All reviews pink sand dressing room tennis courts golf course bedroom beachfront suite tobago cays pilates troy jet watersports sandals playground hillside lucia reef gym luxury
Reviewed March 7, 2018

The grounds, the service and the room were well done. We expected with the Mandarin brand superb food and variety. Having traveled throughout the islands staying at 5 star resorts, the food and beverage at this resort was poor. The explanation was the ineffective logistics to get food to the island. As mentioned before, the service, grounds and suites were excellent.

Room Tip: Location of the rooms were all good.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lori L
Euan C, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Canouan, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2018

Dear Lori,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and our service. While I am delighted to read that our service, grounds and suites were "excellent” we do strive for perfection. I know I express the sentiments of all our colleagues when I apologize for missing the mark in our restaurants, during your stay.

The unusually high winds and surf have prevented our normal shipment of goods to Canouan. (The ferry service is resuming tomorrow.) It was our hope that our culinary team could work with what goods were available. Clearly, we didn’t achieve this.

Mandarin Oriental began managing Pink Sands Club, Canouan in October of 2017. Our teams have been training and working diligently to achieve the legendary Mandarin Oriental standards you reference. It is our intent to have the resort become Mandarin Oriental in name, and in spirit, by June 1, 2018.

If there is the opportunity to welcome you to the resort, after we become “Mandarin Oriental, Canouan” I hope that you will allow us to demonstrate what changes we have implemented. Perhaps you will even permit us to prepare, and host, a personalized private tasting of our new menus?

I hope that you will not hesitate to message me directly so that we can make the arrangements.

With Warmest Appreciation,

Euan Cunningham
Front Office Manager

Reviewed January 24, 2018

With the unveiling of the Mandarin Oriental Canouan on a sundrenched islet just south of Barbados, the eponymous hotelier dives into turquoise waters with its first Caribbean ultra-luxury resort.

Mandarin has so drastically refined the Caribbean luxury concept, our stay was more akin to visiting a billionaire friend's private island than having booked a suite at a resort.

We booked the flight to Barbados, and the Mandarin team handled everything else. Everything. In Barbados, Mandarin’s flight concierge whisked us through the red tape to the air shuttle, operated by SVG air. When the shuttle landed in Canouan, a silver Mercedes SUV was waiting for us.

Pulling up to reception, giant glass doors lead out to a world-class beach. Powdery white sand with hints of pink eases into a vividly azure bay. In a world clogged with Instagram filters adding gloss to the drab reality of daily life, this place needs no artificial enhancement. The dramatic colors left us breathless.

The Mandarin brand is built on royal service; Canouan is no exception. The entire team from General Manager to beach concierge had prepared for our arrival. Approaching the restaurant for breakfast, the director of the property’s five restaurants greeted us by name and confirmed our food preferences, which he had reviewed in advance of our arrival.

The resort is huge – I don’t know how many acres – but has only 24 suites, which made our experience intimate and secluded. Contrast this with Sandy Lane's 135 rooms on a beach a fraction of the size.

The detail and build quality of our one-bedroom suite exceeded every expectation. It is clear that the designers obsessed over every square inch of space, and the result is an elegant luxury that unfolded throughout our stay. Even four days into our stay, we were surprised noticing design details. The carved granite baseboard and casement moldings. The inlaid marble flooring. The chromed brass period bathroom fixtures. The leather-lined cabinetry.

The suite’s entire beach-facing wall is glass. Our upper-floor suite had a full-width balcony with an amazing view. The suites on the lower floor have patios that lead directly out to the beach.

We spent most of our time on the beach and bobbing about in the ocean, but occasionally partook in an activity here and there. Activities include golf, tennis, water-toys (sailboats, kayaks, etc.), snorkeling (a guide took us by dinghy to one of two reefs whenever we wanted), spa, and a 20-minute hike up to a panoramic viewpoint called Mount Royal. We saw the kid’s club from a distance – it looked pretty substantial – with a swimming pool and water slides.

We had an amazing, relaxing time, and can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
7  Thank Keeponflying
Euan C, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Canouan, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2018

Dear Keep on Flying

What a wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed response.

We cannot wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed December 19, 2017

We stayed in a One Bedroom Beachfront Suite which was the most incredible room we have ever seen in the Caribbean and we have been most everywhere. Huge bathrrom, tons of closets and storage space, separate living area, private balcony, etc. The beach is very pretty, nice sand, but the water can be a little wavy being on the windward side of the island. What really made this stay special were the staff who all went out of their way for us. I am sure I will forget someone but Jennifer, Sonia, Koya, Amo, Akins, and Candace at Shell Beach were great! My only small issue was the food. Part of the issue was maybe that it was November and the occupancy was not high but only one restaurant was open each night for dinner and the selections were somewhat limited. I will say that we asked a couple times for a special meal that was not on the menu and they accomodated us nicely.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are hands down the best we have ever stayed in the Caribbean
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kim L

Dear Kim,

Thank you for this review and for telling us how special Jennifer, Sonia, Koya, Amo, Akins, and Candace made you feel. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our accommodations.

