2,327 results
All reviews beer garden seafood piano bar the japanese a la carte chicken ice cream parlour entertainment staff fries beach restaurant beautiful beach bug spray pizza ocean view public relations quiet pool italian restaurant the grill
Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

In all honesty, it was good. I mean, it was my first trip in years and I knew I shouldn’t expect much since it’s “dead” season (rainy/storm). My boyfriend and I stayed a good 5 days and this is how it went down :

Day 1: Amazing people. From the aiport to the resort, everyone was just so kind ! Check-in was at 4pm but our room was ready once we got there (12pm) so we got to settle in, we took a nap and went for dinner at the buffet. Food was alright. There were 3 stations where a chef cooks something on the spot for you. We ate so much that my boyfriend decided we should take a night stroll on the beach but nope .. BAD IDEA ! I totally forgot to pack the most important thing .. BUG REPELLANT ! Geez, I was a 3 course meal for these mosquitos. I got bitten all over my legs and a little on my arms. We rushed back to our hotel (I’m so glad they gave us a room next to the beach even when I booked a simple room.) Air condition was nice, could be a little stronger. Everything was clean but the only thing that bothered me was the sheets. It smelled like it wasn’t dried properly.

Day 2-4: Beach, beach, beach ! Always at the beach ! I made a mistake of getting a 30spf sunscreen when I should’ve gotten something stronger because the sun was out there to turn you into a dried tomato. My skin was so red by the end of the day, but luckily I brought some aloe vera gel for the sunburn. About food: It was about the same food everyday at the buffet. I mean, different for breakfast, lunch and dinner.. OH, it was so hard to make ALC reservations.. 2 restaurants were available: Japanese and Italian. They were only open on certain days. We missed out on the Japanese resto (Tuesday - we took a nap and we forgot to set an alarm) and when we went to book again, it was open again for Sunday ! (I left Saturday) so we didn’t have any ALC dinners.. sucks because I brought 2 formal dresses.
OH SHOUT OUT TO THE SNACK BAR CLOSE TO THE BUFFET ! THAT PLACE IS SO GOOD AND THE STAFF IS SO NICE !

Suggestions: I suggest you bring bug repellant if you want to go out at night. Make sure to pass by the lobby after dinner for some fun entertainment! If you get tired of buffet food, head to the snack bar ! They have good sandwiches, burgers and hot dog, comes with fries too ! DO NOT BUY YOUR SOUVENIRS AT THE LOBBY ! There is a little store at the lobby selling snacks and souvenirs but.. THERE IS AN AMAZING BUS RIDE EVERY HOUR OF THE DAY FROM 7AM TO 6PM ! One goes to another beach and the other goes to a little mall called La Graviota ! The fare is 5cuc ! YOU WILL FIND PLENTY OF SOUVENIRS FOR SOOOOOO CHEAP ! La Graviota was one of the highlights of my vacation ! All your bus information is posted at the front desk, at the lobby !

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank gtseverino
General M, Director General at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Dear Ms. gtseverino
Thank you very much for posting your comments on this site and for all your compliments on our facilities and special services my team provides. Have shared all your remarks with them. We really appreciate your opinions and will be more than happy to welcome you once again at Playa Coco on your next vacation. We assure you throughout our company, we have commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests´ expectations. We are soory about the inconvenineces you encountered at the time of booking the a la cartes, we will take corrective actions to avoid that situation from happening again in the future.
We will love to welcome you back again!!

Reviewed June 8, 2018

We were there from April 22-29 and had a fantastic time! The staff is super friendly and the rooms were spacious and clean. The gardeners.... made our stay memorable, they were always smiling and made us feel so welcome. The buffet staff is awesome and the food was always plentiful. We loved eating at the beach grill, the cook was so attentive and the chicken was so good!! We've been to Cuba 14 times and this part of the beach is the most beautiful we've ever seen, you can walk for hours (to the right facing the ocean) and the water never goes past your knees, the sand is like flour and the water is so warm :) My only complaint is in regards to the smokers..I didn't think people still smoked as much and there are cigarette butts all over the beach.

We were in room 3309 which is close to everything and super quiet. The shower had good pressure and the water was lukewarm but we never ran out of hot water. The beds are comfy and so are the pillows. Air conditioning worked perfectly as well.

