“Great value, clean, with friendly staff.”

Wingate by Wyndham Springfield
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We recently took our son and grandsons to tour Washington, D.C. We stayed at the Hampton because they provide shuttle service to the metro, but it is at the end of the blue line and takes at least a half hour from the city . The van was prompt and the driver was friendly. You felt very safe in this location and their was a large mall across the highway. You had a nice choice of restaurants nearby. Halls and room were clean. The bath had some peeling wallpaper and we could hear the grandkids in the next room. The room had once been a joining room, but there was a sofa in front of the door now. Breakfast was great and well stocked. We booked the room early and got a great rate (well under $100 per night) for the Friday and Sat. night that we stayed, but we did pay in advance.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Wingate by Wyndham Springfield

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Finallly, a place that is TRULY pet friendly, and by that I mean NO PET FEES! Plenty of greenspace out back to walk the pooches. Additionally, our room couldn't have been any cleaner. The duvets are washed after every guest, and the bathrooms just gleamed. The breakfast was very good, with hot fresh food and a rather large selection of cereals, fruits, waffles/breads, and egg and meat dishes. Again, someone cleaning and atttending to things constantly. Easy on and off the interstate, many good restaurants nearby, and access to the metro very close--I think they also offer a shuttle, but we chose to drive the ten minutes to Alexandria. Don't tell anyone--we want to keep our little Northern Virginia gem a secret!!

Room Tip: Stay of the first floor near the back parking lot if you have dogs.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Upon arrival, check in was very quick! The nice sized room looked as if it was recently refurbished with new furniture and interior design. The room also had a large flat screen television and other amenities you would expect in today's modern hotel. The staff was very courteous and breakfast was great. The Hampton is alos located across the street from a large mall and within proximity of plenty of restuarants. I highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in the Springfield, VA area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Stayed here recently. Suite was ok...minor damage and neglect in the paint on the ceiling and walls, couple of small holes in the sheet rock. Could have been from the earthquake. BUT... Sheets, bath linens, and bathroom were spotless. Was a little disappointed but not to the point where I won't use it again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Definitely old.......is clean though. Decent area, decent staff, easy access to metro and I-95. No frills, I stay here because of the location.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I guess this facility hasn't been updated in years. I stay at a lot of Hampton Inn's and can usually know that I'm going to stay in a place that is fairly new, has been maintained, and is clean and doesn't smell. This location, in very paved and urban Springfield, was an exception to that. I'd like to think it's scheduled for renovation, but I don't know how the consumer should know that. (and I'd like not to pay the same rate as a newer facility if it's not up to grade.) The door of my room didn't fit well into the frame, so it was kindof sticky and noisy to open and close. My TV wouldn't work consistently. And my room smelled moldy/dingy. I would recommend NOT staying here if you have another option. I will try not to be back. It wasn't worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here for a week along with several other co-workers. I stay at a lot of Hampton Inn's in my travels so my comparison is based on those other experiences.

Had one major problem with the hotel. Our rooms smelled like a dirty locker room at a gym. They must have had a sports team stay recently that didn't shower because the rooms were very rank. When we complained about our rooms the next day we were told the hotel was full and there were no other rooms to switch too. The ironic thing was the gym on the property smelled fresher than my room! Stayed here for a week and the Housekeeping was unable to make any dent in the smell. I guess I should have gone to the store myself and bought "febreeze", since the housekeeping doesn't have any.

Check in process was quick and staff was friendly. I was called by my name many times by the staff each day, which was impressive. Breakfast was minimal, seems like most Hampton Inn's have several hot items for breakfast where this hotel had only 1 hot tray with 1 item. Manager reception in the evening was nice with "Heavy" Hors d'oeuvres and wine and beer at cost. Gym was very small, but typical of some Hamptons, but had an exterior entrance only around the back service entrance of the hotel.

Overall and okay hotel, but since I was so "shell shocked" from have a smelly room, I don't think I could stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business