New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Homewood Suites Williamsburg

Homewood Suites Williamsburg
Ranked #26 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Warrenton, Virginia
“Great room for the money, avoid breakfast!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We had 2 adults and 3 children staying for the New Years weekend festivities in the Colonial and surrounding areas. I was impressed in finding a suite that could easily accomodate 5 people and with such a great price.

We arrived at 4:35p and were told that our room wasn't ready yet but they would work on it while we checked in and it would be ready in 10 minutes. We completed check-in and she said, "Ok, give them about 20 minutes and you are all set". "20 minutes?" I said, "I thought it would be ready now since it's 45 minutes after check in time." She said to just give them a little more time to be sure it was all ready. So we hung out downstairs in the "lounge" near the breakfast area and over-chlorinated pool and "arcade" (3 game machines). I tried to find a restroom and the only one was in the pool area and the floor was covered in water, so I decided against it. I did notice that there were 50-60 dishes in the breakfast area from that morning that were unclean and stacked up in the corner, but in plain sight. In general, the common areas were clean, but nothing spectacular. Looked a little dated in person than it did in pictures, but nothing that made you feel like you were taking a trip back 20 years! I'd say new wallpaper and new carpet and this place would have a great face-lift.

We waited a bit and went up to our room. it was nice and spacious. I turned on the ice maker in the freezer and continued to check out the rooms. The only drawback to the rooms I found was that there is no privacy from the bathrooms to the bedrooms. There are doors to both, but no option to close off the whole area in case you wanted to come from the bathroom to the bedroom in a towel just after a shower. Unfortunately for me, I woke up both mornings feeling like I could have slept on the counter and been more comfortable since my back was so sore.

We woke up later than the breakfast service in the morning so we headed out to the many choices of restaurants in the area which was a big plus. We were out for several hours and returned around 2pm to find that the room hadn't been cleaned. The housekeeper came about 30 minutes later and appeared surprised that we were there. She offered to give us more towels and empty the trash - which she did do. Before going out again, I tried to fill up my glass (very short glasses in the cupboard) with ice, but there was none in the icemaker. Being and all-suite hotel, they have no ice machines, so we didn't get any ice.

The next morning, we attempted to try the breakfast. The 1/2 bagel we got was horrible, we tried to make toast thinking that you can't go wrong, but nearly burned it on the level 2 setting. Then we found ants crawling around and just left. Very little staff in the area and again dishes piled up. Glad we didn't go there specifically for the included breakfast!

Upon checking out, we realized that we lost a music player and I asked the man at the desk if one had been turned in. He said he hasn't seen one and all of the lost and found is locked up in "this drawer here". I asked if he'd open it to see if it was there and he said he didn't have access (So then how did he or didn't he see it or anything else?) I have since called 3 other people there to see if someone can open the magic drawer and keep getting pushed off to "someone else has to access it".

Overall, great price for the room especially to accommodate 5 people in one room. Very convenient to shopping, dining, historic area, college and the interstate. Would seriously reconsider going back again due to check-in issues, breakfast, and lack of assistance when needed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

This was my third stay at this property in three years. I can say over that time the rooms, lobby and the breakfast have all slowly deteriorated. This is sad to me because I have always liked this hotel and the location. This trip showed more wear and tear than usual for some reason. For whatever reason, I have had the same room three times...the exact same room, so that is what I am baseing my review on. Little things like a toilet seat not staying up, shower head not fully functioning, long black hair in the tub and a jacuzzi tub which did not look like it had been used, or cleaned for some time. The breakfast was fine, the biggest issue was with people coughing into the open serving dishes for the eggs, or walking around in their bare feet. I will say the sausages were cold, or overdone and the eggs were runny, but other items were fine.

Overall the location is very good to get to Colonial Williamsburg or Busch Gardens. I think with a little capital investment the proporty would be very nice once again, especially in the competitive hotel market in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank GoodFood88
HMPHotels, Manager at Homewood Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. It helps us provide better service to you and to future guests to hotel. We are currently looking into your concerns about the breakfast staff and your room. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We will be making the necessary adjustments to make this hotel better.

Thanks again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

We had stayed at this hotel once before a few years ago and was very pleased so we returned for our anniversary celebration; however, it did not go well. We checked in and went to our room and inserted key - walked in and there were clothes everywhere. Back to the front desk we found out our whirlpool equipped room we booked months in advance was not available - night clerk had allowed the previous inhabitants to extend their stay despite our reservation and the only other whirlpool room was not available as well. As others have stated, the breakfast operation was a disaster - black friday indeed. The hotel was not prepared at all to deal with crowd - no utensils, plates, and napkins and limited food choices if you could get some. I had to eat my cereal with a fork -only utensil available. We have stayed at many Homewood Suites and found this to be our worst experience.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve B
Key West, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

First off, let me say that I have a pretty good knowledge of the current hotel market, travelling a fair amount for both business and pleasure. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I should let you know that I have an affinity for 2 or 3 particular hotel brands, the Hilton brand being one of them. I also should say that I lean on the reviews of fellow travellers who post reviews on TripAdvisor alot to orient me towards a specific hotel. All this to say, I think i let my affinity to the Hilton brand sway me a bit too much this time, not taking into account more fully the lower ranking that the Homewood Suites has on TripAdvisor.

