“A brilliant venue!”
Review of Commodore Theater

Commodore Theater
Ranked #1 of 2 Fun & Games in Portsmouth
Reviewed May 22, 2018 via mobile

I came to visit some friends in Virginia (I’m from England) and they brought me here one evening. The theatre itself is such a pleasant and unique experience and I really enjoyed the food. We watched The Avengers - the sound quality is incredible, better than anything I’ve experienced in the UK. I would definitely come back for a visit.

All reviews
"sound quality"
"onion rings"
"table service"
in 5 reviews
"great place to see a movie"
"movie theaters"
in 4 reviews
"beef"

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Would highly recommend spending an evening for dinner and movie at the Commodore Theater. The owner of this theater did a great job restoring it to its original design. We celebrated my birthday here and I’m glad we did. Felt like I was going back in time experiencing something my mom or dad would have experienced in their youth.

We came early in the day as recommended by other viewers to ensure ticket. Wouldn’t had to for this movie but I’m glad we did to ensure great seats and tickets.

We ate the barbecue nachos - they were just ok because the beef was somewhat greasy. However, desserts a must! We shared the granny’s apple pie and tiramisu - really good.

Staff was very friendly. Photos in lobby worth looking at to see history of restoration. Loved the area showing Mickey movie and what it would have looked like when originally opened.

Reviewed March 13, 2018

Comfy, tasty, inexpensive and a GREAT viewing experience. Parking can be problematic but we've been lucky finding spots on the street.

Reviewed March 5, 2018 via mobile

The commodore was great, but I wouldn’t suggest it for younger children. The food was good, and the popcorn was delicious. Great service.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 27, 2018 via mobile

If you really want to do something different with a group of friends or on a date night, please go to the Commodore! This place is a throwback in time in such a classy way. The theater is beautiful and well maintained. This place, to me, puts the newer theater/dining establishments to shame. While not as fancy, you can still get decent food (not gourmet) at tables with small lamps and your chairs move! It’s a very cool set-up.
If you have kids, it is well worth taking them to a place like this to show them how classy things used to be.

Been to Commodore Theater? Share your experiences!