Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historical State Park
Review Highlights
Nice Museum

One of the smaller battlefields but significant in the war. The museum was one of the better ones... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Bobbie201
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Quick stop

We stopped here quick to stretch our legs and give the young kiddos a break. Unfortunately the... read more

Reviewed July 15, 2018
Grussingtravels
via mobile

All reviews field hospital major battle appomattox court house driving tour lee's retreat both sides civil war history visitor's center confederate army union forces a small gift shop general lee great visit surrender overton petersburg buffs
Reviewed February 25, 2017

So thankful we decided to drive over to Sailor's Creek Battlefield. All my sister and I knew was that our great-great grandfather was in the 184th PA and that they were part of the US II Corps. Jim Godburn brought our ancestor's experience in the Appomattox Campaign alive. Jim not only told us what happened where but why. No question was too trivial to be answered. I was concerned that a "Yankee's" story might not be appreciated as much as a southerner but Jim showed great respect and interest in us and our ancestor. We had wonderful afternoon at Sailor's Creek, High Bridge and Cumberland Church.

VaStateParks, Guest Relations Manager at Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historical State Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2017

Thank you so much for writing such a glowing summary of your visit and family history discovery. I will make sure that Jim receives recognition based on your comments.

Reviewed October 9, 2016

This park is evolving and is definitely in process. The staff at the visitor center was outstanding! The visitor center puts the battlefields in perspective to Lee's retreat from Petersburg to Appomattox. Just for that fact alone, it's worth a stop if you're visiting Appomattox, especially if you're coming from the coastal regions.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind though. This is the second state battlefield park that I've visited. So if you're used to NPS parks, this is slightly different. There aren't as many maps on the displays as you may be accustomed to. Also there isn't a tactical level flyer to take with you as you meander about. So if you are a civil war buff, to get the most out of the experience, it's important to orient yourself to the park BEFORE you get there, On other battlefields,I've had a much easier time figuring out who went where. This one was much more challenging, so I don't feel like I got as good an understanding as I could have gotten. That's also my bad for not doing enough homework prior to my visit.

It's a park in process and I think that it will continue to get better over time. I'm definitely glad I visited.

1  Thank NC_Mcycle
VaStateParks, Guest Relations Manager at Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historical State Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2016

Thank you for taking time ti write about your stay. I know prospective visitors will find your tips helpful.

Reviewed October 6, 2016

Intended to spend about an hour here, and stayed all day with things left to see/do. Superb informative rangers whose knowledge of the Civil War was inspirational. Also met the owner (10th generation) of Locketts Farm, whose house became a target and then a hospital for injured of both sides of the conflict. A man of generous spirit!

1  Thank celli_hart
VaStateParks, Guest Relations Manager at Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historical State Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2016

I am so glad you found so much to explore at Sailor's Creek. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with potential visitors.

Reviewed July 5, 2016 via mobile

This was a last minute destination for me. I drove past the sign and decided to check it out. It is in a beautiful setting, very peaceful, and serene. The visitors center is fairly new and has an interactive timeline of events for the battle, as well as a nice variety of books and other items for purchase. The driving tour is lovely. I have been back with a book to just sit under a tree and read and enjoy the landscape.

1  Thank Janet B
VaStateParks, Guest Relations Manager at Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historical State Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Sailor's Creek. I know what you mean about the peacefulness there. It is almost like peace has reclaimed the battlefield.

Reviewed June 6, 2016

A very nice and explanatory visitors center, with a lot of background about the battle for Petersberg and Lee;s withdrawal and how the Union intercepted the various forces. The battleground and surroundings can also be seen on a scenic drive around the park.

1  Thank Ron W
VaStateParks, Guest Relations Manager at Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historical State Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2016

I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to Sailor's Creek State Park. Thanks for taking the time to write a review and share your experience with potential visitors.