“Would have expected more for the money”

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Would have expected more for the money”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My mother, my sisters, and I went to Hotel Roanoke on a girls overnight trip. We spent the extra money and stayed on the Executive Floor so we could have access to the executive lounge. Let me start out with the good things. All the food that was provided from the cookie when arriving, the hors d'oeuvres at night, and breakfast in the morning was excellent. Also the bed was really comfy and I loved the fact that the gym had individually wrapped headphones. The outside of the hotel and all of the common areas were beautiful and pristine.

On to the bad. For what we paid for the rooms I would have expected so much more. Though I can say that if you complain, they are really quick to try and make it up to you. From our rooms we could see the train station and at night there is a train that goes by every 2 hours AT LEAST. Hope you're not a light sleeper like my sister. I on the other hand travel with a box fan for ambient noise, thank goodness. We also had an AC leakage in one of the rooms that was dripping all through the night. We thought it was really cool that you could order movies through your TV that were still in the theater, but the movie we ordered was $20 before tax and it was choppy and very pixelated. (management took that off of our bill) Lastly, they are not to kind to people who do not pay the extra money to use valet parking. When we pulled up to the hotel, we were told that we had to move our car before we even checked in because they were about to be very busy. They even hassled us about wanting to unload our baggage before the car was moved.

Room Tip: For a good night's sleep, request a room that does not look over the train station.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank meoughkat3
GaryWalton, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear meoughkat3, Thank you for your comments and feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed much of your stay...and appreciate your recognition of our staff's effort to be responsive to concerns when brought to our attention. We will follow up and address the challenges shared about your arrival and parking as you should indeed not have been rushed.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Medford, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

I wish I had stayed more than one night, to have time to explore the area. Right across from the hotel was a bridge to take you over the train tracks, and over to the marketplace section of Roanoake, where there were many nice restaurants and shops. I ended up eating in the pub restaurant of the hotel, and had a very good Cobb salad and local ale. The room was very comfortable and clean. I enjoyed the warm cookie they gave you at check in. The only criticism is that one of the glasses in the room had remnants of a woman's lipstick on it , not completely cleaned away. Luckily I was already awake when one of the trains blew its horn. It was silent all night, but there was a horn blast around 8am.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear ComputerGeek60, thank you for your review of the hotel. Please accept my apology for the glass, that is not up to our standards and this issue will be addressed immediately. We did love your first line as we feel there are so many wonderful things happening and coming to Downtown Roanoke that we are excited to be the gateway for. I hope you can come back to the area again soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

The Hotel Roanoke is a beautiful structure with excellent service. From the moment we pulled up, the staff was friendly and helpful. Since we travel by motorcycle, and can look a little worn by the time we get to the hotel, I wasn't sure what to expect. The staff greeted us warmly, gave us excellent parking on the veranda, and even warm chocolate chip cookies!

There's an enclosed walkway over the railroad tracks providing easy access to the downtown area. We were there on a Sunday night and didn't know what would be open, so we ate in the hotel pub. A little pricey, so next time we'll walk downtown for food.

Breakfast was excellent also.

We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank 2007st1300
Dear 2007st1300, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad you found the hotel accessible via motorcycle and that you enjoyed your stay. There is a motorcycle festival that takes place each Spring that is a great experience for our region. I hope you can come back again soon!

Safe Travels,
Toronto
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel. When we arrived I was pleasantly surprised at the appearance of the exterior of the building which is beautiful. However for the price I was disappointed with the state of the room. The room needed some repairs such as ripped wallpaper, painting that should be attended to. When we woke up the next morning I had a bite on my arm and a spot of blood on the white sheets so I was a little concerned about this.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Saffi_10, thank you for your review of the hotel, I apologize for the issues you experienced. There is no excuse for any guest room to not be in perfect condition and this is by no means close to the standard or product we strive to present daily. We always appreciate knowing of any issues during stays and are thankful you shared this with us. This will be addressed with our staff and taken care of immediately to prevent this from happening again.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed 24 May 2012

From top to bottom, inside and out, this hotel is about the experience. Staff is gracious and helpful. From the parking valet, to checkout, there is a gentility expressed by the staff. The room was wonderful with either antique or antique-styled furniture including logo carved HR into the headboard. Plenty of outlets demonstrate the updated infrastructure of the hotel. Eating in the restaurant made me glad my mother taught me some manners, for it made me feel appreciative of the experience. I was there for a convention and several breakout meetings. I never witnessed a glitch or problem during my three days.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Thomas M, thank you for your review of the hotel and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Your review is a great example of the service, offering and product we wish to deliver to our guests on a everyday from the hotel side to the restaurant side. I hope your convention went smoothly and you find yourself in Roanoke again in the near future.

Virginia
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The Hotel Roanoke has been a reknowned Roanoke hotel since the 19th century. The most recent renovation has returned it to its earlier glory. The rooms are spacious and well stocked. The amenities and activities available at the hotel are ample and up-to-date. In addition, the hotel connects by enclosed walkway to an active downtown scene of excellent restautrants, bars, art galleries, museums and an outdoor Farmers Market.

The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and very courteous.

Room Tip: Tip: choose the upgrade option for a larger room and/or a room in the Executive wing (free breakfast...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Sunset2b, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the great overview for other travelers looking to stay here. We couldn't have said it any shorter or sweeter! I hope you have an opportunity to come back and stay with us again in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My husband and I stayed in Hotel Roanoke for one night during our trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. We selected this hotel mainly because of it's historical background but also because of their location (downtown, very convenient to the restaurants), reasonable rates and our positive experience with Hilton hotels. Hotel Roanoke did not disappoint. The hotel is beautiful and very well maintained. Staff is welcoming and helpful. They were sold out on the night we were there due to a large wedding but despite large number of guests, the check-in was quick and staff very efficient. The only reason they lost one star is the noise. It's an older hotel and the soundproofing is not as good as could be desired. It appears that a large number of wedding guests had rooms on our floor and every time they talked in the hallway or open and close one of their doors, we could hear them in our room. This was not a huge issue and something to be expected.
We had breakfast in their Regency Room next morning and breakfast buffet was good. I only wish that their omelet station had a more experienced chef but it was outweighed by their signature muffins which were heavenly, especially the carrot raisin with organic honey. I would not mind one of them right now!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Galaxy775, thank you for your review of the Hotel. Thank you for addressing your issues regarding noise levels, it is an inconvenience and I apologize for it. It is an ongoing issue that is being addressed by our team. I hope you continue to seek the Hilton Brand and the family of brands within Hilton. I hope you have also looked into being a HHonors member. I hope you enjoyed your time on the parkway and thank you for choosing us for your lodging needs when traveling through the area. We hope you can make it back again soon!

Safe Travels,