Our resort is in the process of becoming Mandarin Oriental, Canouan. It's our intent to bring our brand's legendary service standards in food and beverage (etc) to the resort. During your next visit, we look forward to introducing you to our new restaurant menus and concepts. We hope to have the transition complete by June 1, 2018.

Reviewed November 20, 2017

This is the epitome of luxury. From the minute we arrived until we left, the service was impeccable. I have never experienced the level of friendliness and professionalism from the staff at Pink Sands Club. Everyone - from the airport concierge to the hotel concierge who waved goodbye to us - excelled at their positions. The restaurant and bar personnel remembered what we liked to eat and drink and called us by name, as did the beach staff. The room we had was just as it appeared on the website. The beach is fabulous and the golf and spa are topnotch. We couldn't ask for a better vacation and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the view from the first floor (as opposed to the ground floor).
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Waves27982

Dear Waves27982

Thank you for such a wonderful review. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed September 17, 2017

We arrived on the beautiful island of Canouan 5 minutes before our SVG flight was supposed to take off from St. Lucia. SVG must get an amazing "on time" rating. The driver from Pink Sands Club met us at the tiny airport with cool towels & water to whisk us off to their stunning property.

The approach to the hotel is littered with turtles all out enjoying the late afternoon air. With gentle breezes from the Atlantic it never felt too warm & was always comfortable so who could blame them. Upon arrival we were met with a delicious cocktail made by JeffNeil. After being given a quick tour of the main area's of the hotel we were shown to our rooms.

The beachfront suites are jaw droppingly gorgeous & very hi-tech. All the tech was quite user friendly even for one who often feels it's best to have an 8 year old on hand to show them how to use all the functions. You walk through the dressing room to get to the lovely bathroom & I'm not sure I own enough clothes to fill the closets. The tub is begging you to have a good long soak and the shower has so many spout options that a cold spot is never a worry! There is a nicely stocked minibar with complimentary soft drinks, water, beer, milk, tea, coffee, chocolate, nuts & delicious rum cake that is topped up regularly. The coffee machine is easy to use & has a good variety to chose from. The bedroom is huge and supremely comfortable with Frette linen & pillows. The moveable glass wall that accommodates the TV offers another way to enter the sitting room & enjoy the view/listen to the ocean waves from your bed. We were greeted with a champagne split & trays of canapés & petit fours on the coffee table which didn't last long & a perfect start to our stay. There is a dining table available in the sitting room & on the spacious balcony should you decide to dine in-room. Each night I returned to my room to find naughty petit fours that will do nothing to help your waistline! Sunset reflections & sunrises are amazing from the balcony along with star & moon watching to end the night. I loved the fact that the staff quickly knew without being told we wanted the chairs set up near the railing so we could fully enjoy the view & stopped putting the furniture back where it belonged! This was this sort of seamless service that made Pink Sands very special.

The many long beaches are never packed & we rarely had more than 4 others when sunbathing & were often the only guests there. Each suite is given a golf buggy to get around the 1200 acre property. Getting lost was definitely my favourite part of our stay there plus, like a 12 year old, I loved driving the cart. I came to believe that the staff were warned we have the most horrible sense of direction as after our second journey out it appeared that on every 4th corner there was a member there to help us with directions. I had visions of the reception sending out a warning via walky-talky that "they're on the move again" as such is the level of care that each of them took with us! Not that their directions helped us one little bit & it almost became our mission to get as lost as possible. It really is the only way to see all the vast areas each more beautiful than the last. I'm not a golfer & have a bit of a hatred for the game, but the course is breathtakingly gorgeous & not to be missed. The 13th hole is the best (but not the only by a long shot) place to see the sunset. Have JeffNeil make you the best BBC you'll ever have or give you a bottle of wine to take up there & enjoy.

Breakfast is the best there. I rarely eat breakfast, but the omelettes, benedicts, bacon/sausage and baked goods were too difficult to resist. All presented with a shot of different yummy smoothy each day made by the delightful Dhneeshia (hope I spelt that correctly!). When I return I will definitely have the pancakes with honey butter as I'm now kicking myself that I did not try them. The food cannot be faulted & was impeccable in presentation no matter which restaurant we attended on the property. The singer at dinner has a lovely voice & a perfect playlist.

Pink Sands organised a boat for us to go to Tobago Cay, which is a must when in the area. The Cays are only a 30 minute ride away. The diving/snorkelling is amazing. We saw many fish, turtles & even a Nurse shark! For a pre-Cay snorkel head over to Shell Beach where there are some good fish to view. Don't forget your underwater camera.

Another must is a visit to the spa. I opted for the 85 minute aromatherapy massage which was divine. Wish I'd been there longer to try more treatments.

I shall continue to have my fantasy of one of my children having their wedding in the delightful chapel on the property till I make it happen. It truly is a fairytale setting & I cannot think of a better place to seal your vows.

Thank you Daniel & Jan for all your care & kindness during our too short 5 night stay. You should be commended on the service provided. The staff were invisible, but without fail always there when needed. My sister & I take a yearly holiday with each other & this has to be up there as the best yet. It will be almost impossible to top next year. We wish you all the best of luck in the future which I'm sure you won't need as Pink Sands is a spectacular place. We shall certainly be back.....hopefully for a wedding!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family