“Perfect romantic date spot”

Terrapin Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 32nd Street & Holly Road
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

We went here on a double date for our anniversary and couldn’t have asked for a better experience. I highly recommend the tasting menu which is 4 courses, but be warned that the courses are full size so come hungry. There was a course or item we ordered that wasn’t perfect. The wait staff worked together make sure everything was served and removed promptly.

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

We came here on a Monday night in August and walking in the door the temperature was about 75 degrees.
It took 30 minutes to get out the appetizer and then another hour for the salad.
The food was okay, not great. I would not recommend the truffle Mac and cheese.
Tough pasta and not very flavorful.

Reviewed July 13, 2018

The reviews I read on Terrapin promised excellent food in Virginia Beach, and they were correct. The space is very nice, and not pretentious at all. We dressed "casual dressy" and fit right in. The service was good, but a bit disorganized at the beginning. We both opted for the tasting menu, while our 11 yo son (picky eater) had a custom meal which suited him well. Kudos to Terrapin for accommodating special dietary desires, and also for allowing diners to separately choose their courses on the tasting menu! On to the food! I had the CANTALOUPE GAZPACHO, which is absolutely fabulous. She had the HEIRLOOM BABY BEET SALAD, and was a bit disappointed. That was good news for me as she passed it over to me. This salad is excellent, but understated. It is visually beautiful and quite tasty.
For the second course, she had the Risotto. This was a grand slam (kudos to the chef), and could be served at the top notch restaurants in NYC. I had the Burrata, which was a bit disappointing to me as it seemed a bit bland.
For the entree, she had very well prepared scallops with mushrooms and a hint of fennel. Yummy! I went for the BOUILLABAISSE, which while tasty was a bit dissappointing. This is not your typical BOUILLABAISSE. It was spicy due to the inclusion of a few sliced jalapenos. Not what I expected, and that certainly blew away my desired yearning for the taste of saffron. Likewise the rouille was not what I consider traditional, as it lacked the strong garlic and saffron punch that I like. It was also served already slathered upon a single slab of bread, rather than in a side dish with small garlic toasts.
For dessert, the waiter was again very accomodating to our son, and the coffee was ethereal. Well done Terrapiin Restaurant! Definitely recommended.

Reviewed June 21, 2018 via mobile

Terrapin has definitely earned every one of its 4 Diamonds from AAA. The menu is farm and sea to table. The staff is impeccable and the food is the best I've ever had in Virginia Beach. Chef Rodney us a modest man, but his food speaks volumes on his behalf. Brian is the kind of GM that earns life-long loyalty from patrons.

The only possible suggestion I have is to feature a few more Virginia wines... But their wine list is excellent nevertheless.

Do not miss Terrapin!

Reviewed June 18, 2018

Quite the swanky joint! Hard to find so use GPS. The best calamari I have EVER eaten and I’ve been around 70 years. Rest of the food we enjoyed was equally as delightful. A bit pricey for VA Beach but don’t let that stop you from treating yourself!