“Too unsafe and awful, had to leave”

Richmond Airport Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Reviewed 30 September 2015 via mobile

My wife and I needed to stay overnight in the area as we were coming from Baltimore and on our way to the outer banks. We made reservations through Groupon since they had a $79 one-night stay deal. We called the hotel ahead to let them know that we will be checking in late. When we got to the hotel at around 10pm, we felt so unsafe as there were so many random bystanders around the hotel entrance, and towards the side of the hotel where it was dimly lit. A lot of suspicious looking folks that didn't look like they were hotel guests.

We parked at the lot to observe a little more, before finally deciding that for our own safety, we were not going to go in and stay there even though we have paid for our room and our fee was non-refundable. You can imagine how exhausted we were from driving, (my wife also happens to be pregnant) and yet to us, it was that BAD, that we simply turned around and left.

We went to stay at the Hampton Inn instead which was less than 2 miles down the road, on the other side of
the airport (much much safer and without suspicious looking bystanders!). We were very lucky that Hampton had a room available.

I would definitely caution if you are planning to stay in this place to look somewhere else. We said goodbye to our $90 total after taxes and said to ourselves, "charge to experience."

Hopefully this helps.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anthony J
DawnAGM, Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2015

Thank you so much for your recent comments about our hotel. Anytime we can receive feedback whether a compliment or constructive criticism we truly appreciate it. When we fall short, we do sincerely apologize. Without feedback like this we can not reach our goal of providing accommodations that exceed our guests' expectations. We do take great pride in our hotel and want to always provide the very best for our loyal guests, like yourself. Please free to contact me directly at dave.richmondairporthotel@gmail.com! Thank you again and safe travels

Reviewed 28 September 2015

This is a great place to stay if you have an early morning flight out of RIC. Rooms are comfy and clean. They have changed the menu in the restaurant. There isn't as good a selection as there was in the past. But there are several places within a short drive to get a good meal. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and your stay with us. I am always very pleased to hear that our guests have enjoyed their time at our property. We shall continue to strive to be worthy of your praise as we enter a new phase and update our rooms and facilities. I am also glad to hear that our staff was able to quickly and satisfactorily address the one issue that did arise - your initial room being too warm, it is our goal to do all we can as quickly as we can to correct any shortcomings any of our guests encounter. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a positive review, and for allowing us to meet your hospitality needs while you were in the Richmond area. If I can be of any further assistance to you, I am at your service. You may contact me at either (804) 226-6400 or dave.richmondairporthotel@gmail.com.

Reviewed 15 September 2015

This was the only hotel available at the airport during NASCAR weekend. The staff was terrific. The restaurant good service and food. The hotel itself is dated. The elevator was dirty. Overall it was adequate

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family

We thank you so much for your kind words and continued patronage of our property. We always strive to meet our guest's needs, and we're glad to know we have been able to do that for you. Please do join us again when your travel plans bring you back in our vicinity. If I can be of service to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me - my personal email is dave.richmondairporthotel@gmail.com Thank you again and safe travels.

Reviewed 12 August 2015

I was looking for a hotel for an overnight stop in Richmond. I found this hotel on expedia at $62 a night. The check in was to most challenging part, not because of the staff but the awesome band playing in the lounge. They were a little loud in the lobby but yippy couldn't here them while in the room. Room was spacious and clean desperate living room and bedroom. Small fridge was nice. The bed slept very well and we rose rested and ready to continue our travels. If I need a hotel in Richmond this is first on my list.

Room Tip: We had a room on the fourth floor which was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your recent comments about our hotel. Anytime we can receive feedback whether a compliment or constructive criticism we truly appreciate it. When we fall short, we do sincerely apologize. Without feedback like this we can not reach our goal of providing accommodations that exceed our guests' expectations. We do take great pride in our hotel and want to always provide the very best for our loyal guests, like yourself. Please free to contact me directly at dave.richmondairporthotel@gmail.com Thank you again and safe travels

Reviewed 22 July 2015

I was impressed with the excellent service I received when I stayed here because AMerican Airlines had to reroute my trip. AMerican gave me a voucher for a room, and two meals. The room that this hotel put me in was amazing and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. THey even had a shuttle to take me from the airport to the hotel and then had one waiting for me the next morning to take me back to the airport. Food in their restaurant was delicious.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank yarnwoman
ServiceandQuality, General Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2015

Thank you so much for your kind words and review of our hotel and the service you received. We are always glad to be able to help travelers whose plans are disrupted and need a place to stay until the situation is resolved and they can be on their way. I am pleased that you found our property to be that "port in a storm" - so to speak - that you needed. I trust you will visit us by choice the next time your travels bring you to the Richmond area. If I can be of service to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me at dave.richmondairporthotel@gmail.com or at (804) 226-6400. I am at your service. Dave Johnson, General Manager.

Reviewed 16 July 2015

Hotel was nicer than other hotel in the area. Very close to the airport...Our first was very hot, nice lady Deanna so kindly change our room. There was a live jazz band one night during our stay... Full breakfast buffet and dinner...$10. Pool, business center, room service...nice for the price...

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
ServiceandQuality, General Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2015

Reviewed 11 July 2015 via mobile

This is a pretty basic place. The location is very convenient as it is only about 1 minute from the airport. Bed was comfy and shower had good water pressure. It was kinda blah overall but at $100 the price is a good value for a one night stopover.

Stayed: July 2015

Thank you very much for your kind words about our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and were pleased with your accommodations. We do find that our location is a great benefit to our guests, being as close as we are to many conveniences - particularly the airport itself - does make everything about being away from home a little easier to bear. Your notes about our Friday night "Jazz Nights" were most excellent, and I believe they will serve other travelers that are headed our way for a weekend stay. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of service to you in any way in the future at either dave.richmondairporthotel@gmail.com or (804) 226-6400. My best wishes to you for safe and uneventful travel in your future.
Dave Johnson, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
0.9 km away
1.9 km away
Holiday Inn Express Richmond Airport
2.1 km away
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport

Been to Richmond Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!