“Good food/good value”

Price range: US$1 - US$43
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Small colonial/country adult restaurant. Food is above average as are the prices, but it's a good value and a charming place, good for special occasions. We discovered the small dining room on the 2nd fl that seats 4:
very private and charming. Manager v. friendly

4  Thank James W

Reviewed 10 September 2011

We have been to "The Kitchen" before (see review from Mrs. CWC). This visit was just as good as always. The serve was great. I had a dish that had a soft shell crab on it and the waiter asked if I know how to eat it. He asked becaues some people did not know how. The meals, all 3, were cooked just right. This place has got to be my fav. restaurant. Have been here many times and will be back many more!!

2  Thank WarrenC5
Reviewed 14 June 2011

During our Memorial Day week stay in Williamsburg we had dinner at this small restaurant on the grounds of the Powhatan Plantation. We also stayed at the Powhatan as well. At the time we were there, it was open only later in the week so we had our dinner there Sunday evening. The space is small inside but they have just added a large deck outside overlooking a lovely pond. It was not open at that time but at any rate we loved the main dining area. We felt like we were dining in someone's living room. Beautiful lighting, paintings and lovely table settings. We had drinks before dinner which were alright but not outstanding. What was outstanding were our meals. My husband had their special salmon in partchment paper with potatoes, and vegetables. Cooked to perfection in a delicious cream sauce. I had the curried duck breast cooked just as ordered...medium rare with wonderful sides. We had a bottle of our favorite wine and were told we could take home what we had not consumed -- we were surprised! Our waiter was helpful and there when you needed him. When we told him how much we had enjoyed our meals he told us the chef was only in the kitchen 3 days - having come from another fine restaurant in Williamsburg (wooed away by the owner) we asked if we could compliment him in person...he came out and was all smiles. He said they would be revamping the menu and he had plans to make "The Kitchen" even better....We think they will do that with the fine wait staff and creative chef in the kitchen. Thanks for a wonderful evening and best wishes to chef and owner...Connecticut Diners

2  Thank creekertraveller
Reviewed 10 October 2010

My husband and I stopped here for dinner one night because were staying at the Powhatan Resort and we didn't feel like heading out into town. It was a last-minute decision and we didn't have any particular expectations about the restaurant. We were pleasantly surprised to find that it ended up being one of the highlights of our vacation - so much so that we ate dinner there a second time before we left! The restaurant is very small - only a few tables - so therefore very cozy and intimate. It is housed in the old kitchen of the plantation and it has wooden floors and a fireplace. The food was exceptional - absolutely perfect! We both had the beef tenderloin and they were cooked exactly as we had requested. The entrees tasted heavenly and the accompanying asparagus was cooked just right as well. I had a wild mushroom soup which was also delicious. I tried two desserts: pecan pie and bananas foster cheesecake. The pecan pie was fantastic and the bananas foster cheesecake was great - it was served flaming! The food was so good that we didn't want it to end. Our server Craig provided excellent service and a great sense of humor which made for a fabulous experience. Much thanks to the staff of The Kitchen for helping provide such memorable dining experiences, and we definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone seeking a special dinner while in Williamsburg.

2  Thank Morpheus25
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We were staying at the Powhatan Resort and decided to try the Grille the last night. What a mistake. Where do I start?
1. Foreign waitress who could hardly understand me.
2. Glaring spotlights on the tables that made the temperature unbearably hot.
3. Slow service.
4. Crab dip - horrible flavor and hardly warm.
5. Chicken fettucine alfredo - the chicken was the processed kind - like from a tyson prepackaged bag - ugghh.
6. Tip is automatically added at 18% - not warranted.

I am NOT a snobby traveler, but this is one of the worst restaurants I've eaten at in a long time.

1  Thank travelfoolIndiana