4 people have started booking this hotel
Free cancellation until 21-10-02
Hotels.comUS$369
PricelineUS$369
FindHotelUS$369
All reviews hunt room turn down service hunt club distillery tour marriott autograph complimentary chairs private section of the beach marble bathroom ocean club lobby bar indoor pool wearing masks across the street hotel experience public areas fire pit every staff member
Selected filters
Reviewed July 24, 2021 via mobile

Good and energy feels so welcoming I loved everything including the food . Loved the roses and my server Stephen was the sweetest . I recommend everyone come to this restaurant on Vaca and to empress a lovely date. I left with a bottle of wine !!
It’s the flowers for me !

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GK PHR Marketing, Marketing at The Historic Cavalier Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2021

Thank you for your 5-star review. We look forward to being of your service to you during your future visits.

Reviewed July 18, 2021 via mobile

We decided to drive to Virginia Beach to escape the rain in upstate NY . We arrived The Caviler and first question was would we like a glass of champagne, yes please ! Very nice check in , informed we had been up graded to a suite . Our suite was on the sixth floor which is apparently the haunted floor , we had The Lawson suite which is nautical, well it really wasn’t our cup of tea but we could appreciate the effort made and every single corner was dedicated to the sea , big commitment to the theme . As we explored the suite several of lamps had no working bulbs and a previous guest had opened a bottle of tonic water and replaced it in the fridge . We asked housekeeping to replace the non working bulbs and opened tonic twice during our stay but alas it wasn’t taken care of .I also asked for a book on the hotel in the gift shop but was informed they are available at check in desk asked at check in desk and was told certainly we will send one up to your room , unfortunately that never came either . The rooms are generally clean but I honestly expect them to be cleaner after Covid, had to take a towel to clean bathroom doors covered in hand prints , all the suite furniture had like coffee drip marks on and finger prints so much dust on the mirror you could write your name in so all a little bit grubby.The bar closes early if no one about so get your rounds in . All the staff we encountered were very nice and helpful but sometimes with a confused message re- opening times of gift shops , bars etc .The beach club is very nice with lovely staff but again a bit grubby, guy on the next bed to us dropped a chip on the floor and it was still there next day covered in ants as was a dropped ice cream spoon had to ask for our table to be cleaned and it was by very nice staff member. We ate in Becca food was nice but not amazing but again lovely service , sat on the chairs outside on the lawn listening to music sipping wine lovely evening. We ate in The Hunt room again food nice but just ok.All in all we had a great stay with one or two areas that could be improved we will definitely return.

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Nick Nations, Guest Services / Front Office at The Historic Cavalier Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2021

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback on your recent visit. I am delighted to hear about the good experiences and that our Associates were enjoyable during your visit. The opportunities described with our Housekeeping team is certainly not what you should expect from our property and I am very sorry that this was your experience. I have provided all of this information to our Rooms Division leadership so that they may take the appropriate action to ensure this issues do not occur again. Should your travels ever bring you back to the beach, please feel free to reach out to me directly. It would be my pleasure to ensure your visit is nothing short of fantastic.

Nick Nations

Reviewed July 8, 2021 via mobile

Easily one of the most distinct hotels you will find anywhere. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, cocktails fantastic, environment spotless and staff friendly and accommodating.

I was surprised to see just how busy this hotel actually is with activity seemingly everywhere. I’m not sure how they are able to keep up but all and all do a fantastic job coming out of Covid and treating their guests to a real experience.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Ben R
GK PHR Marketing, Marketing at The Historic Cavalier Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2021

Thank you for taking time to leave us positive feedback about your stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed all that The Historic Cavalier and Beach Club have to offer. It was a pleasure to read your comments about our property! Your kind comments will be shared with our team. We look forward to being of service to you during future visits to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed July 7, 2021

My husband and I absolutely loved the hotel. It’s so rich in history and absolutely gorgeous. The staff was very professional and our room and the hotel in general was very clean. Our dining experiences at the hotel restaurants were outstanding. We will most definitely be back!

1  Thank lindamZ5936TX

Reviewed July 2, 2021

After a wonderful weekend last summer (during COVID) we couldn't wait to get back to The Cavalier. Although the resort is back up and running "normally," the visit was not the level of quality we were anticipating.

When we arrived at 3:50PM, we were told we could not check into our room but that it would be ready "sometime" between 4-5PM. As all communication had stated check in was at 4PM, this was a small, but annoying disappointment. Additionally, although I had taken the time to download the Marriott BONVOY app they push on you, I still had to give them my credit card, personal information, etc. once at the resort (even though I had already entered all information on the app). The inquiry "have you stayed with us before?" was unimpressive - at a resort this small, it seems simple to do a quick search and welcome returning guests, rather than making them feel unappreciated. Yes - I was here last year and spent several thousand dollars at your resort in two days - perhaps you could make a note??

While we waited for our room, we were encouraged to head to the Beach Club (luckily I had packed our beachwear separately). We couldn't wait to get our feet in the pool/sand, but as we approached, we could hear INCREDIBLY LOUD construction noises. Imagine our dismay to learn the construction was immediately adjacent to the Beach Club - a new hotel being constructed (according to signage) as part of The Cavalier. Huh - you'd think someone would have mentioned the fact that there would be CONSTANT machine-powered drilling and hammering noises at the resort from morning until after 5PM each evening? The noise was so loud it was difficult to relax, let alone have a private conversation.

Our second day, we had a late and leisurely breakfast before heading to the Beach Club again - hoping the construction might be on a break. Not only was it going full-force, but we were notified that the Beach Club was closing that day at 4PM for a private event. Wow - that would have been EXCELLENT information to have in order to plan our day differently. Again - this is a small resort and it seems it would have been simple to share this information in a proactive way to all guests.

While The Cavalier is pretty much back to "normal," we actually received poorer service than we did during COVID restrictions. The bar in the Raleigh Room was open this year and usually had 3-4 servers (in addition to the 1-2 bartenders) standing in a group gossiping, snacking, etc. Yet both nights we had to approach the bar each time we wanted a cocktail, rather than being served at our seating area. Similarly, we sat outside after our meal the second night and not a single employee approached us to inquire if we would like a nightcap, coffee, etc. Again - a small issue, but disappointing at this level.

The resort is beautiful - absolutely gorgeous, welcoming, and luxurious. Our room was immaculate and attended to promptly. But the appeal of a boutique resort is the idea that every guest will receive excellent service and attention and The Cavalier fell short. I'm not sure what the solution to the construction would be, but communication prior to our arrival and some kind of gesture (a free drink at the Beach Bar? free Cavalier swag?) would have been appropriate. Similarly, if you are closing your Beach Club during prime time, this should be communicated to all guests prior to their arrival or at least 24 hours in advance.

I hope management will focus on bringing their own communications and attention to detail up to the same level as the rest of the resort.

3  Thank FreddyLG
Nick Nations, Guest Services / Front Office at The Historic Cavalier Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent visit. There are certainly major opportunities for improvement and Leadership is actively working on creating the experience that all of our guests deserve. I am so sorry that we missed the mark on creating that for your stay. The ongoing construction is also a challenge were are working through. On some days the construction is not invasive and on others, just as you described. Our Leadership is working on a viable solution with the construction companies to help mitigate these issues as much as possible. These are our challenges, and should certainly not be detrimental to your experience. Should your travels ever bring you back to Virginia Beach, please feel free to reach out to me directly. It would be my pleasure to ensure your visit is as fantastic as it should have been. Nick.nations@cavalierhotel.com.

Thank you again.