glitches with certain rooms as maintenance is on-going. The good out weighs any inconveniences. The staff will go out of their way to make your stay memorable. Get to know them. It is a safe resort for families and a safe resort for single women of any age. It is not a huge party place for young people especially in the shoulder season. They seem to go next door to the Tryp hotel. We will go back again in the off season... without hesitation.

Room Tip: We choose building 32 over ocean view. Has sunny balcony in late afternoon and overlooks pool. Groun...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank love2fly_12
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I just returned from one week stay at the resort.The food was very good,all the staff were professional and helpful. The accommodation was good and the salt and fresh water pools were clean and enjoyable.The nightly entertainment featuring professional dancers was a big hit. I spent many hours at the ocean beach,where water craft are available for the guests. I plan to return in March, 2013.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
11  Thank Wayne G
Reviewed 15 October 2012

stayed at the colonial for one week and had a wonderful time. the place is looking beautiful the service was excellent. after the chaos in the summer the hotel is ready to go for the winter in my mind. as the week progressed more and more canadians arrived and some were a little nervous after the negative reviews of the summer, but all seemed pleasantly surprised.
the dancers were spectacular and the beach and pools were clean and lovely. the one thing i noticed from the last time i was there was the selection of alcohol is much improved. all the children at the resort had a great time and of course are loved by the cubans.
would i go back? absolutely.would i recommend it? absolutely without hesitation.

12  Thank plaminek
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Please read this review before even considering this resort!. ... My husband, daugher, and I travel at least twice a year. Last yr we decided to stay at the blau due to low cost of $$$ for a two week vacation. I cant stress enough how gross this hotel is, lighting is bad through walkways, we saw a dead rat on the walkway to buffet room, never windex the glass outside or inside restaurants, horse crap on the dead grass at beachfront , plastic cups and broken wires inside pool, mildew on walls of pool , colour of water was discusting, awful smell throughout the whole resort. oh and my husband killed 2 cockroaches in our room with a large broom, broken glass on the stairs that doesnt get cleaned up by cleaning ladies.

we couldnt get over how the buffet room was covered in cobwebs over the food, in the light fixtures, and the ladies there never came over to give us water, juice, pop !! they look at you and once you look over at them they turned away as tho your not ever there. \we were sooo tired of playing those games with them we just got up and helped ourself at their bar stands. food selection was bad, entertainment was brutal. place was totally run down. and yes there are tons of locals there. oh and dont forget about the bats over the lobby coming out at night.
also the beach is always full of sea weed and the garbage pails dont get cleaned out. The locals come down with theyre cars and park there and join the croud (which aint much vacationers) mostly locals... you could even smell diapers on the beach wind breezes... UGGHHHH

We booked two weeks here and left by the 6th morning. Got in a cab and drove over next door to Tryp hotel. Wow a totally different world from the moment you walk in the lobby. We had stayed at the Tryp once before so we wanted to try somewhere else new. On our last day my husband and I decided to walk down the beach over to the blau just to see if they'd possibly picked up the dead rat, cleaned up the horse crap on walkways , cleaned garbage pails full of diapers and cleaned the glass doors and windows.... NOOOOOOOOOO not a thing has changed. I come to this site and read today ( one yr later) people are stilll complaining about the exact same things we went through.. What a total joke... worst vacation we've ever had until we got to TRYP .. they we were in paradise...... I hope this review is taken totally serious. Save your money !!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
15  Thank nicebuns1969_
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at what was then called the Blau Colonial in March 2012. I'm somewhat late writing the review but here goes anyway.

Check In: very unorganized and had to wait for quite a while. Of course the pushy french Canadians that barge in ahead of you don't help matters any. Once we were given our room package we were told which general direction our room was located in and sent on our way with our luggage. It wouldn't have been as bad had it not been late in the evening and was completely dark. Anyone that has been there can attest that the path's are not lit up and in very ill repair. We did find our room eventually and was happy with the location and size of the room. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and were able to leave the door open the first few nights to listen to the ocean. It cooled off quite a bit in the evenings at the start of our vacation.

Food: We were not impressed with the buffet, nor any of the a la carte restaurants. I believe that they try very hard and are limited with their meat/produce but my name for any attempt at cooking chicken was "flip flop chicken" as that is what you felt like you were trying to eat. The snack bar by the salt water pool and the snack bar by the lobby were your best bet. The buffet at the larger pool was a joke to try and get food at. One day we waited over 2 hours to get a single size pizza. We met another couple while we were waiting and it became quite a joke to see how long we would have to wait for any food.

Service: Service seemed to be hit and miss. Some servers treated you like you were a giant pain while others were friendly. I guess that is to be expected everywhere.

We went to the spa which is close to the resort, I can't remember the name of it. Had an amazing massage and spa treatments. We also had a free 30 minute massage at the resort (through Nolitours) which was amazing.

Overall we had the feeling that this would have been a nice hotel in it's day. It seems to be very run down and had just gotten new management in before we went in March. We saw (who we believed to be) the new manager several times and he seemed very arrogant and ignored the guests. There were several parts of the resort that seemed like a deserted ghost town, with area's roped off. It was just a very strange feeling overall. I've read reviews that others have posted raving about the grounds (most things were dead) and the resort overall. I have to wonder if we stayed at the same resort. My husband and I are far from picky travellers, this was our second time to Cuba and we have travelled to Panama, Dominican 4 times, Mexico and the UK. This trip to Cuba has left a bad impression and we will not be returning any time soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple