“One of the best meals I have ever had, in a very unexpected but lovely setting!”
Review of Food at Wharepuke

Food at Wharepuke
Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Kerikeri
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Wellington
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have never written a review for this site, but felt compelled to after a wonderful experience at this restaurant last night. Tucked away in a lush subtropical garden setting, the restaurant is a hidden gem serving 5 star food that betters most of the other top-end restaurants I have tried. A lovely surprise indeed.

(Mistakening) expecting fairly small portions, we all ordered entrees as well as mains. I had the bluenose kokoda, hubby had the squid salad, and my parents each had a prawn tom yum. Each dish was beautifully flavored and of a generous size. I was already pretty full after my entree, but still managed to demolish my braised beef when it arrived because it was just so incredibly tender and delicious. Hubby and parents were equally impressed with their fish of the day and duck curry respectively. Again, the portions were very generous and we were extremely full and sated. But given the quality of the food so far, we just had to try the award winning dessert and shared the kaffir lime and lemongrass pana cotta as well as the white chocolate parfait between the 4 of us. We were again blown away by the flavours and textures of each dish.

The service was also excellent and we had a wonderful night at this restaurant. The chef Colin is also the owner and this is reflected in the great care and thought that shines through in each dish that he cooks. The lovely food is well supported by his partner and other friendly staff at front of house. This place is a must-visit on any trip to the area. We are even contemplating coming back this way soon just to have another meal here!

• Turkish first
St. George, Utah
“Outstanding food in a subtropical setting”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is worth going out of your way to enjoy this gem of New Zealand beauty, gracious and witty service along with world-class cuisine. We entered via a raised wooden walkway winding through a lush subtropical grove. If possible request a table on the deck to fully experience the ambience.
The oysters were plump, served with a delicious sauce, and we enjoyed the bruschetta with fresh vegetables. For our main dishes, we ordered duck curry and baked eggplant. The duck was prepared with a coconut basil sauce, which was truly delicious. The eggplant was topped with a peanut sauce, with bok choy on the side - without a doubt the best eggplant I have ever had. Everything on the menu looked great.
Quantities were plentiful, but we still found room for one dessert - the white chocolate parfait with the amazing garnishes of carmelized oranges, pistachio praline and chocolate bits.
To round out the meal, we made a selection from the extensive wine list.
FOOD is really a foodie's paradise.

“Pork belly to die for”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We just love this place for all the Thai food. Normally I let the husband have the pork belly, but this time I decided to give it ago. This is the best salad ever, and I love the rose match!

Toronto
“what a great location”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The food was excellent and the location was just as nice. It was great to eat 'al fresco'. The service was also excellent.

Visited February 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
“Devine”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Great service,food was fresh and delicious perfectly presented in a lovely setting.Tropical gardens.