Anyways, we were looking for a large suite that could accomodate a family of seven. The suite at Homewood Suites fit the bill just nicely both in terms of size, price, location, and conveniences offered. The hotel is nicely situated to Colonial Williamsburg -- only a 2 minute drive to the welcome center and 5 minutes to just about any restaurant you would be interested in eating at. The suite was nicely appointed with up-to-date furnishings. The bedding was comfortable and spacious and boasted 3 TVs (nice for a family having diverse viewing tastes!). The room, which faced the main road which had a lot of traffice, was very quiet. Everything was clean and fresh, though the bathroom caulking was missing in several placed and where it was applied, clearly appeared that it was applied by an non-professional.

Anyways, the reason that I am withholding a star was the advertised complimentary hot breakfast buffet was significantly challenged both days of our stay. On both days, food bins (both hot and cold) were constantly empty. This resulted in queues of guests waiting for the food to be replenished, which resulted in a backup in the dining area (no tables, chairs available), which resulted in even more shortages of eating utensils (forks/spoons, bowls, plates). The combination of these factors made the dining area into a scene from Black Friday (think pepper spray, stampede, rude behavior, etc.). This was not a place to enjoy a breakfast on vacation. On my first morning, after waiting awhile, decided it just wasn't worth getting involved with what I was seeing and skipped breakfast (well, I had a cup of coffee). The second morning, I ended up getting the dregs of the oatmeal bin (I never eat oatmeal) and a 6oz container of yogurt (I very rarely eat yogurt). Oh, and I sat on the floor in front of the fireplace. If I did not know that Williamsburg perennially is a destination stay during this timeframe, I would chalk this up to the hotel staff being caught "unawares". But Christmas/New Years is definitely a hotspot for tourism during this time, so I must conclude that hotel management has an area of concern here that needs addressing.

I am withholding a second star for a similar and related reason---service and attention to detail. Reason #1: My daughter forgot her toothbrush (1st time ever for her doing this, and the 2nd time anyone in our family has done this) and when we went to the front desk to get a complimentary toothbrush they told her they were out of them. Reason #2: On our 2nd day, after our room was serviced, the toilet paper was not resupplied which resulted in a special request. Reason #3: Both days we only had 6 sets of linens for a family reservation for seven---another special request. Reason #4: Both days (both weekdays) the complimentary US Today paper bin was empty.

Taking the host of issues we had with our stay, I would say that the hotel management is cutting corners to minimize expenses (who can blame them?) but unfortunately taken together all added up to a stay that was less than satisfactory and one which diminished my overall affinity to the Hilton brand. I was tempted to withhold a 3rd star (for the disappointment factor) just so that another traveller won't think that this will add up to an a typical enjoyable stay for them---because I don't think it would. I will let others discount this 3rd star based upon their own assessment of enjoyment in staying at a hotel having these deficiencies.

I guess there is a reason that this hotel is ranked #35 out of 92 hotels in Williamsburg. For my vacation money, I will stay at one of the other 34 better ranked hotels next time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank 1-spidermonkey-1
HMPHotels, Manager at Homewood Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, 31 December 2011
Thank you very much for the very detailed review of your stay. We apologize for concern about the breakfast. We are currently working on this issue with our management team. We apologize for not having the much needed complimentary services that we provide to our guests. We are currently looking in to this issue. We strive as a hotel to provide all of our guests with a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay.

Thank you again for your review. We hope that you will consider us again on future visits to the area.
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

We are a family with a pre-teen child, and wanted a clean, safe place to stay during a multi-day visit to Colonial Williamsburg. Our room was spacious, had a good layout and a real kitchenette with 2 burners, microwave, etc. The lobby and common areas were all fine, too, though nothing spectacular.

The best thing, however, is the location... Just 2 minutes drive to the historical site visitors center, and maybe 10 minutes from Busch Gardens. We visited in between Xmas and New Years, and it wasn't crowded at all. Couldn't be happier with this aspect of the stay.

The hotel was full when we visited, and unfortunately the breakfast was just a fiasco. It was overcrowded, and it appeared that they didn't have enough people working (by the look of it, it was just 2 or 3 people being run ragged). Dishes werent being cleared and tables were dirty. Worse yet, they were out of food, pastries, plates, etc. on 3 separate days. The staff were apologetic, but it demonstrated poor advance planning and compelled us to leave the hotel each morning to get a full breakfast. We should be able to sleep in and still be able to get a real meal, as long as we get there before closing time.

We raised these concerns with management, and they were very patient and understanding; we didn't get a brush-off and they made us feel as though they wanted to resolve the issue. Time will tell. Watch future reviews to see if the breakfast problems are resolved.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Bonbonmontreal
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our guest is our number one priority. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We are currently as a management team addressing the issues that occurred with our breakfast during the holidays. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will consider us again on future visits to the area.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I was burning Hhonors points for the stay. If I hadn't been burning points, I would likely have not spent the money as the rate is REALLY pricey for just two. If you're housing four or more, then the price may be worth it if you eat the complimentary breakfasts and dinners served during the weekdays (which we did). Note, there isn't a dinner Friday night, so your value drops at that point. The breakfast and dinner quality is okay. I've had better and worse. The staff is very pleasant and personable. The room was huge, comfortable, and if you want to cook for yourself, then this property is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Any room looks good