“"would recommend!"”
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We were very happy of our stay, with all the family, and would return again. The staff was excellent expecialy Maykel in the activity's, my boy's had fun with you and Mocka,ha ha ha very funny guy. All the staff very freindly and the food very good. The beach was heavenly with fish swimming with us ....I recomend this hotel

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank dionnetrip
There are newer reviews for Hotel Playa Coco

Reviewed 12 March 2012

We had a mixed experience for our first stay here (second in Cayo Coco, seventh in the Caribbean), we would still recommend it but please read on.

The service was good, as on all the resorts we've been on, you make 'friends' (and I don't mean with pesos) with some staff and they give you fantastic service throughout your stay. The rest of the staff was good and very helpful.

We had two rooms and had a problem with the shower in one of the rooms (Bldg. 3/Green/2nd fl.), we spoke to the Customer Service lady in the lobby (Desk to the left of the exit, where you book the a-la-carte restaurants) and we were moved/upgraded to Bldg. 5/Yellow/1st fl./Oceanview for free (2 rooms). The new rooms were great and everything worked fine. The view was fantastic.

The food was low-average for Cuba, mediocre compared to anywhere else. This was my personal worst culinary experience in Cuba/Caribbean. The buffet was repetitive, the Italian was only OK. We ate about the same 3 things from the buffet every meal. The only highlight was the snack bar which had good fries and decent hot dogs. I am not a fussy eater and will eat nearly anything but for the first time I actually got annoyed at the limited selection and the poor quality of the food. That being said, no one goes to Cuba for the food and we didn't go hungry, so for Cuba, it was acceptable.

The beach was fantastic, best beach I've ever seen out of Canadian/USA beaches I've been to, Sosua, Cabarete, Luperon (in the Puerto Plata area), Punta Cana (GBP/Tropical Princess) and La Laguna in Cayo Coco. The worker who pulls out the loungers for you is very friendly and worthy of a smile, a chat and usually a peso.

The 2 pools were also great. The main pool is huge and has a nice swim-up bar. The bartender at the swim-up bar is also very friendly. The quiet pool is very quiet and has a bar as well. With such a beautiful beach though, you shouldn't be at the pool unless the weather isn't great.

We spent a few days in the lobby because of rain & wind. I really like the lobby here because the lobby bar is segregated in an alcove so you don't get all the hustle and bustle of the lobby bar everywhere. The lobby bar is good with friendly bartenders and servers. The servers try to pick out groups/tables and keep serving them personally which is a nice touch.

Grounds are low-average but they are working hard to make the gardens beautiful. Many new trees/shrubs recently planted. Another year and they will be above-average.

The entertainment shows were between poor and fantastic depending on the night. The dance/swimming shows were the best and rate as some of the best I've ever seen in the Caribbean. The trivia/game nights were just ok.

I would like to touch on one of our negatives during our vacation that has come up in previous reviews. Sand fleas/Bed bugs - we experienced what we believe to be sand fleas bites. 2 or our party of 5, myself included, had severe bites on our legs, moderate bites on our backs and chest/stomach. I even had one on my neck. The rest of the party had mild bites on their ankles and legs. This is what we concluded based on where we went and what we did each day and how many bites we got that day:
Mild to moderate bites on the beach, depending on time of day and how long we spent there.
Moderate bites at the lobby from either the tables (the glass covered ones with sand in them) or the chair cushions, no matter what time of day.
Moderate bites in one room (Bldg. 3/Green/2nd Fl.) from possible mattress infestation. Once we changed rooms we didn't get any more bites during the night. Our party stayed in 5 different rooms including changes and we only experienced this in one room.
WE DO NOT BELIEVE THERE WERE ANY BED BUGS! I did some research on bed bugs and sand fleas and their bites since I returned home and I've concluded that all the bites were from sand fleas and NO BED BUGS.

Sand fleas are inevitable when close to a beach and if you have any problems with them at night, just ask to change rooms. Avoid sand tables/cushioned chairs in the lobby.

Despite our problems, I would still give this resort a 4/5 rating because of the beautiful beach and the good service.

I would recommend this resort as long as you are informed of the problems (food/bites) that you may face there, the positives outweighed the negatives for us.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a site message (Click my name "NewBrunswickTravlr" next to the review, and then "Send a message") and I'll be happy to respond to you.

Room Tip: Yellow building #5 and the pink building next to it are Oceanview and have the most beautiful views...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank NewBrunswickTravlr
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I visited this resort with many name changes from March 1 - 8th and had a great time. It was our first visit to Cuba and i will defenitly return. The staff truly make a difference as you are treated very well for the entire stay. Since Cayo coco is an island, it is only occupied by tourist...no residents live there, therefore for $5.00, we could take the bus and visit the other resorts for the day. Don't miss out on Cayo Guillermo, a small island off Cayo Coco, attached by a causeway. There you will find 4 resorts, boat rentals and the 4th nicest beach in the world. The room at our hotel was clean and ok, but don't expect the Hilton. The food is good, but mostly consist of chicken, beef, pork or fish...cooked differently to change it around a bit. They had a pasta bar as well as salads and more. Try the Japanese restaurant, they cook in front of you, so a great experience. After visiting the other resorts, i have concluded that ours was one of the best ones. The pink building and the yellow building have the best oceanview... they will charge you $10.00 pp/ per night to upgrade. There is a spa at the hotel, but we visited the one out of the resort for same price. you will get 2.5 hrs of pampering and is well worth it. All in all.. was a great vacation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JoEllen D
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Absolutely beautiful beach.
Was given an ocean view room with out asking,beautiful view.
Asked for 3 beds and got 3 beds.Lots of room for 3 ladies.
Staff was very friendly and always waited for us to return.
The food was also good at the buffet as well as the a la cartes.
Can,t wait to return.

Room Tip: Pink rooms best view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank rowzeef
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Let me preface our comments by saying that we have been to Cuba many times over the past 20 years. We are in our early 60's but still quite active. We were away during reading week. Further, Hotel Playa Coco has changed hands twice since July 2011. If you have been to Holguin and been to either Playa Costa Verde or Playa Pesquero, then you know the quality that Playa will bring to this resort.

The resort appears to have undergone some major renovations. The resort in general is quite good as they have replaced many of the pool lounges, restaurant and lobby furniture. The two swimming pools are in good repair. However, the rooms still require a lot more work.

Hotel Layout & Grounds

The hotel is well laid out. All of the main restaurants are close to the lobby and for the most part all in a row to your right as you exit the lobby. The rooms are in three storey buildings and start with 200 Blue building, 300 Green building, 400 Pink, 500 Yellow, 600 Pink, 700 Yellow 800 Blue and 900 Green. Buildings 400 and 500 are Ocean view and close to the beach as is 900 only to see the ocean you need to be on the 3rd floor. Buildings 600, 700, 800 and 900 surround a quiet pool. Building 600 is closest to the restaurants and Mini Club for the children. We would stay away from buildings 200, 300, 700 and 800 as they are the furthest away from most things. However 200 is right beside the tennis courts and fitness centre.

Generally, the grounds were well kept. At times, there was garbage blowing around and it was not all caused by students as others might suggest. Take a travel mug. This eliminates the need to have a beverage in one of the small plastic cups.

Part of the problem is that the `take out restaurants` give you your food in a Styrofoam tray. The tray is larger than the hole to deposit the garbage and can easily blow away in the slightest wind when empty. If the folks would break up the tray and put all their waste into the garbage, the grounds would be good.

Tipping

Knowing what works, we take down toothpaste, men's and ladies shavers, stuffed animals, children's colouring books with coloured pencils and other personal products. It is cheaper for you to use these items as tips versus a peso every time. Most of these items only cost a dollar Canadian whereas a peso is about $1.15 and varies based on the Canadian dollar. Also by tipping items listed above it costs them more than a peso to buy and is of much greater value. While tipping is not required, it certainly improves the level of service. The staff remember you, know what you like and there is little they will not do for you. This said, treat them like you would family and they will do almost anything for you. Our service was always excellent.