We're going back from June 16-30 (first time we go back to the same resort!!) and we can't wait to see the whole gang again! Going back to Moron for more tattoos with Chocolate ;-) See you soon!!

Room Tip: Block 3 is very quiet
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Annedubureau

Dear Ms. Annedubureau
Thank you very much for posting your comments on this site and for all your compliments on our facilities and special services my team provides. Have shared all your remarks with them, it is always my pleasure telling my team how positive their right doing influence on all our customers' holiday enjoyment. We really appreciate your opinions and will be more than happy to welcome you once again at Playa Coco on your next vacation. Our staff is amazing and we are very proud of them all. They do an exceptional job at fullfiling all your expectations. We have full commitment to provide quality services beyond our guests´ expectations and we are sorry about the minor inconveniences you may have encountered during your stay.
Thank you for keep choosing us and cant wait to welcome you back!!

Reviewed June 6, 2018

Just returned from a two week stay from May 18th to June 1st and have to say the trip was just wonderful and restful.

Traveled via Air Transit out of Pearson, an early morning uneventful flight on time with a quick exit through Cuban customs, at the Hotel before noon.

A huge thank you Aracely Garcia and Adriana Lopez Roche and all the staff at the front desk, the waiters, bartenders, cooks, cleaning people, gardeners and everyone else that made our trip special. All the staff bent over backwards to accommodate our group, you couldn't ask for anything more.

The food was very good, lots of variety, Japanese always a show and the Italian was good, the Buffet was closed a couple of nights due to low volume of tourist but they had special menus at the Italian to change it up. Ice cream delicious as always.

Maid was excellent and took care of all of our needs, clean towels, sheets changed frequently, there was no hot water for the first two days but this did not take away from its charm. Rooms as requested near each other in Building 9 second floor.

Ocean was warm, pools clean, drinks delicious.. do visit Yuvi at the 24 hr bar, the fish and chips are amazing and she makes an unbelievable Brandy Alexander.

We have loved this Hotel since our first visit in 2004 and hope to return soon as we are able.

Room Tip: Building 9 close to beach, Building 2 close to reception and eating areas.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank crannie

Dear Mr. Crannie
Thank you very much for posting your comments on this site. Thank you very much for all your compliments on our facilities and special services my team provides. Have shared all your remarks with them, it is always my pleasure telling my team how positive their right doing influence on all our customers' holiday enjoyment. We really appreciate your opinions and will be more than happy to welcome you once again at Playa Coco on your next vacation.Our staff does an exceptional job at fullfiling all your expectations.We are very proud of them.
Thank you for keep choosing us and cant wait to welcome you back!! You are part of our family now!!

Reviewed May 16, 2018

Second time back, spent 2 weeks from the 3rd of April, can' t say enough ,all staff from the gardeners to the cleaning staff to the servers all fantastic , always an hola ,always ready to help, sure sometimes a little wait time but I'm on vacation and all of them are trying to do there best to please all , Staff that we met last year remembered us the Cuban way with hugs and a side kiss , please remember most of these as I will call friends have been out of work for the 3 months during the rebuild ,the room was as I expected , bed great ,need to improve on the pillows lots of TP but we brought extra ,never leave home with out it ,safe worked , air conditioner was good , no problem with hot water , I can not say enough about the beach this I rate this 10 out 10 one of the most beautiful ,silky white sand ,can walk a 100yards out and still up to your waist at low tide ,no big waves here even when the winds are blowing , my wife loves going out with some bread and feed the fish some times up to 30 around her, barbecue at the beach is great but served a little to late in the afternoon . My brother as we call each other Enoel, that works at the hobby cats between the 2 hotels is a must for fishing ask please tell him Greg sent ya 40 pesos for 2 hours we caught some nice barracudas ,other wise a nice 15 -20 minute cruise around the bay is no charge but a small tip is nice ,all the guy working there are eager to please, good drinks and food Japanese restaurant fantastic same as the others, always some thing to find at the buffet, pasta ,pizza ,fish and pork , deserts were awesome , service always there ,Garden bar had great fish and chip .Didn't spend time at the pools but always a great place for the family as they added some great blow up activities for the kids plus games by the pool staff for all there is also a quite pool with a great little bar , even though we didn't spend time at the pools they always looked well looked after with the pool cleaners working every morning . Entertainment staff put on great shows at night we especially liked the pool show fantastic .could go on and on but enough said .it takes us 24 hour travelling to get here we do 18 days and will be back hope to stay 3 weeks if not a month .

