“Beautiful, but some flaws”

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Manning, SC
“Beautiful, but some flaws”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

This is a beautiful and majestic place. A wonderful place for a wedding, reception, conference or other event. However, from the hotel side of things, there were problems for me.

Pros - Nice rooms with nice furniture. Well functioning AC. Nice catering staff and valets.

Cons - Must pay for internet in your room (wifi or wired). Lack of cleanliness. Lack of courtesy at front desk. "free" internet in the lobby requires a password which means you have to stand in line again to get it. Parking is $7 for self-park or $12 for valet.

Let me explain the lack of cleanliness. When I went to take my shower this morning, I realized there was a damp, used washcloth hanging on the shower rod curtain. I was the only one in the room and I had not used it so it was either the prior resident or a maid. Either way, that is just gross. Since they do not have plastic wrapped plastic cups and use glass water glasses in the room, it made me really worried whether those glasses had been washed! As I was checking out, I told the lady at the front desk and she just said "oh, I will be sure to tell housekeeping." I was shocked, not an apology or an offer of free parking or darn near anything but just a statement she would let housekeeping know. I said "Ma'am, a used washcloth on the shower curtain is just nasty." She said that yes it was and she would put in a report right away. I walked off stunned at their lack of concern.

The night before, while travelling to Roanoke, I stayed in a room that was less than $50. It had free parking, free high speed internet, and an actual clean room. Here, I paid roughly 3 times that, had a parking fee, an internet fee and a room with someone's used washcloth hanging from my shower curtain rod. Where would you stay next time?

The rating is higher than it would have been since the valet people were very nice and so was the catering staff. The food at the banquet was not that good but the catering staff was working hard. Also, the sheer beauty of the facility counts for something but like the saying that beauty is only skin deep, beneath the beautiful exterior is not a place I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Paxvilleboy, thank you for your review of the hotel and I apologize personally for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. It is completely unacceptable by our standards for the issue you encountered. We strive daily to present the absolute best in customer service and hospitality product and fell woefully short during your stay. I am sharing you review with our staff as this is not an acceptable experience for our guests.

Gary Walton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

A quick one night stay on the way to Charlotte. I used points -requested a gold upgrade to execute floor and was accommodated even though hotel was at capacity. The hotel is beautiful. The room was really comfortable and really well appointed. We had dinner in the pub and the service was excellent - it was old and beautiful. I had a great salad and husband had wings and chips. Breakfast in the executive lounge was perfect. Very fresh cut fruit and good fresh pastries. There were a few other options. Excellent hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Baltimorefamily4, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad you chose us for your accommodations in Roanoke and do hope that if you are ever in our area again you will again choose to stay at our facility.

Safe Travels,
Jeremiah, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Love the hotel, room was clean, bed was super comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Great restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night recently when passing through town. Free airport shuttle! I got a single room on the 4th floor (460 maybe?...if any staff reads this) with a king bed. The hotel is really nice walking in the door! The have a really nice bar area and a very sweet bar tender. Had the breakfast buffet the next morning and it was great with plenty of options, eggs made to order with the chef standing by ( only about 6 diners). Price was a bit high, but I would pay it again due to the selection.

The room was very nice! Plenty of space for just me, big bed and actually an assortment of pillows to choose from. Everything was clean and well-kept. Really, the ONLY issue I had with the stay and the reason I rated it only 3 stars is due to the room temperature! I set the thermostat to 70 degrees about 4 hours before bed and the room stayed very comfortable. I went to sleep at about 10pm and awoke, sweating at about 1230am. When I checked the thermostat it registered 85 degrees! I then turned the thermostat down to 68 degrees and struggled back to sleep. When I awoke at 6 am, it was 62 degrees in the room! That's quite a temperature swing! Outside temps were probably 70 degrees for the high and down around 55 for the low. For some reason though that thermostat couldn't keep up and made for a poor night's rest. If I were going back to the area, I'd probably research to see if an other option existed. The price was fine for me (very good government rate) and everything else was close to exceptional, but good rest is most important and I didn't get it.

Stayed March 2012
Dear jboomer, thank you for your review of the hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience experienced due to the thermostat and thank you for giving the room number of your stay. We will look into this issue immediately. We do appreciate your patronage and hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

It wasn't nice enough to justify the price. The furniture and curtains in my room were worn and not on par with other double tree properties I have stayed at. The water pressure fluctuated so did the temperature while taking a shower. Room cleanliness was average. I found a disgusting old golf glove tucked in the wardrobe. I left it for someone else to find. I could here the people in the room next door through the wall on the bathroom. This was first time I've stayed in a room in this price range and not had a refrigerator and microwave. Paying $7 a day to self park in their own lot is rediculous. The breakfast was great! Next time I'm in town ill try another hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear marcardenrichardson, thank you for your review of the hotel. We are disappointed to read your review and apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your stay. We strive daily to provide the absolute best possible service and product to our guests and did not meet those expectations during your stay. I do hope you will give us another chance in the future as we are better than what you experienced.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Our daughter lives in downtown Roanoke and we flew in for a visit, deciding to stay close by, choosing this historic spot. Was it going to be one of those "restored beauties past it's prime"?We were delighted to discover that it has retained the authenticity and flavor of its past while adding the best of today's amenities and technology, resulting in a truly exceptional property. The rooms are beautifully appointed, as well as all of the public spaces; everything is spotless, and the staff do a remarkable job of making you feel as though you are their only guest. I can't say enough about how hard they work. And they may be the most sincere and hospitable hotel group I've ever encountered. Thanks to you all!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DLRoadMaster
Dear DLRoadMaster, thank you for your review of the hotel. We love reading reviews such as yours as they exemplify the level of service and standards we strive to present to our guests everyday. It is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you can get back to visit your daughter again soon! Downtown Roanoke has been making some amazing strides the past couple of years and there is so much to do and see.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We had stayed in a Doubletree the night before in Asheville but hasn't booked anything for Roanoke and this was recommended by someone in Starbucks. The room was excellent, very nicely decorated. We went into the downtown area for dinner which was easily accessed by a bridge. Every thing was really lovely. It is a huge hotel with conference facilities so I would imagine it could get very busy at times. My only gripe is (and this for other hotels too) is why isn't there free wifi in the rooms. There is in the lobby so at least you can access but even the cheaper motorway motels have free wifi so why not other more expensive hotels. Gripe over and I still think the hotel was great.

• Stayed March 2012
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear CD323, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope if you're in the area again, you'll choose us for your accommodations. We understand your issue and it is a topic that we are currently addressing, but in the meantime, WIFI access is available in the lobby and in public areas complimentary.