Restaurants

24 Hour Snack Bar - It is a little difficult to find as it is not well marked. However, it is immediately to the right of the stage as you face it. They serve hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese and fries. They also serve ice cream and alcohol.

Mid Day BBQ - They start a charcoal fired BBQ by the swim up bar for lunch and mid day snacks. They serve ribs, hot dogs and hamburgers. No fries are served here.

Buffet - We only ate breakfast in the buffet and one nights supper. Breakfast was generally the same every day with limited variety. Supper buffet appeared to have all the meat choices along with a pasta bar.

Italian - The food was excellent and had a good variety. We enjoyed the food here the best.

Japanese - The show in preparing the food is always fun to watch. Our chef had everyone try to spear a piece of chicken that they flipped into the air. We always travel to resorts with Japanese restaurants as this is usually a favourite meal for us. If you have never seen them prepare the food, you are going to love it. If you have been to other places, it might not be up to expectations. Still the food was good.

Special Dinner - As a repeat guest to the resort, we treated to a special dinner around the pool with hotel staff. The champagne and surf and turf was excellent.

Beach Restaurant - Serves hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, pizza and fries. They also serve alcohol. In the evening it doubled as the Cuban restaurant and beach BBQ local.

Cuban - Travelling Nolitours we were entitled to a Cuban meal. We were a little apprehensive as we have typically not enjoyed a bland serving. However, we quite enjoyed the meal and it was the best Cuban meal we have had in all our years travelling to Cuba.

BBQ - Again with Nolitours we were entitled to a "beach BBQ". The food was okay. But nothing spectacular.

Seafood - We did not eat at this restaurant. It appeared to be the least favourite of the tourists since it usually only had a few patrons at each seating.

Bars

The swim up bar was excellent. Gustaf does an excellent job. There is also a bar by the quiet pool. We really enjoyed the lobby bar. Alain and Yosvany were the evening bartenders. They will certainly look after your needs. There are some premium liquors that are extra such as Johnny Walker Black.

In the evening they have very entertaining pianists come into play music on a grand piano. Sorry folks but there is no Crown Royal but they do have a rye whisky that will pass if you get tired of the rum, vodka, gin or beer. They also have lower grade scotch. The new drink of the trip was called Miami Vice.

We always take a `large` travel mug to get our drinks in. This eliminates the need to run to the bar as often. That said this was the first resort we have seen using larger plastic cups.

Rooms - The rooms are basic. The beds are hard and the pillows are thin. Our room was always clean. However, the maid must have been new. We kept having towels removed and not replaced. The coffee maker never had the coffee replaced. We asked about the towels but not the coffee maker. We thought they might have done a check of all items before finishing. Others never had the problems we had and they were in the same building. Yes we were tipping her. The water was not always hot for a shower around 5:00 p.m.

Beach

This is by far one of the best beaches. The sand was very soft and quite `white`. There are some areas where the water is rocky particularly to the left as you face the water. You can walk out quite away before it really starts to get deep.

Overall

For Cuba, we would rate the resort as 3 1/2 star.

The service was sometimes slow as it appeared they did not have sufficient staff at peak times due to reading week.

The daytime entertainment was good. The night time entertainment has a lot of audience participation. If that is what you like enjoy. Otherwise stay in the lobby enjoy the pianists or watch television in your room. They have CNN, ESPN, TNT, A&E or TBS.

We would certainly go back to the resort again. Playa is talking about making some major changes to the resort similar to some of the features to the resorts in Holguin.

