“They made being stranded relatively painless.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Richmond Airport Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Seattle, Washington
“They made being stranded relatively painless.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

Delta put me up at this hotel when my flight was cancelled and they were unable to get me set up on another flight that day.

Arriving, I had high hopes for a nice room. The hotel seems quite nice as you enter and the staff was sympathetic about my flight situation and very nice in general. Check in was easy and my cookie was tasty.

The room was larger than I expected, having a nice separate sitting room at the entrance, and was very clean and comfortable. That said, the reason such an otherwise nice room was being used for airline comp was immediately apparent. In the area where the bed was located the ceiling next to (but not directly above) the bed appeared to have suffered some kind of water damage and there was a wall to wall seam where the paint/ finish had flaked away. There was also a portion of the carpet next to the wall where there was a perfect imprint of where someone had let a hot iron sit long enough to melt the fibers.

Now to be clear, I really didn’t mind these two minor flaws in the room. The room was free, comfortable, and clean. The service was great and I’m sure that if I had said anything, they would have moved me to a room with a better aesthetic. I only mention this at all in the interests of offering a complete and honest review of my stay.

While I was there I did order a pulled pork sandwich from room service. The food arrived promptly, was nice and hot, and tasted fine. Folks should be aware that the hotel does accept airline meal vouchers, but only for the meal listed on the voucher. I had one for dinner and one for lunch, but only was able to use the one for dinner due to how late I arrived.

When checking out, I left before the regular shuttle schedule started but the driver was more than happy to take me to the airport right away.

Room Tip: If minor flaws like the ones I describe are unacceptable to you, be sure to just give the room a onc...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BigIrishGod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Abingdon, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed two nights at this property. This is my second stay here, but first review. Like other reviewers have noted, nothing to write home about. This Doubletree provides basic comfortable hotel accommodations and friendly and helpful staff. Bruce at check-in is always pleasant and welcomes you back. My fifth floor king suite was comfortable. There was a refrigerator in the room, but no microwave. The location is across from remote airport parking and relatively quiet. There are not many exciting dining options in the immediate vicinity, but a short drive to White Oak Town Center has an abundance of restaurant and shopping choices. Unlike, other Doubletree properties, this property does not provide a free breakfast to HH Diamond members. Your HH perks include two mini bottles of water. The standard chocolate chip cookie was not as warm as I recall, but I did check in after 9 pm. While, I had my own transportation, the hotel advertises that they provide complimentary shuttle service within a 3 mile radius, 24 hours a day. There is a full-service restaurant which I have only used for breakfast. On this stay, I ordered an omelette, tea and sausage for $15.00, a rub, because I expect at a minimum, free breakfast at Diamond-level. I had no connection issues with the complimentary wireless service. Overall, staying back-to-back at Doubletree properties over the last two weeks provided a stark contrast in amenities between this property and the Doubletree Tarrytown where I stayed last week. I noticed other Hilton properties in the area and am more likely to try out those on my return visit.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ladyinmaryland
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

I picked this hotel for its location (just opposite the Richmond airport), so it definitely wins points for being convenient. The staff displayed typical southern hospitality - perhaps too intrusive and sugar-coated by non-U.S. standards, but certainly preferable to apathy. Being handed a warm cookie at 9pm was about the last thing I wanted after a long day of travel, but that's a personal preference and each guest can choose how they wish to experience that welcome gesture. Craving instead a nice dinner accompanied by a glass of wine, my colleague and I set off to the restaurant, encouraged by the front desk clerk's spontaneous pronouncement of how good the food was there. Don't expect much. The restaurant staff was willing and sincere; the food was tired and disappointing. But again, if convenience is a priority, then you might make do with the restaurant. There was certainly a wide variety of menu items. We had the crab cakes, but they barely compared to ones you can get in downtown Richmond restaurants that are fresher and more flavorful.

The rooms, as other reviewers have pointed out, have a tired, dated feel but are generally comfortable and functional. The public spaces are clean and pleasant.

Breakfast was as disappointing as dinner. The cheery staff helped make the experience more palatable, but the lack of good coffee (don't look for any cappuccini!) and a poor selection of fresh fruit (green bananas and shrivelled apples) didn't win points from us. But it's more convenient than the alternative of fighting Richmond rush-hour traffic to find a breakfast place.

Overall a forgettable experience at a hotel that certainly has some merit: convenience, nice staff, clean accommodations. Would I return if on business in the area and needed an airport hotel? Maybe. Would I carefully consider other possibilities? Most definitely.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
layton UT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

The staff here is quite good and accomodating. The place is a bit poorly decorated, needs a little sprucing up decorating wise. who ever painted this place was a lousy painter. but the rooms are quite comfortable and everything is clean. there is a general lack of attention to detail. Ice machine on my floor broke and was never fixed in the following 3 nights i stayed there. one day I found my bed wasn't made. for some reason housekeeping quit halfway, and left a pile of new sheets on my TV cabinet. I called the front desk, they say housekeeping came up, but i was out so they didn't come in. Why? the water is not hot enough at times for a good shower.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bobcat128
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

In most cases you get what you pay for, but here you get way more than that. Property is in great shape from a maintenance standpoint, friendly staff, large rooms and very comfy beds-right on the airport's doorsteps. We only stayed one night, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone has a different experience, but we couldn't find a downside here. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank romadaro
Quinton, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

We called looking for space just as Hurricane Irene began her assault on VA. The only room available was the "Presidential Suite". Staff was friendly upon arrival. However, when we arrived at our "Presidential Suite" what greeted us was hardly "Presidential". First, there bare bulbs in the fixtures in the ceiling, no cover, just bare bulbs. Not one picture on any wall throughout the "suite". There was one very old, very dusty, very dilpidated silk plant in each bathroom. The in room refrigerator was a tiny cube sitting on the counter top in the kitchen. The coffee maker in the room did not work. Living room had very dated furniture and the tv hanging on the wall received only about 1/4 of the channels that the tv in the bedroom received. Bedroom consisted of a very nice, very plush, king size bed and in-room jacuzzi tub. The jacuzzi had one of the controls broken off that controlled the jets. Our tv in the bedroom of the suite was very old and housed in an armoire that had the doors torn off, yet the magnets and hinge hardware were still visible. The "suite" had a full bathroom and a half bath. The shower in the full bath had the single handle to control the water temperature and this handle was reversed. Hot was cold, Cold was HOT. When you pull the handle to turn the water on the whole handle, pipes behind the shower and all comes with it. I brought all of this to the attention of the front desk. The folks sent up someone from "engineering" whom I ran this littany of problems down to. In response I was offered a couple of coupons for a free cookie. Yes, a free cookie. Most Doubletree experiences have been positive but this one was absolutely not. Presidential Suite, extremely laughable, VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Room Tip: Ask to see and tour your room before accepting.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Upper Marlboro
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

During our last few trips to Richmond, we stayed at Hyatt Place, but they were booked, so we went back to the trusty Doubletree. I requested a suite, since it wasn't much more than the regular room. The room was a nice size, but the bathroom was horrible. It seems like it had extensive water damage, and was fixed by an amateur. I think I could've done a better job. There was grout/mold/or whatever that was, in quite a few spots and it was just gross. Since we were only there 2 days, I didn't even bother to complain, which is so unlike me. We ran out of toilet paper and we needed more towels, so the next morning we went to the front desk to get more and was told that housekeeping wasn't in yet and they don't have access. What? I'm pretty sure I recall them telling us that if we needed anything before 9 am and after 3 pm to go to the front desk, and what hotel staff doesn't have access to anything until the housekeeping staff comes in? Needless to say I was not a happy camper. Thank goodness those 2 days flew by, and most of our time was spent at basketball games. I don't think I'll ever stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DawnAGM, Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2015
Hello Mr. Anthony,

Please contact the hotel directly to share your views with the hotels safety standards with the general manager. You are also welcome to contact him via email dave.richmondairporthotel@gmail.com. We strive to make sure that all of our guest are safe and comfortable. We hope to see you back soon as would like to prove that this is exactly what we do.
Dawn Campbell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
0.9 km away
2.1 km away
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
1.9 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport

Been to Richmond Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!