“What a dump!”

Add it.
Deli Shoppe & Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The review right below mine was spot on. This place is a total dump. It was low end when it started in the 70s and has not been updated since then. Here is the deal, I love a good hole in the wall dump if the food is good... but this place was not. Not awful mind you just not good. The lasagna had no taste but I was hungry and ate it. One person in my party ordered pizza and said it was good. The service was good and the lady nice. My problem with a place like this is i can't trust the kitchen. There were three couples in this place on a Friday night including my party. If they are cutting corners on the appearance, and they are, what kind of corners are the cutting in the kitchen. There are better options. Go find them.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Okay, here's the thing. I struggle with this review because the service was very good. The server was as sweet as she could be and the whole staff had a look of desperation that just made me feel sorry for them. Read on to understand more.

When my friends and I entered the place, it was a ghost town. Literally it was empty. Not a soul. It was also dark and extremely musky smelling. I was immediately turned off but we were greeted with such eagerness that I hated to turn around and leave.

The food wasn't that good, in my opinion. Something about my sandwich just wasn't right. I think either the mayo or the meat was spoiled so after a few bites I just stopped eating it. I should be fair in saying the other members of my party enjoyed their food.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have loved the Deli Shoppe since I was a kid. They have amazing subs, especially their cold cut one with slaw! To die for! And they have great pizzas and they pile the toppings on! Good salad and breadsticks also! Try it out!

Reviewed January 30, 2012

This place is so tiny amidst a primarily business district that you almost miss it. About a year ago a friend and long-time Roanoker just happened to mentioned he was on his way to the "Deli Shoppe" for his family's weekly pizza treat and raved about the food. It took me a year to make it over there to eat but it was well worth the wait & I was blown away. I also now how have a new favorite pizza in town. We are talking homemade pizza - nothing like the big chain delivery guys. Our pizza was loaded with fresh crunchy vegetables and quality tasting meats. It was so delicious and not greasy. Even their desserts were homemade. Though very old and nothing fancy (& bit of a historic spot in Roanoke) the place is very clean and the service was wonderful - far better than I have received many other places in town. I can't recommend this food enough!

1  Thank acanoles