The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
NC
“Nice but....”
Reviewed 22 March 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night recently when passing through town. Free airport shuttle! I got a single room on the 4th floor (460 maybe?...if any staff reads this) with a king bed. The hotel is really nice walking in the door! The have a really nice bar area and a very sweet bar tender. Had the breakfast buffet the next morning and it was great with plenty of options, eggs made to order with the chef standing by ( only about 6 diners). Price was a bit high, but I would pay it again due to the selection.

The room was very nice! Plenty of space for just me, big bed and actually an assortment of pillows to choose from. Everything was clean and well-kept. Really, the ONLY issue I had with the stay and the reason I rated it only 3 stars is due to the room temperature! I set the thermostat to 70 degrees about 4 hours before bed and the room stayed very comfortable. I went to sleep at about 10pm and awoke, sweating at about 1230am. When I checked the thermostat it registered 85 degrees! I then turned the thermostat down to 68 degrees and struggled back to sleep. When I awoke at 6 am, it was 62 degrees in the room! That's quite a temperature swing! Outside temps were probably 70 degrees for the high and down around 55 for the low. For some reason though that thermostat couldn't keep up and made for a poor night's rest. If I were going back to the area, I'd probably research to see if an other option existed. The price was fine for me (very good government rate) and everything else was close to exceptional, but good rest is most important and I didn't get it.

Stayed March 2012
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear jboomer, thank you for your review of the hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience experienced due to the thermostat and thank you for giving the room number of your stay. We will look into this issue immediately. We do appreciate your patronage and hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Gary Walton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Reviewed 18 March 2012

It wasn't nice enough to justify the price. The furniture and curtains in my room were worn and not on par with other double tree properties I have stayed at. The water pressure fluctuated so did the temperature while taking a shower. Room cleanliness was average. I found a disgusting old golf glove tucked in the wardrobe. I left it for someone else to find. I could here the people in the room next door through the wall on the bathroom. This was first time I've stayed in a room in this price range and not had a refrigerator and microwave. Paying $7 a day to self park in their own lot is rediculous. The breakfast was great! Next time I'm in town ill try another hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear marcardenrichardson, thank you for your review of the hotel. We are disappointed to read your review and apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your stay. We strive daily to provide the absolute best possible service and product to our guests and did not meet those expectations during your stay. I do hope you will give us another chance in the future as we are better than what you experienced.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Our daughter lives in downtown Roanoke and we flew in for a visit, deciding to stay close by, choosing this historic spot. Was it going to be one of those "restored beauties past it's prime"?We were delighted to discover that it has retained the authenticity and flavor of its past while adding the best of today's amenities and technology, resulting in a truly exceptional property. The rooms are beautifully appointed, as well as all of the public spaces; everything is spotless, and the staff do a remarkable job of making you feel as though you are their only guest. I can't say enough about how hard they work. And they may be the most sincere and hospitable hotel group I've ever encountered. Thanks to you all!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DLRoadMaster
Dear DLRoadMaster, thank you for your review of the hotel. We love reading reviews such as yours as they exemplify the level of service and standards we strive to present to our guests everyday. It is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you can get back to visit your daughter again soon! Downtown Roanoke has been making some amazing strides the past couple of years and there is so much to do and see.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We had stayed in a Doubletree the night before in Asheville but hasn't booked anything for Roanoke and this was recommended by someone in Starbucks. The room was excellent, very nicely decorated. We went into the downtown area for dinner which was easily accessed by a bridge. Every thing was really lovely. It is a huge hotel with conference facilities so I would imagine it could get very busy at times. My only gripe is (and this for other hotels too) is why isn't there free wifi in the rooms. There is in the lobby so at least you can access but even the cheaper motorway motels have free wifi so why not other more expensive hotels. Gripe over and I still think the hotel was great.

• Stayed March 2012
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear CD323, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope if you're in the area again, you'll choose us for your accommodations. We understand your issue and it is a topic that we are currently addressing, but in the meantime, WIFI access is available in the lobby and in public areas complimentary.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This hotel is a historic structure that is close to downtown and has a walkway to the shops and restaurants in the Market Place. The lobby is lovely with beautiful traditional furnishings and historic murals. I had a jr king suite which was a great value for the money. It had two separate rooms each with a flat screen t.v. The bathroom was on the smaller side but functional and the room had a lovely view of the courtyard and one of the historic churches. The service was outstanding. The check in process was quick and easy, and my room service was on time and the food was good (although I did think the portions were small relative to the pricing). The shrimp cocktail was $12.00 and only had 3 shrimp. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. The fitness center contained 5 treadmills and two elipticals as well as free weights and a squat rack and opened on to the pool. This hotel has been the host location for the Miss Virginia contest. If you are traveling to Roanoke this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Try a jr king suite facing the court yard.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Susan R, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay! We have a proud heritage here in the Roanoke Valley and have been hosting the contestants from the Miss Virginia Pageant since 1953. I hope if you find yourself this way in the future you will choose us for your accommodations.

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I stayed here while attending the conference. A far as the conference area was concerned, it was a nice location and easy to walk to from the lobby. The location of the hotel itself was very good -easy to access from 81 and attached to a walking bridge to get to a downtown area with many restaurants. The rooms are incredibly small, but for just me, it was fine. Luckily, I opted against bringing my husband and young son. My biggest gripe was the fact that my room was located directly above the bar, and it was SO LOUD!!! I ended up downloading a white noise app, blasting it next to my ear, and my pillow was still vibrating from the bass. This went on until after 1:30am, which made getting up for my 8:15 presentation very difficult. I imagine my stay would have been much different had I been in a different location, but I can't imagine I'm the first person to have this issue. That being said, if you stay at this hotel, make sure your room isn't on the second floor!!!M

• Stayed March 2012
Dear uklkb, thank you for your review of the Hotel. We strive daily to provide the absolute best possible guest experience and did not live up to our expectations during your stay. I apologize for the inconvenience of noise coming from The Pine Room Pub. Thank you for addressing the situation and we will be discussing this review with our team to try to ensure this does not happen again.

Sawyer Michigan
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Quite the history in this old place, updated and well maintained close to downtown next to a glass walkway and lots of restaurants. The wood work and history and photographs present a great history of the old place as it changed hands over time.

Room Tip: Executive floor is near the gym and executive lounge.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear John C, thank you for your review of the Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the history of our historic hotel and hope if your travels bring you to Roanoke again, you will choose us for your accommodations.