R & B
Grimsby

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ruby W
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed Feb 23 - Mar 01 2012. Everything was wonderful, quick check in. The buffet food was fine, if you can't find anything to eat your fussy. The room was nice by the quiet pool,first night no AC, but told front desk and was fixed right away. Toilet would not flush and patio door was hard to open, Jose fixed it in a snap. Maid was excellent at cleaning our room. There is no bed bugs contour to what others say, it is the small mosquitoes that are hard to see. I had OFF but they still bite me, not my husband. Spray 1st thing in AM and when the sun goes down.
Beach was awesome and the weather perfect. Grill at beach serves pizza, burgers and fries.
Swim up bar is very nice and especially Gustavov, try the grill there awesome BBQ pork.
Quiet bar is great and Taimey is terrific! I miss her, she was so kind to us.
Check out the piano bar he plays great and the assorted coffees are awesome. Only complaint was the mattress, really hard. Love the Beach Party it's a must. The gardeners are nice Manuel and Lewis very nice guys. Entertainment Mickael and Jack are the ones we spoke with. Jack is a sweetie.
We and more friends are going back next year, overall I received more for my dollar, as I made new friends.. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Yellow and Pink by the beach for the beach view.. If you want quiet pink building by the quiet pool...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crugiz
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My family just got back from staying at this resort from Feb 25 to March 4th. I went with my 4 yr old daughter, 20 & 22 yr old nephews, brother & mother. The resort offered something for everyone. If you wanted to get involved, you could; otherwise, you watched or just relaxed. The entertainment staff were excellent, all of them. Evereryone made you feel so comfortable & safe. Marielquis was so very nice & made sure to always come to talk to all of us, especially my little girl. She would get my girl involved in activities even if no one else wanted to. We went the week after college kids were there, thank goodness. There were not that many kids around, but my girl played with everyone, even the big kids. The pool bartender was awesome. He would always make my girl a special princess drink with colored syrup. Everyone called my girl the little princess, her face would beem. The pool was fantastic for a little one. Sections would start off up to your ankles then get deeper. My girl could walk right to the swim up bar & get her special drink, so cute. If you are not up by 8300ish, you wouldn't get a shady spot by the beach. Although, you would move your chair in the chair anyways. At this time, the resort was not busy, so you got a chance to meet lots of people. There was always room around the pool. The beach was fantastic and the sand was nice & fluffy. Lots of white shells & pieces of corals to pick up. The ocean was nice and shallow for a whilebut rocky in areas, strongly suggest to wear water shoes. Rememeber to bring bananas & bread from the buffet to feed the fish. It was really cool seeing the fish swim around you, cool for all to see. Suggest to get up early to book your water sports for tHe day. Paddle boats were fun & wish we went out on the catamaran. Recommend tO book all of tHe a la carte restaurants. The Japanese & Italian was great. Didn't go to the seafood due to allergies. We were lucky to be there on Tuesday for the beach party - it was the best night by far. Food was fantastic, all decorated & so amazing to eat right on the beach. Nitty entertainment was great but very loud. Only stayed a short time as the music was too loud for my girl. All of the staff, bartenders, front desk, store workers, gardeners etc were all sp friendly & really tried to talk english. We stayed n the yellow building beachfront on the 2nd floor & had no problems.l. What a wonderful view. Our gardener had souvenirs in his wheel barrel which was neat. Everyday there were booths set up before the beach which you could bargain with. I found the pricing was very good so I hardly bargained at all. Lots of variety of things. My brother & nephews went scuba diving two days in a row, well worth it they say. Recommend to pay extra to get a disc of pictures & video. The grounds were well kept however, not very green or lucious, only complaint. The pool bar closed at 5 PM but there was a 24 hr bar with hamburger, hotdogs, fries & ham and cheese sandwich offered. The lobby bar was really nice as well. the main bathrooms only had two out of four working for half a week. There were other washrooms in the main lobby or in the beach restaurant too. We had a great Cuban dinner there. We went in with very low expectations as I didn't book it, however, we came away with a great vacation full of fun memories. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Bbymhyne Book your a la carte dinners the first day & make sure you get the japanese. R...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
9.3 km away
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Hotel Playa Coco? Share your experiences!