“Very relaxing stay”

Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed at this hotel while traveling through the area on business/pleasure. Very nice and user friendly. Great access to places to eat and shopping if needed near by. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

Because a/c was NOT working we were force to check out at 2 am. Later we were charge $150 additional. They said we smoked in the room. Neither one of us smoke. I have called and they refuse to remove either charge.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

For all of you reading this review thinking "Oh, that wasn't very nice of this hotel to charge the guest for smoking", let me explain what really happened:

I am very strict on our smoking policy. We do not permit anyone to smoke in the building, including the rooms. If a guest smokes in the room, we aren't able to rent that room the next day because of the work and time required to completely remove the smoke odor. Our guests simply do not want to smell smoke and we are adamant that anyone that does smoke will be charged a smoking fine.

Sometimes we detect a minor odor, sometimes we walk in to a room that has ashes, cigarette butts and such a strong odor that we have to shut the room down and completely deep clean it. That was the case with this particular guest. If I'm not sure they smoked, if maybe I'm only smelling an slight odor that came from the guests clothes, then I don't charge. But simply put, if it effects our ability to rent the room to another guest the next day, or even if a current guest near the smokers' room complains (sometimes resulting in a refund), then I'm going to charge! I personally inspect each room reported as having been smoked in and this particular guest absolutely either smoked...or allowed one of their guests to smoke.

When all of our guests register, we ask them to read and sign our smoking policy. This guest was fully made aware of our policy. Perhaps they didn't take it seriously, but we do. The good news is: If you stay with us, your room will not smell like smoke. We make sure of that!

I cannot comment on the broken air conditioner, because I didn't know anything about that. Nothing was reported during their stay and since reading this review, I've checked it and it is working fine. Slipping out in the middle of the night after heavily smoking in the room is a bit different than their story, but that is what really happened. Thanks for reading our side.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I stay here when I play with Roanoke Symphony, for days at a time. These folks bend over backwards to make your stay comfortable. It is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in (my job makes me travel a lot and I stay in lots of hotels.) The indoor pool is super relaxing and just the right size for short laps, and the breakfast is top notch as far as hotel breakfasts are concerned. The rooms are very spacious and decorated beautifully, and fully equipped with all the modern amenities to make you feel at home. The front desk staff were super friendly and the cleaning staff practically begged to clean my room every day, and always left it sparkling. The manager of this place must take great pride in their work, because the employees are so hospitable and seem to genuinely be concerned about the comfort and care of their customers.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My gps had à hard time finding this ,
The hotel was laying near THE Mall of roanoke, and everything of services is therefor close. THE room was ok, and THE service too...ahorribel storm knocked out à lot of threes even on the parking lot,but THE personal secured THE situation quickly. Well done !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I am a resident of Roanoke; we stayed here during the recent wind storm which caused a week long power outage. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The staff is exceptional! Everyone was friendly and helpful - a special "shout out" to Julia in the breakfast room. She was so cordial and went out of her way to ensure everyone had what they needed. In a day of poor customer service, it was so refreshing to find a place where everyone was so great. I would recommend this hotel to any of my family or friends visiting the Roanoke area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Our first stay here was summer 2011. We were so pleased with the cleanilness of our pet room we returned this past June. A year has gone by and they still maintain a clean, odorless pet room! We are returning again in September. Can't say enough good things about the well maintained hotel - inside and out. Staff is very pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This hotel has nice rooms, we had a suite with a wonderful recliner....that was the best piece of furniture.
The hotel breakfast is nice, too.
However, what makes this hotel some place I would visit again is the customer service! Hotel staff like Kristen who works the breakfast as well as the front desk manager were awesome!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family