“Here for a Conference - Great!!”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #64 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Newport News, VA
“Here for a Conference - Great!!”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

A great hotel - very nicely priced, especially for Williamsburg; very nice conference facilities; convenient to everything in town, and the room was nice. My family traveled with me on this trip, and they had a good time. The pool was a great bonus for our daughter, and the hotel bar was a nice place to get a drink and talk with other people from the conference in the evening. We used the hotel restaurant for breakfast, and it was very good.

I have been here before (for other conferences), and I suspect that I will be back again in the future. One of our favorite places in Williamsburg.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank prochuck
FOM3032, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Dear Prochuck,

Let me thank you for your continued patronage to the Williamsburg area and especially to our hotel. Our top priority with every conference is to make sure everything goes the best that we can possibly make it in the hopes that it, along with it's members, will come back to us over and over again. In your case it sounds like that is what happened. I'm glad you were able to bring your family and you were all able to use the number of ammenities we offer. We appreciate you taking the time to review us again and I'm sure we'll see you again sometime soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Dinwiddie, Virginia
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This hotel is a disgusting joke. Unfortunately since it was the lowest bidder, our government agency used it for our retreat. Upon our arrival, the sound system was not working. At lunch, the silverware was filthy, they food was disgusting, and the wait staff was very lazy and unhelpful. When I checked into my room, everything looked okay.. until I went into the bathroom. There were feces stuck to the toilet bowl and there was hair on the floor. There has been a soda can in the floor in the stairwell at least since I got here. Dinner was foul. Again the silverware was dirty, the cloth napkins were faded and shoved into glasses and had obviously not been ironed. The roast beef was sour, the green beans tasted like the metal can they came from, and again the wait staff was useless. I thought surely the pool couldn't be bad, but it was. The water was slimy and there was trash all over the concrete around the pool. Breakfast was another disappointment. At 6:30 am (thirty minutes after breakfast was supposed to be available), there was only cold cereal and orange juice. I had to ask for apple juice after it was advertised to be part of the breakfast. Luckily, I will be checking out soon. I hope to never be unfortunate enough to stay at this or any other Holiday Inn or affliated hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Carrie_Bolton
Dear Carrie_Bolton,

First let me sincerely appologize that we were not able to come close to satisfying you during your stay. As far as I know the majority of the conference attendees were satisfied with their stay but we obviously came up short in your eyes. As with anything IT there are sometimes glitches that need to be worked out, unfortunately there was an issue with the sound system initially, however I'm glad we were able to resolve that for the remainder of the conference. I spoke to the dining staff immediately following your post regarding the silverware and presentation during the meals. As far as the dinner, we did recieve a few other complaints regarding the green beans and we did speak with the chef regarding this, again I'm sorry for that, but as far as the rest of dinner we were notified via the conference coordinator that everyone enjoyed themselves. The dining room does regularly open at 6:30 AM every day, I'm not sure where the confusion was regarding that. Also every conference is different regarding what is served for breakfast, we do have a variety of other things readily available that we advertise but usually provide what is contracted in terms of food and drink. I am again sincerely sorry that we could not meet your expectations and only wish you had addressed your concerns with us while you were here so we could have provided you with a better stay.

Travellers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels

Williamstown, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 August 2011

If in Williamsburg you want to consider staying here. Really clean rooms, friendly staff and good prices.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear John L,

I like your review, short and to the point. It's great to have someone that travels as yourself and is experienced at writing reviews leave a great review for our property and we very much appreciate that. Thanks again for taking the time to let us know about your stay, hopefully see you again soon.
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Right from the time I checked in, the staff at this hotel made me feel very comfortable. They answered all the questions I had about the area, i.e things to do, directions, places to eat, etc. My kids had a bunch of fun in the pool area and game room. Great location close to all the action! We will defnately be returning here!

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Ksp2k8,

Let me first thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm glad the staff was able to be of assistance to you and your family during your vacation. It's also great to hear that you were able to enjoy our ammenities while at our property and you found the location very convenient for what you were doing while in the Williamsburg area. We very much appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you back here in the future.
Rumson, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I stayed here during a son's trip with his school to the Heritage Music Festival this past April. Not much to say other than the room was dingy and the furnishings and decor is tired and way past replacement time. My sheets were clean, but I removed the bedspread immediately. The bathroom needed more than a good scrub-down; stains on tile and cracked caulk that needed repair. I don't know about all the rooms, but mine could use a good overhaul. Lots of high school kids from several schools were staying there, so I can't complain too much about the noise at night. I knew the situation.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
FOM3032, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Dear Looking-Ahead,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I'm very sorry you were inconvenienced by being in one of our rooms that had some older fixtures and furnishing. I can assure you that since April, we have upgraded that room and made any necessary repairs to provide nothing less than a quality room to our guests. We do our best to ensure every room is of equal quality, unfortunately we came up short in your case. I would very much like the opportunity to have you back, even in that same room if you like, to show you how we are constantly making improvements. Please feel free to contact me directly at 757-565-2600 ext 169, I look forward to hearing from you and providing you with the hotel stay you deserve.
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a family vacation and found the room dated and dirty. The carpet in the room had a huge wrinkle in it that my 2.5 year old kept tripping over. The bathroom had hair, dirt and mold in it. The towels in the bathroom had stains on them. We had a cot delivered to the room that no adult could have slept on because it was missing so many springs that it was not safe for someone larger than a child. Also, we were in a non-smoking room that reeked of smoke. We were so unhappy with the room that we called around the area trying to find another hotel to stay in. We travel to Williamsburg and will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank shb33
Dear SHB33,

I am very sorry to hear there were so many things that went wrong with your stay with us. Believe me when I tell you I had a very long talk with my housekeeping manager regarding your post. Almost everything you mentioned in your post is preventable with the correct attention to detail, and unfortunately it took your post for me to remind some of our staff here about that. Regarding the smoke in the room, sometimes people take it upon themselves to do as they please, such as smoking in a non-smoking room, which is unacceptable because then it leads to disturbing other guests. We take this very seriously for obvious reasons and charge fees accordingly due to the fact the rooms need additional deep cleaning through outside vendors to remove the smell of smoke. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your, and sincerely appologize that we weren't able to better provide you with the stay you deserve. I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your stay, please feel free to contact me at 757-565-2600 ext 169. I look forward to speaking with you.
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I have stayed at this property a couple of times in the past. The staff is very accomodating for any questions I have ever had about the area, or any assistance I need at all. I have always had a clean, comfortable room when I have stayed here. Free wifi is always helpful for me to get my work done. That's about it, I have never had any problems when I have stayed here, that is why I continue to return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
FOM3032, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Fightinirishgreen,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stays with us. It is good to know that on a continuous basis we are able to meet your expectations. You have a lot of options when choosing a hotel to stay at in this area and we most certainly appreciate you returning to our hotel when you come to town. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to having you back here again soon.