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank snowshoe2012

Dear Mr.Snowshoe2012
Our staff is amazing and we are very proud of them all. They do an exceptional job at fullfiling all your expectations. Thank you for keep choosing us and cant wait to welcome you back on your third time to our Hotel Playa Coco.

Reviewed May 15, 2018

My boyfriend and I had spent a week here (May 6th- May 13th) and it was alright! The resort itself looked untouched from the hurricane, it was interesting to see how well it was reconstructed and fixed up beautifully. It was suppose to thunderstorm all week according to the forecast but it stayed super sunny during the day and rained at night, so if you book and see that the weather may be not the best rest assured that it probably won't rain all day. However, it is super important to bring bug repellent with you! The amount of mosquitoes were one of the downsides to the trip, I'm not 100% sure if they came in mass amounts due to the humidity or the rain but they were everywhere and they bite like crazy.

The hotel itself was not busy at all which allowed us to really be able to relax without the worries of not being able to find a pool chair or the buffet being overcrowded. Supposedly it being quiet is quite common for this resort as it is a bit older, its definitely something to keep in mind while booking!

The hotel itself is nice, the pool and beach were beautiful as expected and thankfully the weather held up allowing us to spend a lot of time near both areas. On the days where it did rain for a short period, we spent our time in the lobby ordering really good drinks from the Piano Bar and hanging out on the nice couches. The Beer Bar and Gin & Tonic bar were also close by but we ended up mainly drinking in the lobby, the only downside is the amount of flies that sat and followed us to the tables. Sometimes the flies would find their way into our drinks and all over the tables despite being covered or wiped down, this problem seems to go away at night but are also replaced by mosquitoes.

The Snack Bar was actually good, the buffet was meh it varied depending on the day and meal time. Food was always cold but it was somewhat tasty food, I would recommend bring along condiments that you enjoy (hot sauce, salad dressing, etc) to potentially mask some of the bland foods as for the coldness I found that grabbing the food towards the bottom of the pan was somewhat better. The grills in the Buffet weren't bad, so if you're looking for something hot and fresh that is an alternative.

As for the A La Cartes, it was frustrating to book one, The lady at the booking desk had originally told us that they had to be booked the day of and when we attempted to book one we were told that they were full for every restaurant until Sunday (our return date). This made absolutely no sense since we were told that you had to book the day of, on top of that the resort itself was definitely not busy enough for every Restaurant to be filled. The lady at the desk was also quite rude (which was strange since everyone else working at Playa Coco was so lovely) about the situation so I would suggest ensuring that you try to book ahead or just go back everyday. We did end up being able to join in on one with a friend we made at the resort and the food was really good, if you get the chance its worth checking out.

The room (2203) was great, super spacious, beds are huge, and the balcony is quite nice. Our only issues were that there was no hot water or water pressure and that the maid never left us toilet paper, bottled water, or bath towels (we got face towels instead). It may have been that she might not had enough for all the rooms or that she may have forgot.

As for daily entertainment, we didn't really stick around for much of that as we took the $5 bus to the Market and Pilar Beach (highly recommend doing this!) and a couple excursions (Bat Cave & Jeep Off). However, the night shows in the lobby were good whilst drinking and hanging out. There was one night were they had an aquatic show in the pool, definitely go see this one its really good.

Overall, it was a great trip for relaxing and having a good time together. We had made the most of our trip and found things that kept us occupied whilst enjoying Cuba, would I come back to this resort? Probably not. Although there were some highlights there are other nicer resorts on the island that look much better.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AshleyS06052018

Dear Ms.AshleyS06052018
Thank you very much for posting your comments on this site. Thank you very much for all your compliments on our facilities and special services my team provides. We are sorry for the situation with the a la cartes, we assure you we gave this matter the proper attention and will take corrective meausures to avoid this kind of situation again. We have full commitment to provide quality services beyond our guests´expectations and we only hope we couldnt be able to fullfill yours in general.