“Nice vacation, great place to relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Playa Coco

Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
montreal
“Nice vacation, great place to relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Although we have been mostly in five star resorts pretty much on every location in Cuba, this resort is not so bad for a 4* resort. The additional cost of a 5* in Cuba is really not that justified. The food is pretty much the same quality as a five star which is what is expected in Cuba anyways. The buffet lacked selection, there were no extras, however we do not expect a gastronomical experience, our advice go for what is cooked at the counters and stuff that looks fresh and not recyled and it should be okay for the week. This hotel had clean rooms, good service and the hotel in general was renovated perhaps not as per Canadian standards but it was clean. Only negative comment about the room is the bed, if not used to sleeping on a rock hard mattress and tiny flat pillow it may be somewhat difficult to sleep well. After all is said, it is a good resort for the price and although we will continue to try different resorts, this may be a place that we would like to go back in future. We love Cuba and we will certainly return in hope to find that next to perfect resort. I am certain that many who love the beautiful ocean in Cuba will keep on returning therefore I most certainly hope that the Cubans read the reviews on Trip Advisor and learn from them and keep on improving. Ola adiós por ahora

Room Tip: Choose yellow building facing the ocean on the third floor, not what we had but would have liked to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rosieMontreal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I traveled to what was then called Oasis Playa Cayo Coco, (soon after the name was changed and it has since been changed again, all in a year) I have traveled to Cuba a number of times staying in both Veredaro and Cayo Coco. The trip to this resort was disapointing at best! I brought my mother and sister both whom had never visited Cuba before (a country I love).

Food- The food was... well Cuban... It was not bad just boring, we travel with our favorite sauces and spices which helps.. Remember that Cuba doesnt have access to the foods and spices we are used to. Bring your own and you will thank me for the suggestion! A little hot sauce goes a long way!

The rooms - To be honest I don't care about the rooms at all. I don't spend enough time in the room to care about if it is ultra modern or dated. My mom and sister changed rooms due to ecessive mould, but ours was fine.

The beach - Is beautiful! One of the things that I love about Cuba! No other tropical destination (unless you travel around the world) can compare to cuban beaches! Miles of White Sandy beach and crystal clear blue water... just stunning. There were sand fleas and we did become snack food for them... Bug spray did not help at all!

The Drinks - What Drinks? I recognize that tips=service in cuba and I have no problem tipping generously! We often take hundreds of dollars with us on our vacation (for tips) and are happy to share with the staff! The first day we arrived around the noon hour and went to the 24 hour snack bar, I handed the bartender 10 pacos, he took the money turned around and went in the back room neve to return...10 pacos=no drinks. the beach bar only had 1 bartender on one day (a rainy day) other than that there was no one on the beach to serve anyone. The pool bar was closed for most of our stay and only got drinks there on one day. The only bar you could get drinks was the lobby and unless you were drinking beer the drinks were gross! off milk used in every drink! We litterally had to go to the souveneer store and buy our own drinks and pop to mix. Not only could we not get drinks on the resort we could also not get water in our room! Every other resort I went to stocked the bar fridge in our room daily with pop and water. At this resort we had to buy our own, even after asking and tipping the maid we couldnot get any.

The entertainment - Evening entertainment was aweful! It consisted of night after night of the animation staff putting on contests desigened to make fun of the guests. There was no dancing no shows just embarrassing contests one after the other..

Dont get me wrong I am not a complainer and make the best of just about any situation. But this resort fell far short of all my other Cuban experiences! I paid for and all inclusive and did not get what I paid for! Buyer Beware. Any hotel that changes its name 3 times in a year is hiding something. Spend a few extra dollars and try a hotel with better reviews (and watch for hotels with lots of reviews, the ones not changing their names are generally better hotels)

I would not recomend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank Jennifer J
, Gerente at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Dear guest,
It is a pity to hear what you wrote on 22nd march, on Tripadvisor ''Any hotel that changes its name 3 times in a year is hiding something.'' we are not hiding anything, don't have anything to hide! We have been under a great number of renovations, from staff to services, and all in all we have changed our managment and now the managment is only Cuban!
If you have the oportunity to take a look at the recent opinions on Tripadvisor, please do it, they are saying how hard we have been working recently, and how our services have improved!
Sorry because of the inconviniences you have had here once1
Kind regards,
Midael Echemendía
Resident Manager
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

This was our first time going to Cuba and taking our children aged 7 and 4&1/2 with us. Check in was fast and easy and our luggage was to our rooms swiftly. The staff were extremely polite.

Our rooms were very clean, did NOT smell and we had a beautiful ocean view. Our building was the Yellow building we were on the 3rd floor and I would highly recommend it. We were traveling with a group of 13 and all our rooms were in a row. My husbands parents came with us and we were delighted that we had ajoining rooms not something we had asked for.

As for the food not all of it was delicious although the Japanese resturant was...but we always found something to eat even my 4 year old who is the fussiest eater alive!!!! The 24hr bar always had hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries and grilled cheese or cheese and ham sandwiches.

The beach was AMAZING this is where we spent all morning till early afternoon, make sure to take bread and feed the fish you won't be disapointed. After that we headed to the pool where the kids played till it was time to get ready for supper. My kids met one of the workers the first day at the pool bar (George) and they became friends for life!!!! What a great person!!!!

I was happy that it didn't have a big party atmosphere as we had our kids, the entertainment was a bit cheesy but they tried. The staff REALLY works hard to make sure you are having a good time.

For a trip to spend some great quality family time together especially if you have small kids I would completely reccomend this hotel if you want the 5star food and entertainment and a party atmosphere it's probably not for you.

I would definitely reccomend this hotel and we are planing on returning. Overall it was an awesome first experience going south with our children they had the time of their lives and it's something we'll always remember.

Room Tip: Ask for beach front Pink or Yellow building!!!!! You will not be disapointed!!!!
4 Thank joh2o
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We were very happy of our stay, with all the family, and would return again. The staff was excellent expecialy Maykel in the activity's, my boy's had fun with you and Mocka,ha ha ha very funny guy. All the staff very freindly and the food very good. The beach was heavenly with fish swimming with us ....I recomend this hotel

2 Thank dionnetrip
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We had a mixed experience for our first stay here (second in Cayo Coco, seventh in the Caribbean), we would still recommend it but please read on.

The service was good, as on all the resorts we've been on, you make 'friends' (and I don't mean with pesos) with some staff and they give you fantastic service throughout your stay. The rest of the staff was good and very helpful.

We had two rooms and had a problem with the shower in one of the rooms (Bldg. 3/Green/2nd fl.), we spoke to the Customer Service lady in the lobby (Desk to the left of the exit, where you book the a-la-carte restaurants) and we were moved/upgraded to Bldg. 5/Yellow/1st fl./Oceanview for free (2 rooms). The new rooms were great and everything worked fine. The view was fantastic.

The food was low-average for Cuba, mediocre compared to anywhere else. This was my personal worst culinary experience in Cuba/Caribbean. The buffet was repetitive, the Italian was only OK. We ate about the same 3 things from the buffet every meal. The only highlight was the snack bar which had good fries and decent hot dogs. I am not a fussy eater and will eat nearly anything but for the first time I actually got annoyed at the limited selection and the poor quality of the food. That being said, no one goes to Cuba for the food and we didn't go hungry, so for Cuba, it was acceptable.

The beach was fantastic, best beach I've ever seen out of Canadian/USA beaches I've been to, Sosua, Cabarete, Luperon (in the Puerto Plata area), Punta Cana (GBP/Tropical Princess) and La Laguna in Cayo Coco. The worker who pulls out the loungers for you is very friendly and worthy of a smile, a chat and usually a peso.

