“Step Back Into The Past of VA Beach Night Life”
Review of Raven Restaurant

Raven Restaurant
Ranked #102 of 1,631 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 5, 2018

This restaurant reminded me of what VA Beach may have looked like when my parents would visit a couple decades ago. The only drawback was when I entered the bar area was so retro, however, I was asked "Smoking or Non-smoking?" I chose non-smoking and was segwayed into an area that made me feel like a nomad.

I ordered the Cesar salad topped with tuna steak. The slab of tuna was very nicely grilled and tasty.

I couldn't help but notice the meal a couple across. The guy had the burger, a humongous burger with a stalk of broccoli that looked ten feet tall. His dinner partner had the French Dip. I asked them about their meals and they both liked their entree, however, they raved about their broccoli.

The service was prompt, friendly, and attentive. The prices were moderate. Again, the only drawback was being an outcast from nostalgia to a dining area with no real pizzazz.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed October 26, 2018

We went back to our fave place to eat in VA Beach....Right across from our Fave Hotel, the Wyndham Baymont Inn and Suites....1200 block Atlantic Ave..... Right on the strip and close to lots of great bars and eateries!

At the Raven, you are allowed to smoke in the bar.....there are TV's for sports and music playing.....There is an outside covered area for non smokers to eat which is very comfortable as well!

We like it so we can have some drinks and smoke and watch all the sports....We so enjoyed watching Skins beat Dallas this last weekend....Nice to see all the Skins fans...

Their food is amazing! We had the fish and chips....best we have had in a long time! The french onion soup and Clam Chowder is fab! We were treated to the dessert for hubby's Birthday.....Peanut Butter Cheese cake.....Amazing!

You need to visit....A blast from the past....a wonderful long lasting place that is so great!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 17, 2018

We have been visiting Virginia Beach for over 30 years and we always make The Raven our restaurant for our first dinner at the beach. Once you try their crab cakes, either a sandwich or platter, be prepared to ask for them the next time you visit. I have and I enjoy them each time as if it was my first time. Go ahead get something else, but trust me, on your next visit, you'll be ordering the crabs cakes again. Lots of other items on their menu as well, but for me there is no other choice.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank Gregory L
Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

Stay clear of this place. The flies are over bearing and the food and drinks were not good. The place is old and needs a good cleaning.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 22, 2018 via mobile

Wandering up Atlantic Ave, looking for lunch, and the low prices, laid back atmosphere of The Raven caught our eye. We walked in and we're hit with the smokey smell. Upon asking for non-smoking, we were led to a side addition which smelled a little strange itself. None the less, we soldiered on. The tablecloths were the oil skin type and there were a couple families besides ourselves sitting there. This side addition is narrow..you can't fit more than 6 at a table or you would literally be wall to wall.
Our orders consisted of French Dip sandwich, bacon cheeseburgers, fish and chips and a kids meal of chicken nuggets and smiley face fries. The fish and chips were declared Delicious. The French dip had mixed reviews....the flavor was good BT the bun was soggy on bottom (before dipping it) so that was a bit of a turn off. The au jus was like an onion soup...there was broth but also chock full of onions too. It was good but different then anything I've had with french dip au jus.
The real star was the Bacon cheeseburgers. Enough bacon to have bacon in every bite, the flavor of the burger was ooohed over. Everyone was very quiet and very busy eating. Two days later, they still want to go back for another.

Date of visit: August 2018

Been to Raven Restaurant? Share your experiences!