“Beyond the call of duty”

Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront
Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nederland, Texas
“Beyond the call of duty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

My daughter and I arrived at this hotel at 9:30 AM. We had spent a sleepless night at a different hotel. We were greeted by Christy who proved to be our angel. After we regaled her with our experience she prompty gave us the keys to check out a room. We came back to the desk and told it was perfect. She even worked with us on the rate of the room since we had fled the other hotel without a reservation. We spent the next 4 nights in absolute comfort. This is a clean hotel with a great breakfast. All of the staff are friendly and helpful. We did not have a single problem, complaint or issue. I will stay here anytime I am in town. Thanks again to Christy for saving us!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank CindyP62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

We had three rooms for New Years Eve. Four adults and give children. We wanted something that would overlook the boardwalk and the holiday lights at the beach. We had called just about every other hotel on the beach and everything was sold out. Just when we thought it was a lost cause, Christina at this hotel came to our rescue. Not only did she find us three available rooms, she arranged it so that the rooms would be right beside each other, two of them adjoining. It worked out so well -- the front bedroom on the oceanfront with the balcony and queen bed, the back bedroom with a queen bed. Both rooms have a flat screen television. There is a refrig and microwave in each room. The rooms and bathrooms were impeccably clean, lots of nice fresh towels, and we could not been more pleased. When we checked in, Christina greeted us, and remembered our conversation about booking us in the three rooms. She was so great -- friendly, personable and efficient. When we checked out the following day, she wanted to make sure that we enjoyed our stay and all was well. We wanted to split the billing between two credit cards, and that was not a problem, she made it happen. The small children enjoyed the nice pool, and although we did not get to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast, we did get coffee in that area, and the breakfast looked fantastic -- not your usual run-of-the-mill muffins and coffee. Waffles, pancakes, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc. This is an ideal location for families. We will return there for sure, there is every reason to do so! Say hello to Christina and the folks at this hotel, they are pretty special. Thanks everyone.

Room Tip: 6th floor, 608, 609 or 610!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Madgrandma57
Acushnet, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

I'll start by saying this hotel was not my first choice. I chose it because it had a government discount of $89 per night, which is a great rate for an oceanfront suite. I stayed in October 2011 for a week long vacation. I stumbled on it, and am very happy I stayed here.

The staff was outstanding. Every time entering and leaving the hotel, we were greeted. Even walking by staff in hallways or being in the elevator with a staff member, we were asked how we were doing with a warm smile. Staff members also helped us with recommendations on where to eat and where to shop. (and I loved that they did not seem annoyed at all by our questions) Even the woman that helped me try to figure out my Choice hotels rewards number for a good 20 minutes when checking out actually seemed happy to be helping me.

The room was nice. We had a queen suite. There is a bedroom, a small hallway with a fridge/sink and the bathroom, then a living room. There were two flat screen TVs. The balcony was nice, although I wouldn't lean on the railing, not too secure. The WiFi worked efficiently. There were no annoying smells or noises in the room, except when the AC kicked on in the middle of the night, it was loud at times. We did not hear any noise from rooms around us. The bed was decently comfortable. The extra pillows are a must. There was always coffee/tea available near the front desk.

The complimentary breakfast was better than what I had expected. There were a few hot choices each day, numerous choices of baked goods, yogurt, fruit, boiled eggs, make your own waffles, etc... The staff kept the breakfast area clean and were there to help. There were also newspapers available, which I enjoyed. I also loved that I could enjoy my breakfast while looking at the ocean.

The only thing I did not like was the awkward location of the pool. I didn't swim in it, not because it didn't look nice, but because I felt like people in the pool were on display to everyone that walked by.

We requested a high floor and it was granted. Each day we were asked if we needed the room cleaned, and if we said no, we were asked if we needed anything else. The parking garage was fine for our car, and convenient, and felt secure. The hotel had a great location in the middle of the boardwalk. We walked to the end of the boardwalk in both directions from the hotel, and there are a lot of restaurants within walking distance. Overall, I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel. Although it is not upscale, it is great for the value. I am a picky person, and did not find a single thing I didn't like, except for the pool (which was minimal). The friendliness of the staff, the location on the oceanfront/boardwalk, and the hotel offering a government rate in October would definitely make me stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amr2323
Upper Quinton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We had a group of 8 to see the holiday lights and Christmas Parade this past weekend. Room needed renovation, but very clean and comfortable. The staff however was extremely friendly and helpful from check in to check out. We watched the parade and they gave us hot choc.. The breakfast was great. Best Waffle I have ever had.
We wanted to watch Va. Tech Game together, They opend up the breakfast area and provided plates for our pizza.
My only other wish was the pool needed to be warmer. A litttle too cool to enjoy. We will be back . I can't wait to see the rooms once they are all redone!

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront, we choose the room with a living area and a sleeping area which was very c...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank bennygoodman
Candor
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

First - the staff was very nice and helpful. The condition of the hotel especially the rooms is pretty bad. First room we were given had an adjoining room and we could have answered our neighbors questions and we weren't traveling with them! We heard everything! The next room had a very very funny smell coming out of the vent! Reading another review maybe they were exterminating...yuck! So the third room was ok nothing great but at least it was clean. If it wasn't so late we definitely would have moved to another hotel! I have learned my lesson - when traveling to Virginia Beach I will definitely stay at a much much nicer establishment!

Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Greenbin
Anaheim, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

My family stayed here in September, the first night I saw a tiny bug crawling in the bed. I called maintenance we looked further and saw adult bed bugs as well as small bed bugs. We switched rooms, the next day there was a exterminator fumigating the room and all the furniture was removed from the room. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, on the surface it appears to be nice but pull the covers back and look at your mattress and you may change your mind.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank Angel w
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I took my wife here for her birthday. Just an overnight stay on a Sunday Night. It cost me 128 Dollars. I asked for a birthday gift or some candy or something to put in my wife's room, but they couldn't accommodate my wishes. Upon arrival the front desk clerk asked me could she upgrade me to their best suite for a whopping 298 dollars, I kindly said no thanks!

However, the room often seemed like smoke was coming through the vents. My wife and I both noticed it.

We weren't there long, but just for a few hours. It just wasn't worth the price we paid.

It did have a beautiful view of the ocean. Thats about the only bright spot for me.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple