“2nd stay at the Holiday Inn North Beach” 5 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“2nd stay at the Holiday Inn North Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

For our second stay my wife and I visited off-season. The crowds had definitely died down but the hotel was mostly the same. Some differences: you're not likely to be offered free valet parking (although the lot across the street is very convenient) and I think maybe the hours at the Square Whale were shorter. The two outdoor pools were closed leaving one open indoor pool and hot tub. We ate at both the Square Whale and Greenery. The crab cake sandwich at the Square Whale was good and worth the price, though the accompanying fruit was hard and bland. Breakfast buffet at the Greenery was good, offering typical selections of eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, cereal, etc as well as fresh waffles. I recommend requesting a high floor...on our recent trip we had room 202 (second floor) and although we had no problems at all with the room, many low floor room views may be blocked by palm trees. I am including a view for the balcony of room 202, which puts you at the far end of the hotel, right near the end of the boardwalk. It's a bit of a walk from the front desk, but you get to pass the kids club, the movie theater, indoor pool, and Square Whale. As a Priority club member you get a coupon for a free drink and snack from the lobby sundry shop, but note that drinks are cheaper from the vending machines if you are paying. Overall we had only one small complaint about our stay which was that the room keys were not programmed on our first arrival at the room, which required a walk back and forth to the front desk. An easy fix but a minor annoyance nonetheless. Overall I want to give the HI North Beach 4.5 stars, but since that's not an option, and since they have a wandering turtle in the kids club, I'll give them 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank heeljeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Location:
The hotel is located on the North Shore, which is a quieter part of the beach. Most of the shops, restaurants, bike rentals, and activity are located on the south end of the beach, about a mile away. Staying in the off season meant that car travel or walking was easy if we wanted to go further south, but if you want to be right in the center of the action, you might want to consider moving down the beach a bit. If you want to play in the sand and have a quieter experience, this place is perfect.

The Room:
Our Suite was a good size with a separate living room and bedroom with two queen beds. In between the rooms is a sink and the door to the bathroom. A door separated the living room and the bedroom area. The living area also had a larger dorm sized refrigerator and microwave which was nice since we were travelling with a couple of kids and liked the option of having lunch or a quick breakfast in our room. The bathroom lacked a tub and when we asked if we could switch to a room with a bathtub we were told that the rooms had been renovated and that there were not rooms with bathtubs. Something to consider if you have small children that are not shower ready yet. The other odd thing about the bathroom was the location of the sink outside of the bathroom area as well as double doors that didn’t quite close properly. The beds were clean and bed bug free (something I always check for) and the room was generally neat. The ocean view sliders were filthy when we arrived and we had to ask to have them cleaned. I understand that the sea air and weather dirties the glass, but with new guests arriving we thought they should have at least attempted to clean the windows. Housekeeping in general was on the poor side. We had to ask to have the room vacuumed (apparently that is not a standard daily practice) and throughout our stay we had to ask for more soap, shampoo and toilet paper. These are basic housekeeping services that should not have been overlooked, especially since there were so few guests in the hotel. When I did see a housekeeping cart in the hall and asked for toilet paper they didn’t even have any on the cart, which I thought was strange.

Even with these quirks we still liked the room and it was nice to be able to put the kids to bed and not disturb them when we stayed up to watch TV.

Hotel Facilities:
The outside pools are not heated or cleaned in the off-season so the only pool available is the inside “lazy river”. The temperature in the pool area was not warm as it could have been and the water was pretty cool too. We are from New England and are pretty cold hearty, but it still was pretty chilly. We asked about the temperature and there was some technical problem that they said they fixed, but it was still the coldest indoor pool we’ve experienced. There were also only 3 tubes that we needed to continually inflate ourselves. The concept was nice and is probably nicer in the summer, but for our stay it was a bit disappointing.

The movie theater is free, however wasn’t open when we were there (5 days). The kid’s camp was closed as well. Neither of these amenities were noted as seasonal on the website.

Restaurants/Food:
There is a 7-11 right across the street where you can pick up some basic grocery items. There is also a “Farm Fresh” grocery store close by for a bigger shop.

For breakfast we ate in the hotel restaurant twice since they had a “kids eat free” promotion. The first morning the breakfast was great and coffee and juice were included with our entrees. The second morning the breakfast was eh and we had to pay for the drinks. The inconsistency in quality and pricing led us to try Pocahontas Pancake House. It was good and reasonably priced.

For dinner we picked up food from Baja Grill (Mexican) that was tasty and fresh. We also ate at Mahi Mah down the road (6th street I think) and it was very good with fair prices. They also have early bird specials. The seafood is very fresh and worth a visit. We also ate at Watermans which had great drinks and Oceanside dining. The food was decent, but a bit overpriced. I’d recommend going there for drinks and burgers/bar food. Both Mahi Mah and Watermans have kids menus too. One night when the kids were exhausted I went to Farm Fresh and picked up grilled chicken (8pieces for $4.99) and mashed potatoes form the deli counter. Tasty, cheap, and easy.

Overall this was a good value and nice property for the price. If you’d like informative staff or better service I recommend the Hilton down the road. We stopped there for some information and they were great and the property was beautiful.

10 Thank cjm_miller
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
cjm_miller,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the very good! Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already do. We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made.
Thank you again for your review.

Ben J
IHG Care
Clemmons, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

The room was a very large King suite but the location in the hotel made it so you could only see straight out to ocean and had left and right views blocked totally by hotel sides. Not the view I expected when booking an oceanfront hotel at that price! I arrived on a Sunday and all the restaurants and activity rooms were open, then everything closed during the week making it very difficult to find something to eat. Tried room service several times to get no answer. The cooler with drinks in it in the lobby was down to almost nothing and was told it wouldn't be refilled for three more days. The one day housekeeping entered my room when I wasn't there, I found my expensive face cream had been opened and a huge amount scooped out when it was brand new and not been used prior to my arrival. If I hadn't paid for this using advance purchase, I surely would have changed hotels after the first night. Very disappointed after what was rated a good hotel.

5 Thank Kim R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Kim R,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance. Thank you

Ben J
IHG Care
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

First off, we had booked a King oceanfront and were able to upgrade to a 2 Queen suite the day before we left. The hotel was clean, the staff were incredibly friendly, and we would definitely recommend the hotel. Perfect amenities for a family. We ate at all 3 restaurants and were pleased with all the meals.

The breakfast buffet at The Greenery was well appointed, with everything you could possibly want for the meal (except pancakes). A cook was there to make fresh waffles, omlettes and eggs any way you wanted them. Oatmeal, cold cereal, fresh fruit, sausage gravy & biscuits, bacon, sausage, home fries, yogurt parfaits and various pastries were all laid out for guests. My only gripe would be for them to get a new toaster! It took forever to get toast, and if you didn't watch it and hit cancel, the toast would burn.

At the Square Whale, although the menu was limited, the food was excellent, fast and good sized portions. I had the cheesesteak with fries and could have eaten one every day it was that good. Although the outdoor seating area was closed, the large windows along the side provided a great view.

The Isle of Capri was our favorite meal. The barmaid was very attentive even though she was exceptionally busy that evening. We started out with the mozzerella and pomodoro. I love caprese salad, and this was one of the best I've had. Superb. And the fresh bread was to.die.for. What made it even better was the butter that was soft enough to spread. If there's anything I can not stand, it's being served ice cold butter with warm soft bread. My husband had the fruti di mare with the diavolo sauce and I was amazed at the portion size. He said all of the seafood in the dish was very fresh and he loved the sauce. I had the chicken milanese and the cutlets were cooked perfectly - not a dry one on the plate. The mixed greens were very fresh and the side of pasta was a very generous portion. In fact, I couldn't eat a bite of it until lunch the next day, and my husband only ate half his entree that night.

The pool area was kept very clean with plenty of fresh towels, and they did have the movie theater going all weekend. So if you are looking for a family friendly hotel with enough to keep everyone in your party occupied, do try this hotel.

One word of caution, though, on the 2 queen suite we got. Room 536 seemed to be directly under the Isle of Capri kitchen and we heard a lot of carts being pushed around above us. But the restaurant is only open until 10PM, so the noise stopped by 11 or so, and was not a problem for us. However, rooms around this number would also probably have that kind of noise from the restaurant so if you are a light sleeper or have small children who are, you may want to specify NOT being directly below the restaurant.

5 Thank Gypsy3n8
MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here in February. It was our first time in VA Beach! The room was gorgeous, we stayed in a qieen suite. We had an ocean front room. There was a bit of a breeze coming through the balcony sliding door. People on the beach were very noisey at 12 am, and there was no protection from the sound. Not sure how this would be in summer. The breakfast was great, and kids eat free.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank tennisplyr1
Waverly, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Everything was just perfect, The room on 6th floor was the best view ever. If you stay ask for 6th floor room 613 , you can see the best view of everything, room is so great, Took my grandaughters and they enjoyed the play, pool, we had the time of our lives.

Room Tip: 6th floor room 613
9 Thank Shirley C
Troy, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

We were in Hampton Roads for the night to visit with friends. Since we have not gotten to the beach in 2 years, thought it would be nice to spend a night at a hotel on the beach. Picked the Holiday Inn North Beach due to it being a Holiday Inn and the Indoor Lazy River. Upon check in the staff was very courteous and offered Valet Parking. We had already parked our car in the garage across the street. We stayed in a 2 queen bed suite. The suite was very clean upon arrival. The beds were very comfortable. I liked how you could shut the door to the bedroom and also shut the door to the living room area, and have privacy in the sink/bathroom area. We are a family with 3 children. It was nice for the children to be able to sit out in the living room and relax and watch cartoons before bed time. Two of my children slept on the sleeper sofa. Sleeper sofa seemed very comfortable. I sat on it one time. Seemed much better then other sleeper sofas I have sat on while they were pulled out. The only complaint that I would have which did not effect our trip at hall is the heater unit is a bit loud when it runs. Once of the queen beds in right next to the unit which is located inside a wall. The tempature in the room was fine. Nice balcony overlooking the ocean. Saw a gorgeous sunset in the morning. One other complaint. The deadbolt lock for the door to the patio should be put a little higher up. My 3yo was able to pull the desk chair over and stand on that and open the patio door. Since our children are never unattended it was not a big deal, but would of been nice if the lock was higher so no children could unlock the door.
The lazy river was very clean. Kids had a blast swimming. Other guests had left behind their inner tubes and other items so the guests that were in the pool area that night at the same time as us used them and offered to share with my children. Pool towels are a bit small. Need to remember to bring flip flops or other shoes next time. Walk from pool to room was a bit far and hallways can be slippery if feet are not completely dry.

Room Tip: corner suites are large. rooms over looking the beach provide a wonderful view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family