“Best hotel food I've ever had”
Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We attended a weekend conference here during off-season. The facility was very nice, and the staff was great. The food for our group of 100+ was the best mass-produced hotel food I've ever had! We were served a plated dinner one evening, and the rest of the meals were served buffet style. The breakfast and lunch buffets were unbelievable - with a wide assortment of choices to cater to everyone's taste. The food was flavorful and cooked to perfection. Nothing was dry, bland or overcooked. I would definitely return if just for the food!

We stayed in one of the bungalows, which had a lovely view of an outlet to the James River. The bed mattress was a bit hard, but I'm used to a very soft mattress. Unfortunately my husband didn't sleep well because the heating unit was blowing directly on him all night, but we only stayed one night, otherwise I would have spoken up to the staff.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EAF496
Write a ReviewReviews (1,749)

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Beautiful grounds and river view. Lovely suite, more than I expected. Excellent meals. Great spa experience. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Suites are beautiful especially with River View.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Whitney R
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Kingsmill resort is a beautiful resort. The staff is very friendly. The breakfast at the Bray restaurant was exceptional. My wife said the spa was outstanding and I can tell you playing golf at both courses is not a bad way to spend a day. The whirlpool was warm at best and very clean. The Eagles restaurant is okay -- limited menu and a bit pricey (we opted to eat off sight as there are many alternatives within 10 miles). We stayed in a one bedroom suite and it was very spacious. Other reviews of this facility made reference to the "thin walls". Trust me, believe what you read!!! There was family of four above us and we could hear the father sneeze and anytime they walked around sounded like a stampede. Forget taking an afternoon nap because one of the kids attempted be Kenny G (I may never be able to listen to him again). Oops I failed to mention a vibrating heater (located on the outside of our unit -- building 18) woke us up twice (once at 3:17 am and the other at 12:49 am) -- both resulted in phone calls to the front desk urging immediate intervention. The couch and chairs in the living room are fair at best -- trust me, you can't sleep in them. We had hoped for some rest during our 3 night/4 day stay and now need another vacation to recover from this one. I must give credit to where credit is due. When we checked out, we once again politely voiced our displeasure and the assistant manager did make some concessions on our bills -- we didn't ask for it, he volunteered this and was most apologetic. Gorgeous facility but vacationers need to insist knowing who your neighbors are.

Room Tip: Big ear plugs
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chuck W
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Kingsmill Resort is perfect. In December, 1991, my best friend from Jacksonville, Florida, came for a visit; and we stayed in a River Suite. Last week she came again, and we stayed at another River Suite. Since we had only one night there, we did not visit Colonial Williamsburg or any tourist sites: we simply stayed inside and enjoyed the luxury of our suite, the expansive view of the James River, and room service. The Front Desk graciously allowed us to stay two extra hours beyond our eleven o'clock check out. What a blessing! Shopping tip: I suggest that you check the Gift Shop and its Brighton jewelry. My friend bought me a pendant necklace that I will cherish as a reminder of our special time there.

Room Tip: Choose any one-bedroom suite on the James River.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jnewskip
Reviewed 27 January 2012

My husband had a conference here for a few days and since we had never been to this part of the country decided to make a longer stay and enrich our knowledge of US history.
This resort has it all...something for everyone. Serveral differant types of dwellings from large homes to condos. This is a very busy resort and caters to couples, families, business, solo travelers, large gatherings, weddings, etc. It has golf, indoor/outdoor pools, a marina, fitness center, bikes to rent, complete spa, staff drivern golf carts to transport you to your rooms or other parts of the resort, tennis court, racketball/basketball, fitness center, restaurants and lounges, jogging/walking trail and kids camp. Plus a scheduled shuttle service to Colonial Williamsburg, Water Country, and Busch Gardens.
We stayed in one of their condos (several units per condo) building #24 upstairs (no elevator). Our very well maintained unit was like a small modern, professsionally decorated & completely furnished home with separate bedroom, bath, fully stocked kitchen (all cooking needs provided for long stays with new appliances (full sized stove, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher & microwave), dining area, a laundryroom with washer/dryer and living area with nice size balcony. There's a television in the livingroom and one in the bedroom. The living room has a big fireplace and lovely comfortable furniture with a foldout sofa. The bedroom had a big walkin closet (plush robes/slippers included) with safe, a raised, cozy bed with a thick down comforter & lovely linens. The tiled spotless bathroom had a large shower. Many of the units connect for large families.
The staff was friendly, helpful, and very courteous.
The Moody's Bar (upstairs from the entrance lobby) was huge with a lodge decor, large fireplace, sports prodcasts on several monitors, a separate game room with billards, backgammon table, card tables, dart boards, light snacks, cigars, a fireplace, flat screem tvs, and large outdoor balcony.
We had dinner at Brae Bistro - seafood buffet ($30 per person), very nice wine list, and view of historic James River - great service!
A very limited wine variety however. Guitar man for entertainment was pretty good.
We had dinner at Braie Bistro-a good variety and flavorful seafood buffet ($30 per person), an excellent wine list, view of the historic James River and great service!
Wonderful experience and stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank dreamdestinations
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We had such a great time. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen (stocked with cooking utensils and dinnerware). It was bigger than our first apartment. :) The linens on the king bed were amazingly comfortable. The rooms were clean, the robes were soft, the grounds were beautiful, and the staff was very obliging. We have no complaints whatsoever from our 3 day/2 night trip.

I called about an hour before arriving to ask for a pack-n-play. It was not only in the room upon our arrival, but they included a free care package of baby supplies: baby shampoo, Desitin, baby powder, etc. We weren't planning on using the washer/dryer during such a short trip, but I'm so glad that it was there. We ended up needing to do a small load, and when I called the front desk to ask if they sold one time use packages of detergent, they offered to deliver a free sample to our room.

We used the free shuttle every time we went somewhere within the resort and it was always very prompt. The drivers were all very kind even when I boarded with two damp kids after swimming in the pool. The pool was nice and everyone had fun. We also enjoyed the park that is by the main building and went for a couple of walks around the property.

We stayed at Kingmill because my husband had a business conference, and the kids and I had a very relaxing weekend and were well taken care of. Also, the food that was provided for our meals (I'm assuming that it was catered by the resort) was delicious, and they had a large variety. I can't really speak about the value because we didn't pay for the room (my husband's job covered everything), but as you can see, I ranked everything else "Excellent". We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a river view. I believe that all the rooms either have water/golf views...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank danandem2002
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This place reminds me more of a timeshare than a hotel! I reserved a one bedroom suite for 3 nights, during Christmas week. I paid $179 a night for 3 nights. What a great deal! My room had a fireplace, a balcony overlooking the river, a full kitchen equipped with everything u could need, the living space was as large as a hotel room, and my bedroom was huge! The bathroom had a glass shower and was very roomy!

The grounds at the Kingsmill are landscaped beautifully and they are always working to keep the property pristine.

They also have multiple dining options to choose from and the
hotel staff was extremely accommodating!

I would definitely come back again and again! In fact I will never stay at another hotel in williamburg again.

• Stayed: December 2011