“Nice, Cheap, Clean, Close to many attractions...”

Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
San Diego, California
“Nice, Cheap, Clean, Close to many attractions...”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

While the front desk staff leaves a bit to be desired, the hotel is centrally located, the rooms were VERY tidy, and the breakfast was good. If you can get a good rate on this hotel, it will make for a nice stay. Another great alternative is the Comfort Inn and Suites (same type of amenities but newer). Oh yeah...this hotel has a microwave, and mini fridge ~ super useful with a family!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
hgiwilliamsburg, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It concerns me that you had a bad impression of our front desk. I would like to personally apologize for the front desk not showing you the level of customer service that we have trained them to provide to all of our guests.It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again in the future.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Greek first
Falling Waters, West Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Easter weekend this year. It was our 3rd trip to this hotel. We didn't think that the front desk staff was as friendly as they were during previous visits (perhaps they didn't want to be working on Easter) but the rooms were clean and well appointed, the breakfast service was excellent and the location is great. Our kids love the cookies at night and it was nice that they put a chocolate bunny in the room in recognition of the holiday. There is an especially nice older lady who works breakfast who even remembered us from a previous trip. We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that we were able to make your kids happy while you were stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. .

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The hotel's location is great because it is on Richmond Road with all the restaurants and the outlets and the historic area are close by. We always enjoy the Food for Thought restaurant across the street.

It was a typical Hilton Garden Inn. The free cookies at check-in are always wonderful. The front desk was nothing special. I didn't really find them friendly like the other Hiltons I have stayed at.

The beds are usually always comfortable at the Hiltons and that is one reason I like them. I also like the refrigerators in the room.

The breakfast here was just okay. The service was wonderful by the lady hosts, but I thought the food could have been better. The french toast didn't have any taste and the potatoes (the ones left) were bland too. The omelet we had was decent. The biscuits were old and/or overcooked and you couldn't eat them.

The prices are a little high for the weekend compared to some of the other similar places nearby.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank travel4me_9296
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It as a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again in the future.

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This property is located on a pretty busy thoroughfare in Williamsburg. However, it sits back off the road and the noise it not noticeable. Standard HGI adjustable mattresses make sleeping very rewarding. Front desk staff is helpful and cheerful. If you partake of the full breakfast, the server is like your mom. She is bubbly, gracious and a wonderful ambassador for Williamsburg. I stay here on business several times a year and always have a great stay. As with all Williamsburg hotels, off-season rates are a steal.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Parlin, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Very nice hotel, clean and spacious rooms. I went with family and had a great time. Good fresh breakfast was included with the room rate.

Room Tip: Request a high floor suite
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
hgiwilliamsburg, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for posting comments about your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I'll start off by saying that I booked a week in advance, used my credit card to secure my room, and chose the breakfast-inclusive package. I know this because we were planning to go to Busch Gardens and it was Easter Sunday so I knew restaurants would be crazy busy and I wanted the easiest option. When we got there I was told I hadn't picked that option and informed that the rate I booked at home was not going to be the same by the time I checked in unless I prepay. What? I have booked A LOT of hotels online and have never been told that I could expect a different rate from booking to check in. I am 100% positive that I chose the "special deal" which was breakfast for 4 but the desk clerk I spoke to insisted this was not the case. Eventually I spoke to a different clerk who gave me the voucher (honestly, I didn't care that much but the rate conversation had me irritated) and apologized. I realize I don't work in hospitality but I'm pretty sure if a customer came to me with an issue like this I would just apologize for the mistake and fork over the stupid vouchers. Instead she dug in and that just set the tone for the rest of our stay.

Onto the room... The beds were pretty bad. I know the hotel has Sleep Number beds but I didn't request that and our mattresses were pretty sunken and lousy. The pillows were good, I will say that. The room was obviously decorated in the late 80's and never updated, the ceilings were low and the room was muggy. I can't stand a muggy hotel room. I can see by other reviews that people had entirely different experiences so it's possible that room 314 is just lousy. We were there for 2 nights and our room was only turned once.

The toilet ran on and off the entire weekend. There were hairs in the shower and oddly the shower curtain just barely cleared the top of the tub so water just sprayed everywhere. The products provided were decent.

The room does have a microwave but no table so you could nuke something but you'd have no where to eat it.

There is a nice little indoor pool that the kids enjoyed, a hot tub, and a decent little work out room. There's also a kid who works nights at the desk, Austin, who was super courteous and helpful and eventually solved my stupid voucher issue.

For the rate we ended up paying I have stayed at MUCH nicer hotels and I will choose differently next trip to Williamsburg.

Room Tip: Avoid room 314... apparently it's the worst room they've got.
5 Thank CarolinaMidwife
Thank you for posting comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to see that you had problems during your stay with us. I am unsure about what the desk clerk was referring to about the rate increasing at check-in. Our rates do not increase at check-in; they stay the same as what you booked the hotel room at. I would like to personally apologize for the state the room was in. I wish you had informed us of the cleaning and maintenance issues so we could have taken care of the problem while you were staying at the hotel. We have a high standard of cleanliness that our housekeeping staff must uphold and I am ashamed that you did not experience that during our stay. I am glad to hear that your kids did enjoy the pool and Austin showed you excellent customer service. Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. I have already up held the Hilton Garden Inn “Promise” and made an adjustment to your bill for the inconveniences that you encountered. We do you hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

DeKalb, IL
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Colonial Williamsburg. The hotel looked nice and clean and so was our room. I like the high ceilings. They make the room seem larger. We had a room on the first floor near the stairs, and we could hear people arriving back at the hotel and climbing up the stairs in the middle of the night. Also, the garbage truck in the morning was quite loud, but the dumpster was right across from our room. I would ask for a room that's not on the first floor if we visit Williamsburg again. The hotel is very conveniently located by tons of restaurants and tourist spots. We never had to drive more than 5-10 minutes to get somewhere.

The front desk staff were nice but not very helpful. The first night, we asked for a recommendation for a good seafood restaurant in town, and they referred us to the hotel-owned seafood restaurant right our front (no thanks). The second day, we realized that one of the tires on our car was losing air and needed a patch or a plug. They referred us to the Goodyear store down the street (which had terrible reviews online) and to a Toyota dealership (for my Nissan?). Walking back to our room, I saw one of the hotel's maintenance guys and asked him if he could recommend a service station in town. He gave my husband directions to a great service station about 3 miles away. We were very appreciative of that reference knowing that we had an 800 mile drive back home.

The pool was a little small but nice. There was usually about 6-10 kids in it at any given time, but that didn't bother my kids.

The wi-fi was pretty fast. I would stay here again, and I would recommend it to friends (and tell them to ask for a room on the second floor or higher).

• Stayed April 2012