“Enjoyed it very much”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed December 16, 2016

I read reviews of various restaurants in South Boston, where we were spending the night, and the Friday seafood buffet at Ernie’s caught my eye. The reviews were generally but not overwhelmingly positive for Ernie’s but all of them that mentioned the Friday seafood buffet were positive, and we decided to try it. The buffet is from 4-9 and includes, for any non seafood eaters, meats as well. The evening we were there seafood included fried oysters, steamed shrimp, bay scallops, hard shell crabs, a kind of seafood casserole, fish (I wasn’t sure but it might have been catfish), and some type of seafood based soup. I tried a cup. It resembled an oyster based chowder but was mainly a broth that had the butter and cream/milk appearance and taste of chowder but without any vegetables that I could discern and only a few small pieces of oysters. Meats included fried chicken, ribs, and beef. There were also hot vegetables, including delicious greens, excellent black eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, potatoes, corn on the cob, and an ample salad bar. What else: corn bread, hush puppies, deserts (including a pineapple bread pudding, cookies, and probably other items that I am forgetting.)
All I can say is that Ernie’s more than lived up to its reputation. Everything I tried (all of the seafood, ribs, greens, black eyed peas, potatoes) was very good. The soup was a bit disappointing if you were looking for a chowder but as a broth it was good. I wished I had had room for the bread pudding but couldn’t do it and settled for a cookie to take back to the hotel. The price for the buffet was $15.99 and it was more than worth it. When I think of the disappointing “all you can eat” I’ve had at Red Lobster and similar places, they don’t hold a candle to Ernie’s. The service was also very good, and one of the co-owners stopped by, told us a little background to the place, and even gave us a map of Virginia when we inquired how far it was to Brookneal and Red Hill, the site of the Patrick Henry Memorial, where we planned to stop the following morning on our way to Williamsburg. Ernie’s has a very extensive menu in addition to its buffet and If I’m ever back this way, I will definitely stop by even if it is not a Friday.

Reviewed December 8, 2016 via mobile

Some food on buffet was unidentifiable. Prices were okay. Ambiance was very country western. Service was attentive.

Reviewed November 19, 2016

I went here two times. The first time was excellent, and the second time was poor. The first time, I had the grilled chicken special and it was as good as grilled chicken as I have ever had in a restaurant. Was very moist and seasoned well. The second time I had some beef tips with onions and peppers. All of it was dripping in oil, and just was not very good. I would go back again, but would not get anything cooked in oil.

I did not get the buffet which most people were getting when i was there. I would try it if there was a lot of people there, but the first time i went it was not very crowded so not much food was being eaten. Consequently, had just been warmed over too long and did not look appetizing.

Reviewed November 14, 2016

You can order off the menu or get the buffet. The buffet is wonderful. It has a salad bar, lots of country vegetables & quite a few entrees to choose from. I have been here about 4 times & it has been good every time.

1  Thank Beachlvrgrl
Reviewed September 30, 2016

Our stop at Ernie’s came for lunch on day 2 of a 5-day, 1200 mile motorcycle trip and we could not have been happier with the entire experience. Although I can't really say where Ernie’s is in relation to anything, our GPS guided us there without error and that is always a great relief when traveling long distances into unfamiliar territory.
We knew from reading other reviews that Ernie’s offers a buffet, but I planned to order from the separate menu in order to get something “fresh.” However, after perusing the buffet I quickly realized that everything they put out was fresh and looked homemade so my wife and I both chose the buffet option. We were not disappointed with anything we tried. Particular favorites were the catfish, the baked chicken, and the salad bar, which had far more of my favorite ingredients than any salad bar has for quite some time.
The staff at Ernie’s were very welcoming and pleasant and, if we didn’t live so far away, I would love to visit again. Although home is more than 300 miles from South Boston, I’ll always keep Ernie’s on my list of stops just in case we ever pass by on a bike trip again.