“OMG - Beyond your expectations”
Review of Bistro 1888

Bistro 1888
Ranked #2 of 54 Restaurants in South Boston
Price range: US$15 - US$24
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2016

It has been several years since I have eaten at the Bistro but I was entertaining someone special from out of town and we had already eaten at our top restaurants during the week so I ventured to South Boston to the Bistro 1888. I have eaten salmon in my travels everywhere BUT this grilled salmon on Arugula with a ginger garlic sauce and balsamic glace was AMAZING. I do eat a great deal of salmon and my expectations were "this will probably be good" BUT OMG I wanted to savor every bite. One person in our party had the pork loin with apples and also said it was distinctively different and very, very good. I am just sorry I haven't been going there more often and probably missing some delightful meals. Our dessert was the creme brulee and it was also perfect. Just the right touch to the end of a meal; even though I would like to see more restaurants offer a cheese/fruit platter at the end of a meal. If you haven't been here in a while, PLEASE take the time to go back; and if you have never been - make the effort, the drive, the trip and you won't be disappointed. At the beginning the service appeared to be a "get you in and out" when we asked to have our cocktails, etc. spaced a bit, the serve understood. We arrived about 8 pm and they are open until 9:30; there were vacant tables while we were there so I didn't feel like we were keeping other diners from coming in. When I order a cocktail, I usually like a few minutes to enjoy it before they bring out a salad, etc.

Date of visit: June 2016
4  Thank Margaret M

Reviewed June 4, 2016

Stopped here with a colleague on recommendations from clients. Good food, good service. Nice atmosphere for a casual or fancy dinner

Date of visit: May 2016
2  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed May 15, 2016 via mobile

Our family was in town for a college graduation & picked Bistro 1888 because of Trip Advisor. I emailed Barbara months before for a reservation & she was very happy to confirm. Leading up to the weekend, we reconfirmed & Barbara was gracious to call me back to offer & recommend to us her private dining room given our group size! WOW, perfect for our family group!!! The drinks & appetizers were wonderful, followed up with the absolute best meal. The filets, salmon & southern shrimp dishes were fantastic! We hope to find our way back there somedays. Cheers Barbara!!

Date of visit: May 2016
6  Thank AtwoodK
Reviewed April 21, 2016

Delicious food. Filet mignon, chocolate soufflé. Good wine, Great atmosphere. Excellent service. Gluten free menu for me
What more do you need.

Date of visit: April 2016
6  Thank Leigh T
Reviewed April 18, 2016

We go to VIR 2-3 times a year & always eat here at least once - this trip we went 3 times. Two 60+ and a 30 year old went. We ate, steaks, salmon and crab cakes plus appetizers and desserts. Everything was so delicious. We literally ate up every morsel on every plate. We had a different server each night & they were all excellent - helpful, gracious and attentive at just the right times. Plus VIR we take numerous other trips each year from east coast to west coast and this is still my favorite restaurant.

Date of visit: April 2016