“Delicious steak in a romantic setting”
Review of Gio by Gio Gastro Bar - CLOSED

Gio by Gio Gastro Bar
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Caribbean, International, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2010

After a long day of scuba diving, we were in the mood for steak and Club Seabourne lived up to its reputation as one of the best places for steak on Culebra. The restaurant was not very crowded, but the several other couples seemed to be enjoying their meal. Service was prompt and the wine list was good. It may be one of the more peaceful and romantic settings for a delicious meal on the island.

2  Thank alashas

Reviewed April 18, 2010

We tried Club Seabourne's restaurant based on proximity to our vacation rental, and generic recommendations on various web sites. Our family of four walked there for dinner -- BIG MISTAKE. Though we were only one of 3 parties in the restaurant at our 7pm arrival, the were understaffed all night and dinner (with our 2 young children) took MORE THAN TWO HOURS. The wait staff was inconsistent, repeatedly brought wrong and incomplete dishes, provided "identical" drinks in very different glasses (why should my Pina Colada be served in a 6 oz glass, but the table next to us get them in 16 oz glasses?). I wasn't expecting fast food, and I know things on Culebra run on their own "island time", but in no way does their service measure up to their prices or any other restaurants' service on the island. To add insult, the 15% tip was included in the bill, which only came after several reminders and eventually physically stopping the waitress in her tracks (with two overtired, crying kids at the table), demanding that we had to go, now.

Reviewed January 23, 2010

Went last year and really had a fabulous meal. Don't know if anything changed, but this time the food was lousy. I had the chicken mofongo, which was passable, but my partner had the filet, which unfortunately was not good at all. First time out it was underdone. It was sent back, and a whole new steak was prepared. It was done fine this time, but the meat had no taste. I know it's hard getting provisions in a place like Culebra, but they need to find another butcher. The salads were overdressed, and the Puerto Rican appetizer sampler was a bit greasy (as Puerto Rican samplers would tend to be anyway). Overall, there are better places to eat on Culebra (but not many). Note - the rum punch at the bar is excellent.

Reviewed June 6, 2009

We ate at Club Seabourne last year...and it was a nice meal...not the best ever, but there were definitely some bright spots to the meal and the service was fine...so this year, we decided to try it again, and it was AWFUL. First, the service was terrible. SOOOO SLOW. And there was only one other table in the restaurant. Second, the $6 salad I ordered was nasty...like, slimy bagged lettuce...and a few grape tomatoes...and the salad was served on a hot plate...then, the shrimp, well lets just say i like Long John Silver's more...and the pork I got tasted like reheated leftovers...i did not order dessert... Our waitress was very unfriendly...I would have complained but i doubted it would do any good because we were practically the only ones dining and no one seemed to be interested in us. The year prior, the manager came over to us and inquired into our meal and service...not so this time. Lastly, I will say that Seabourne is pleasantly decorated...almost deceptively so...there is nothing like thinking that you are in Neiman Marcus and getting treated like you are at a truck stop. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY

Reviewed January 29, 2009

maybe three stars...it depends. It used to be terrific for dinner. Ownership changed and it floundered for years. I skipped it for several trips in favor of more reliable alternatives. Was there last year and it was terrific...when it is "on" it can be very ON. But when it's not...you'll lament the money you spent, since it is not cheap...