The 2 pools were also great. The main pool is huge and has a nice swim-up bar. The bartender at the swim-up bar is also very friendly. The quiet pool is very quiet and has a bar as well. With such a beautiful beach though, you shouldn't be at the pool unless the weather isn't great.

We spent a few days in the lobby because of rain & wind. I really like the lobby here because the lobby bar is segregated in an alcove so you don't get all the hustle and bustle of the lobby bar everywhere. The lobby bar is good with friendly bartenders and servers. The servers try to pick out groups/tables and keep serving them personally which is a nice touch.

Grounds are low-average but they are working hard to make the gardens beautiful. Many new trees/shrubs recently planted. Another year and they will be above-average.

The entertainment shows were between poor and fantastic depending on the night. The dance/swimming shows were the best and rate as some of the best I've ever seen in the Caribbean. The trivia/game nights were just ok.

I would like to touch on one of our negatives during our vacation that has come up in previous reviews. Sand fleas/Bed bugs - we experienced what we believe to be sand fleas bites. 2 or our party of 5, myself included, had severe bites on our legs, moderate bites on our backs and chest/stomach. I even had one on my neck. The rest of the party had mild bites on their ankles and legs. This is what we concluded based on where we went and what we did each day and how many bites we got that day:
Mild to moderate bites on the beach, depending on time of day and how long we spent there.
Moderate bites at the lobby from either the tables (the glass covered ones with sand in them) or the chair cushions, no matter what time of day.
Moderate bites in one room (Bldg. 3/Green/2nd Fl.) from possible mattress infestation. Once we changed rooms we didn't get any more bites during the night. Our party stayed in 5 different rooms including changes and we only experienced this in one room.
WE DO NOT BELIEVE THERE WERE ANY BED BUGS! I did some research on bed bugs and sand fleas and their bites since I returned home and I've concluded that all the bites were from sand fleas and NO BED BUGS.

Sand fleas are inevitable when close to a beach and if you have any problems with them at night, just ask to change rooms. Avoid sand tables/cushioned chairs in the lobby.

Despite our problems, I would still give this resort a 4/5 rating because of the beautiful beach and the good service.

I would recommend this resort as long as you are informed of the problems (food/bites) that you may face there, the positives outweighed the negatives for us.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a site message (Click my name "NewBrunswickTravlr" next to the review, and then "Send a message") and I'll be happy to respond to you.

Room Tip: Yellow building #5 and the pink building next to it are Oceanview and have the most beautiful views...
3 Thank NewBrunswickTravlr
Pubnico, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I visited this resort with many name changes from March 1 - 8th and had a great time. It was our first visit to Cuba and i will defenitly return. The staff truly make a difference as you are treated very well for the entire stay. Since Cayo coco is an island, it is only occupied by tourist...no residents live there, therefore for $5.00, we could take the bus and visit the other resorts for the day. Don't miss out on Cayo Guillermo, a small island off Cayo Coco, attached by a causeway. There you will find 4 resorts, boat rentals and the 4th nicest beach in the world. The room at our hotel was clean and ok, but don't expect the Hilton. The food is good, but mostly consist of chicken, beef, pork or fish...cooked differently to change it around a bit. They had a pasta bar as well as salads and more. Try the Japanese restaurant, they cook in front of you, so a great experience. After visiting the other resorts, i have concluded that ours was one of the best ones. The pink building and the yellow building have the best oceanview... they will charge you $10.00 pp/ per night to upgrade. There is a spa at the hotel, but we visited the one out of the resort for same price. you will get 2.5 hrs of pampering and is well worth it. All in all.. was a great vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JoEllen D
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Absolutely beautiful beach.
Was given an ocean view room with out asking,beautiful view.
Asked for 3 beds and got 3 beds.Lots of room for 3 ladies.
Staff was very friendly and always waited for us to return.
The food was also good at the buffet as well as the a la cartes.
Can,t wait to return.

Room Tip: Pink rooms best view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends