BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Mexico City, Mexico
“Group tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

My husband and I, along with a tour bus of Senior Citizens from Pennsylvania enjoyed a week in September at this hotel. Our updated room was on the 5th floor and was very clean. The bathroom was small, but adequate. Curtains and bedspreads looked new, and also the carpet. The ocean view was superb, and definitely rise early to see the sunrise. We had tickets to eat the buffet breakfast in the restaurant, but it was not very good. The food was tasteless and barely warm. We preferred to eat the free contiental breakfast instead. It included make your own waffles, fresh fruit, donuts, danish, oatmeal, juices and very good coffee. The lunch and dinner restaurant was ocean front and very good. A little gift shop had reasonably priced gifts. For the price, it's a bargain. I would definitely stay her again.

2 Thank AnnaMariaScranton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

The staff is super friendly, we started out on the 6th floor and some sort of generator was running so loud right at our room and we requested a room change and that was no problem although we had to give up our King bed for 2 queens. We have stayed at the Sandcastle before and always found it very nice for the price, except this year they remodeled and turned every room into a dark cave! Don't go by the pictures on the brochure or website, as the rooms are not white and blue and teal anymore! They are black and red and pumpkin with dark horrid striped carpet. The room and especially sink area are very dark and the room is drab and depressing! I know hurricane Irene left things damp and things had to be changed BUT why such horrid dark colors -- it's a beach hotel, it should be bright, light and colorful!
I did not see anything else being newly remodeled, carpet in hallways needs work and room doors are badly in need of paint. Some brighter lights in the hallway would be great also. Not real secure as anyone can access the rooms from the beach, parking lot or front entrance.
Breakfast is fine, plenty for a quick bite in the morning, and the rates are very reasonable. Housekeeping is on the spot, our rooms were perfectly cleaned at about the same time each day. Rooms are oceanfront, but, there again the black painted doors and window trim takes away. A/C works well and it is quiet which is a big plus. Pool area is great as is the outdoor sundeck.

Room Tip: We have stayed at quite a few hotels on the beach -- cheap and expensive, and none are perfect. Jus...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LisaK16226
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Our group was at the sand castle the weekend of the 16th of september.Most of the group arrived thursday the 15th. The hotel, the staff, the rooms all were excellent. For the price, you cannot get a better deal. The hotel staff( pauline britton) helped us get a super group rate, provided us with great infomation on golf courses, and even helped us with our group lunch at ocean eddies.
I highly recommend to have your stay at this hotel. within the next year, the hotel will be going thru changes, if you think it great now, wait till you see it in 2012. Our group, the USS JFK V-2 group will be back many times. Thanks again sand castle for making our reunion special!!!!

Room Tip: Ask the staff for anything, if they dont have it, they will get it!!!
Valley Forge PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

The view from our room overlooking the ocean, beach & boardwalk is awesome. Wake up early to see spectacular sunrises from your room!
The room was clean but very much in need of an upgrade. The sink faucet has a water saver aerator that is barely a trickle. I'm for saving water but this is just ridiculous! On the other hand, the bath tub had full force water and the shower was reasonable. The TV remote was worn and I could barely see and read which buttons to press. But then, with such a great view, who needs to watch TV? As others reviewed, the breakfast room was a bit crowded but we got by. The coffee was good. Food selections were typical.
The parking garage is not for the inexperienced! Leave your luxury car at home! Over all, we had fun, and would stay again. The staff was friendly and helpful with most everything.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
dcboo, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We are currently undergoing renovations, so next time you visit everything in your guest room should be new and improved. We hope to see you again in the near future and hear what you think of our changes.
High Point, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We arrived a week after Hurricane Irene came through and they'd had soaked carpets. The room smelled bad, but we attributed that to the Irene damage. Maybe it will smell better after some time. The breakfast was pretty good, but the later female attendant was pretty grumpy each day. One day we went earlier and the earlier attendant was pleasant. It is oceanfront with a few shops on the lower floor for beach stuff you may have forgotten or couldn't carry on a plane. The housekeeper and front desk staff were pleasant and our room was cleaned promptly and thoroughly each morning by Shanale (I think). The elevators are a little slow. The indoor pool was small, but adequate. We were there for the Rock'n'Roll 1/2 marathon and the location is good for that. The finish line was right outside our balcony. The total for 3 nts (marathon rate) was over $700, so a little expensive, but they pretty much all are for the event on Labor Day Weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Unfortunately, we did sustain some water damage due to Hurricane Irene, however all of the issues have since been resolved. I apologize for the unfriendly reception you received from one of our Breakfast Attendants. Members of our management team cannot be everywhere at once, so we appreciate the feedback we receive from our guests concerning the performance of our staff and impression of our property. We work quickly to resolve any guest complaints as efficiently as possible. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and can promise even better accomodations by next year's 1/2 marathon. Please come back and see us again!
richmond
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Check in was easy. Took five minutes . Parking deck is small. Don't drive your luxury car.upon entering the hotel, the hallways were small and dark. Can't wait to see what it looks like at night. the bathroom is updated. But everything else looks like I walked into the 1960s. I like the bathroom soap. Pool is dirty.
Just look at the pics. The gift shops are crappy. Will not ever stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank markeila
Thank you for your feedback. We are currently undergoing renovations to address many of the issues you mentioned. Please come stay with us again when the renovations are complete - I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

My opinion is only for its custom service. Don't have vacations with a bad mood caused by the bad custom service of the hotel. I booked a room for Aug 27 and Aug 28. It is impossible for me to get there because of the hurricane I think every one knows it. I am a foreigner and I did not find it earlier. I tried to call to cancel the reservation on Aug 27 but nobody answered all day long until Aug 28. There is no response for email also. I can not get any refund and have to take the loss of more than $300 by myself. I think a good custom service should work on both regulations and common sense. At least, if the custom service is available on Aug 27 I should get half refund as regulations. I think it is unfair for me to take the loss caused by emergency. I love the position of this hotel. It is my fault to book a room again on Aug 28. I got a email from the manager to confirm my reservation. I prepared the trip. However, I got a phone call on Aug 29 afternoon telling me my reservation is canceled because the hotel is closed for damage. Finally I have to choose a hotel blocks away from the shore because it is too late to find a oceanfront room. I have nothing to say but remind you to consider secondly before reservation if have other choices.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
dcboo, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Unfortunately, Hurricane Irene did cause some confusion over that weekend. I'm sorry for any inconvenience you experienced, but would like to provide some additional information for you. Our hotel was forced to close due to a loss of power during the storm. For the safety of our employees and guests, the hotel was not manned on the day that you called. We do understand that just like Hurricane Irene was no fault of ours, it was also no fault of our guests. Because of this, we waived early check-out fees and our cancellation policy for our guests. Unfortunately, you booked your reservation through a third party booking agent, Expedia or Hotels.com. Because you booked through a third party and not through the hotel directly, we did not have contact information for you. We did alert representatives from all of our third party booking agents, who assured us that they would reach out to the guests who had booked through them and alert these guests to the situation. The third party agents were very aware of our decision to waive cancellation fees. I apologize if your booking agent was unable to get in contact with you, but again, we at Sandcastle did everything within our power to ensure that all of our guests were alerted and treated with the top-notch customer service they are accustomed to receiving from us. Similarly, if you are concerned about your refund, I'll have to direct you back to your booking agent. Because you booked through a third party, you paid the third party, not Sandcastle. Therefore, we do not have your funds to refund to you. If you require assistance with this, please feel free to contact any of our staff members at the hotel. We have repaired any damages we incurred as a result of Hurricane Irene and are now open and fully manned 24/7. I hope this information has helped to clear up any misunderstanding or miscommunication you may have had regarding our policies and our service. Please book with Sandcastle and come stay with us another time - I know you won't be disappointed!